Subfloor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camper23

Hello.  We are thinking about buying a 2004 antiqua hybrid.  All of the appliances work but there is a leak on one of the edges replaced with duct tape and we noticed that under the leak the subfloor is rotted in the corner underneath the storage area.  The salesman said that it would be very easy to fix, but everything that I have seen it would need to be torn apart above and then fixed which would be difficult to get at under the tiny storage compartment.  There are also two more soft spots on the floor which I think indicates much of the subfloor might be rotten.  Also, since there has been a leak isn't there likely mold? There is a soft spot along the ceiling where it leaked.  Another concern is that the white "paper" on the ceiling is rippled.  We were told that wasn't a concern and likely just from condensation.  Should there have been "normal" condensation inside that would ripple the ceiling or is this indicative of possibly a larger problem?  Finally we were told we could probably get 6-8 years of use from the camper, but with a rotted subfloor is this possible?  I am looking for guidance from you all since you have likely delt with many of these issues.  Thank you for any help.  We want a camper that is safe for our children, that we don't have to do a lot of work to to get 3-4 years of out it and we are concerned about mold and structural problems.  Does this sound like a possible camper for us or should we move on?  Thank you! 

First  lesson.  ALL SALESMEN LIE!
There are many many used RV on the market.  There is no need to buy your first one knowing your going to have to spend a LOT of time and money to make it useable.  Dont know where you are or your budget, but a quick look in craigslist turns up a lot of decent looking RVs.  There is also a lot of junk thst people think are gold.  You need to look and weed out the good from the bad.  Most all RVs can and do leak.  It is up to the prudent shopper to find ones that have been well taken care of, and if there was a leak that it was promptly addressed.  If you are not a real strong DIYer find someone who has experience, like a good friend and take them with you on a close inspection tour.
Remember this time of year people want lots of money for their rigs.  Wait till closer to fall and prices will drop like a rock.

Welcome to the forum.

That RV could turn into a HUGE money pit. I'm a DIY guy and after hearing the amount of rotted areas you have, I would run away and run fast. The salesman will tell you anything just to get rid of it. They don't want it.
I doubt you would get 6 to 8 years. You'll probably fall through the floor 1st.

Flooring is either relatively easy to patch (if you have the skills) or a huge construction job, depending on the extent of the damage.  No RV salesman ever sees damage other than trivial, but caveat emptor!!!

There often is no way to determine how bad the damage is without opening it up to see. It's just plywood over a metal grid, hopefully with some insulation in there somewhere. If the damage goes deeper than a couple of plies or extends back under cabinets or walls, that simple job can quickly become a full tear-down.

Camper23 said:
The salesman said that it would be very easy to fix

Every instance of water intrusion damage that I have read about on these forums has been a disaster.
There are many used campers at many dealerships.  Pick a different camper.  Stay away from anything showing water intrusion damage.

Welcome to the forum!

I'd suggest you keep on looking elsewhere.  As the others have mentioned you could have a real problem on your hands.

There is a mold kit available for about $20 you could buy it and set it in there for a few days to see what it says but, if it were me I'd save the $20 and find a different RV.

Welcome to the RV Forum Camper23

Not to sound like a broken record..... What everybody above said...

It's pretty simple: don't mess with handyman special deals unless you have the knowledge to assess the amount of work in advance and the skills to do the work. If you have to ask here about it, you probably lack the necessary to gamble on a deal like that. If you are thinking that you can hire somebody else to do the job, forget it.  If your best source of technical input is from the salesman, just slit your throat now and get it over with.

I regularly see here RV fix-up deals that I could and would handle myself but that I would NEVER suggest a novice buyer take on. 

I?m almost finished with my water damage buy and I would like to share my insight with you

RUN AWAY

DONT DO IT

YOU DESERVE BETTER

RUN

Have the RV shop give you an estimate to fix it.  Then assume it will be at least 2x that.  Make your offer accordingly.

Jey said:
I?m almost finished with my water damage buy and I would like to share my insight with you

RUN AWAY

DONT DO IT

YOU DESERVE BETTER

RUN

But you had fun doing the repairs.....Of course you also use to have a lot of money as well.  :eek: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom