rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Specific purpose of weep holes  (Read 245 times)

thelazyl

• ---
Specific purpose of weep holes
« on: July 26, 2019, 03:31:20 PM »
I have a very basic question. I tried searching the forum and found some posts on weep holes but I am still unclear about something.

Do the weep holes drain water from interior moisture to the outside?  Or do they drain exterior water? I have rectangular weep outlets on the bottom ledge of the window on the outside. I have double-pane windows that don't accumulate a lot of moisture on the inside. 

We had our RV windows inspected last fall.  Water had gotten into the wall and we noticed the interior window sill was very damp.  The tech simply took an air can and cleared out the weep hole.  The wall has since dried up.

However, it raises a question about their specific function and I wasn't smart enough to ask the tech last fall.

Thanks in advance.

Laura & Charles

• ---
Re: Specific purpose of weep holes
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 03:58:27 PM »
Water runs down the outside of a window and the track it slides in at the bottom acts as a trough and collects it. Since the window frame slides in that trough, it can’t be made water tight and the weep holes give the water a way back outside. 
The first serious rain in our coach formed an impressive pond between the dash and windshield. Turns out that somebody thought it a good idea to caulk the weephole covers on the copilot side window. (We no longer have weep hole covers.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 04:01:11 PM by Laura & Charles »
Living and working full-time out of a:
2011 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 38P;
Workhorse W24; 8.1 Vortec;
Dinghy towing a 2014 Honda CR V;
SMI Stay In Play Duo aux braking system.

thelazyl

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 04:00:22 PM »
Thank you!  This makes perfect sense.

YLBlues

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 12:27:57 AM »
Great information.  Now I know what those “long skinny things” under the windows are.  I’ve noticed a couple that are loose and one missing altogether.

Thanks for helping me to know what to order to repair/replace.
2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QRP
Cummins 425HP/Spartan chassis
TBD Dinghy

Laura & Charles

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 08:11:42 PM »
I removed our weep hole covers.  The only weep holes on our coach that had them were the side windows on both sides of the cockpit. Other windows have weep holes, but no covers. I assume from that, that the purpose of the covers is to reduce wind noise and/or prevent whistling while underway. We’ve not noticed either since removing them.
Living and working full-time out of a:
2011 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 38P;
Workhorse W24; 8.1 Vortec;
Dinghy towing a 2014 Honda CR V;
SMI Stay In Play Duo aux braking system.