Choosing the right RV steps motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HotTommy

I've determined the electric motor on the automatic steps for my 2000 Georgie Boy Pursuit MH has failed.  Replacements appear to include the motor and gear assembly and most look like mine in the photos (e.g., the mounting flange has three ears drilled for mounting screws). I have not been able to cross reference any of the few numbers on my assembly to those commonly for sale.  I need advice on picking the correct replacement motor assembly.  Am I correct in assuming that most of them are universal?

BTW, I know the usual fixes (dead spots, etc.), so I don't need advice on fixing the dead one.

Can you tell us the model of steps you have and maybe a pic of the motor?  Some of the earlier Kwikee steps used a motor that was sourced from a car electric window motor. They were easily sourced on Amazon for way less than Kwikee wanted for the same motor. I did one on a previous rig easily. 

As Marty states, most can be matched up at any auto parts store. Got mine at Napa, and just had to enlarge the mounting holes a bit.

Mine was a 1997 step but had a 1994 Ford Cougar motor. Mine had no part marking that turned up in a Google search and there are dozens upon dozens of them. I found the factory used several different ones throughout the same model year. I did this to find the right one. Google "dorman electric window motors" then when the results come up find a matching one. I found the one that matched but bought it from another source for less than $40.

I a not sure if about that.. Many have said a left side (Driver's) door window motor from oh say a 1990 Ford Taurus (give or take a few)  I have such a motor in a box beside me

The gear is not long enough
The thing has 9 teeth
and there is no way to transfer the gear off the Old motor

I have a new motor on order  IT should be in Wed. I can give you all the specs Thursday (or perhaps Wed Eve) the motor is actually in my mail box now but I'm not.
THe wrong motor: DormanManufacturer Part Number:742206

It has a "Dual flat" (oval shaped) shaft that turns a gear that sets atop it and has 12 teeth. 

So. pull the thing and inspect if the gear is 9 teeh and lays flat on the plate (Top of other gear housing) I got one for you (Seriously it's a 1990 tarus driver's window motor and shipping would cost enough that youre better off buying new)

IF it's about 3/4 inch tall with 12 teeth I'll have the info middle next week.

This appears to be my original motor.
Motor on Amazon

But.. I think Kwikee used two different motors depending on your model

It's only 3 bolts folks  I used a 3/8" wrench  Once you loosen them they turn out easily

BE CAREFUL lowering the motor. Mine has a part that falls off if you tip it too far so keep it "upright" as you lower it.> Look at the gear and then you will knwo.

If you can remove a short piece of shaft from the end of the gear. then lift the gear off. You need to use the motor above.. If the gear is locked to the shaft.. Likely the Doorman part

Got my motor and gear box from amazon. The numbers didn?t match but the picture did and sure enough it was correct. Mine was a 2004 Brave

Here is a post I made on the forum from a few years back when I replaced the motor on my steps. Maybe it will give you some useful info. 

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,99720.0.html

Couldn't find the follow-up to my messages in Marty's linked topic. It turned out that the motor I bought had slightly smaller bolt holes than the original, so the bolts wouldn't go in. Had I installed the new motor myself, I'd have merely drilled those holes out. But, since I used the tech at the RV park, he wouldn't do that, and he charged me $$$ for an OEM replacement. So, be sure to follow the advice and buy the exact replacement motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffandjoan
Back
Top Bottom