rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: F53 Chassis 1996 Bounder - another Cruise Control issue - Ford Diagnostic anyone  (Read 2678 times)

Captron

Am new to the forum, have a 97 Bounder and found more interesting stuff here than most anywhere.

Wondering if anyone has a real diagnostic procedure for the F35 460 chassis cruise control.  Surely someone out there has a proper diagnostics procedure for testing these for serviceability?

Have seen the same issue listed here on this list but no real resolution or procedures.
I am beginning to feel it may be a block-connector issue having found a few where the pins had not been seated correctly.

Did all the normal stuff including checking for recall being done, brake switches, fuses, concentric ring contacts in the steering wheel (Tested). 

Worked for a while again on a 10,000km trip then failed 50km from home.  ::)

& How irritating is it that Ford has decided no outward indication the CC is on. Seems very dangerous to me. I may add a couple of low impedance LED's for CC being on and active.

Cheers everyone for your help.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:38:39 PM by Captron »

Lou Schneider

• Global Moderator
  • ---
Welcome to The RV Forum!

The cruise control disengages when it sees voltage on the brake light line, i.e. when you step on the brakes and engage the brake light switch.  Part of the failsafe is the CC applying a low current source to the brake light line when it's engaged and letting continuity through the brake lights pull the voltage to ground.

If someone replaced the brake lights with LEDs, or there's a bad connection between the brake switch and the bulbs or between the the bulbs and chassis ground, the CC signal won't pull low and the CC will disengage just as if you pressed on the brake pedal.

Put a voltmeter on the brake light line after the pedal switch and see if it's staying at ground when the cruise control is turned on.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:42:25 PM by Lou Schneider »

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 99 Country Coach Magna
I have a 97 F53 chassis Fleetwood (Southwind) and I too had CC issues, and frustrated me as well there s no indication it is on.  My issue traced to the connector block and some dirty connections, and solutionn was ID-ing the wires for cruise and bypassing the block connector, it was time consuming but CC works flawlessly now.
Bill & Jolene W (& Koda 6/1/2004 6/15/2019 R.I.P.)
Retired from Old Faithful, Old Guy at Hardware Store
1999 Country Coach Magna 40'. (JUST ONE NOW)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

HueyPilotVN

• ---
Check the Vacuum lines.

Welcome to the Forum,
Bill Waugh
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road
Now just another Lurker

House Husband

• ---
    • Web Master
Check the Vacuum lines.

Welcome to the Forum,

Bill, just so you know, the F53 Ford chassis has used totally electronic cruse control since the first F53 in 1988.
95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
http://MWPSchooners.com

HueyPilotVN

• ---
Sorry for the misdirection.  I remembered that an old motorhome of mine gave me trouble with the cruise control because of a vacuum line issue.

Guess I am just too old.
Bill Waugh
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road
Now just another Lurker

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
Not a ford but a Chevy (And last month a peterbuilt driven by a Truck driver friend of mine)

After a transmission repair the CC would work, or not, as it saw fit.. Poor dealer's technician was swiftly going bald tearing his hair out.

They had unplugged a connector. and when they plugged it back in bent a couple pins. Once we found it all was good for a week. then some idiot in a caddy decided to play freeway billiards and put the red ball (My Chevy was red) in the side pocket. Troopers were amazed I kept it wheels down but I did.. Got to work by tow truck and dropped the remain at the body shop diagonally across the intersection.

The Peterbuilt with the same (Bent pins) issue it was the ECC He had MAJOR issues.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Captron

Lou: Great ideas. I am sure I have LED brake lights from prev owner, but the Bounder put on 10,000km with no issues. I will try the other things.

Pancake Bill: Your assessment sounds much as I fear. Can you ID the block connection you discovered.  Close would be nice as I don't fit well upside down under the dash any more, hunting and pecking with my head going red.

I still think Ford must have a diagnostic proper procedure for hunting down issues on a device that by its very nature canít function while you do the testing. I will let you know if I decide to add a couple of LEDís for power and engaged.

Thanks everyone for trying.

jubileee

• ---
Bill, just so you know, the F53 Ford chassis has used totally electronic cruse control since the first F53 in 1988.
Not to nit pick, but my 1992 Bounder on Ď91 F53 chassis had vacuum controlled cruise control. Tomato can vacuum reservoir rusting out and vacuum lines failing caused problems. I know for a fact that Ď95 was electronic and possibly Ď94.

Captron

Yes it's all electric in the latter part of the 90's
Strikes me that in this RV class A size, you spend a lot of time with very low vacuum on the road, and that a vacuum CC would be a detriment with very little vacuum to activate correctly. On the good side they are almost always hyper mechanical and rarely subject to wiring issues.

Tracking the wiring now I am resorting to unplugging all connections for inspection. This can cause more problems though if not put back right.

Cheers