rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 1992 Fleetwood Wilderness Travel Trailer Brake Questions  (Read 120 times)

diamond G Ranch

• ---
1992 Fleetwood Wilderness Travel Trailer Brake Questions
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:52:55 AM »
I have a 22' 1992 Fleetwood Wilderness Travel trailer and a old Manual Tekonsha brake controller....I was coming downhill pulling the trailer when a traffic light went from green, quickly amber then red.....I adjusted the bakes before leaving the house using the manual slide lever on the controller to make sure the axels did not lock up on the trailer as indicated in the owners manual but I did need to step on the brake pretty hard to stop for the light......I saw that the front axle of the trailer locked up, not the back.....are there only brakes on the front axle, I am not sure.....if there are brakes on both axles why would only the front axle lock up and not the back?? Since I did test the brake adjustment before leaving the house is this result normal brake behavior(locking up) when heading down a hill and stepping on the tow vehicle brake pretty had??? I want to be sure that everything is working as it should....I am concerned...

nibroc

• ---
Re: 1992 Fleetwood Wilderness Travel Trailer Brake Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 06:03:32 PM »
hmmmmmmmm....

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 06:26:13 PM »
All four wheels should be braking. I  would get under the trailer and make the wiring is good for all 4 wheels. Then I'd pull the brakes apart and check the shoes. At the same time repack the bearings. Maybe they only need adjusting.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 07:38:45 PM »
eTrailer has a number of good help articles that will help you troubleshoot the issue.  https://www.etrailer.com/info.aspx?productgroup=Trailer%20Brakes

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »
One other quick test is to pull the break away switch cable, applying all the brakes.  Hold a compass near the bottom of each wheel.  The magnet in the brake (if working) will pull the compass point to it.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 08:52:43 AM »
It sounds as though you adjusted the brake controller, not the brakes themselves, so after 27 years it's quite likely the two axles are not braking the same.  There are also likely to be electrical power differences between each brake (corroded connections, etc).

Last, on a downgrade the front axle gets a greater share of the load as the balance of the trailer shifts slightly.  Conversely, the rear axle gets more load on an upgrade.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

diamond G Ranch

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 09:51:33 AM »
Thank You everyone for your input....I will take all of this into consideration when checking things out with my neighbor who has had travel trailers all his life...if I feel that this is something beyond our scope of understanding in figuring out....I will take it to my mechanic to have him fix things....Thanks again for all of your kind advice!! 8)