All I want to do is register a car in OH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We recently had an auto transport company ship a car to our 2nd S&B home in Ohio. Since the car will remain in OH, today I contacted the OH BMV to understand/confirm what I need to do to register here and where to go to get it done. The abbreviated (not) process is:
  • Visit an OH BMV 'agency' for VIN verification.
  • Visit a title office to transfer title from CA to OH.
  • Back to BMV to register the vehicle and pay the dues.
This seems more convoluted than the process explained to me on the phone when I called the OH BMV prior to shipping the vehicle  ???

Sounds like both Utah and Iowa. In Utah we had to go to the police department to validate the VIN and fill out the form. I can?t remember validating the VIN in Iowa, but I may have spaced it off! And title is a county office thing, but tags are a state thing, so separate offices. Time consuming for sure.

I'm wondering if I can register the vehicle in OH and not re-title  ???  In CA it would all be done in one DMV visit. Title companies handle real estate.

Tom, Can't answer the question on registering an of-of-state title, but I wouldn't count on it.  The three step process is usually pretty easy here in OH as there is typically a BMV office next door to the County Title office.  IF you go early in the day during the week, the process can take as little as 15 minutes.  I have never received a good explanation of the value of the VIN verification for out of state vehicles, but the bureaucracy has it's own logic!  After the one visit to transfer the title, all renewals can be handles online or through the mail.

Nevada DMV will register a vehicle without transfering the title from another state, which surprised me when I moved here.  But doing so makes it difficult or impossible to sell or transfer the vehicle in the future.  Las Vegas Craigslist is filled with non-titled vehicles for sale, to the point where CL made the title status a mandatory check-off when posting an ad so users can exclude them from a search.

Best to just do the 3 step process.  The VIN verification is to stop someone from moving a stolen or flood damaged car to another state and then applying for a clean title there.  Or someone may have skipped out from a leinholder in another state (who holds the actual title) without telling them where they are taking the car.

We were considering the purchase of a motorhome from a private party.  The owner purchased the motorhome in California but wanted lower registration fees.  Since he had a place in Arizona, he registered the motorhome in Az.  However, he failed to notify the CA DMV.  When we enquired about the registration fees, the DMV told us the fees included significant late fees and penalties because the motorhome was still registered in CA with unpaid registrations.  Needless to say we passed on the sale. 

Good point re notifying, in my case, CA of the re-titling and registration in another state. Methinks I'll call CA DMV to be sure there are no surprises.

Tom,
I ran into the verification requirement in Florida. It turned out they allow a Notary certification as an alternate to inspection by a police officer. Of course,  they don't volunteer that information. You might check.

Ernie

UTTransplant said:
Sounds like both Utah and Iowa. In Utah we had to go to the police department to validate the VIN and fill out the form. I can?t remember validating the VIN in Iowa, but I may have spaced it off! And title is a county office thing, but tags are a state thing, so separate offices. Time consuming for sure.

In Pennsylvania we can have a certified mechanic validate the VIN but still a PITA.

It's done. Some (most, all?) of the Ohio BMV offices, including the one nearest our OH townhouse,  advertise that they're a "one stop shop". It's actually several different county departments in the same building, each with their own entrance. So, still 3 steps, but relatively painless:
  • Went to the office that handles registration, and they also do the "out of state vehicle inspection", which involved an employee writing down the VIN#, make & model, and mileage.
  • Took the 'inspection report' to the title office (next door) and transferred title; They notify our home state (CA) automatically, but I'll still let CA DMV know.
  • Back to the first office; Long queue for registrations, but I'd logged in online before we left the house, so we were told "you're next". Gave us plates, tags and registration.
All the employees we talked with, including the police officer outside who told us which office to go into first, were very polite and efficient.

Oh, almost forgot step 4:
  • Swapped out the plates on the car.
There was actually a step 5:
  • Called our CA and OH insurance agents to move our policy/coverage to the local (OH) agent.
One small (?) difference in the way OH handles titles ... in CA our vehicles are titled (our choice) as Tom or Chris; Either title holder can sell or transfer title, and automatically assumes sole title holder in the event that one spouses passes. OH registers in both names, and both must sign before selling or transferring title (in CA this would be handled, by choice, as Tom and Chris). Although OH has a surviving spouse rule, if one passes, the other has to show up at an auto title office with a death certificate to have the title transferred solely to their name.

Re-titling and registration in OH turned out to be quite simple. But, 'step 5':

Called our CA and OH insurance agents to move our policy/coverage to the local (OH) agent.
Electronically signed a number of docs related to insurance in OH, but kept receiving emails that something wasn't signed  ??? Called the OH agent and he told me that, although I have 4 vehicles, homeowners and additional policies with the same company in CA, he couldn't get the multi-vehicle, home/auto or another discount applied. Told me I needed to call head office, which I did.

During the initial ID verification, I discovered they had the wrong SS# associated with my policy, so I was transferred to someone else. Talked with a very helpful lady who worked through it all, some after I left the conversation, and got it all resolved. She got all the discounts applied, and backdated the refund on my CA policy to the date I paid the OH premium (something the agent couldn't do because more than 5 days had elapsed).

Today, as a courtesy, I called the CA agent and they confirmed what I'd been told by HQ.

Phew!

Thinking of relocating our old Suburban to our summer base in WY and using it as a "fishing car" on the NFS roads and off-road areas in the WY and ID mountains. Hopefully, I won't have to go through the same fiasco as in OH  ???

It is FEDERAL LAW so be prepared all states are supposed be onboard soon.
It is meant to combat theft and stop cleaning of titles, including  after major disasters. I believe it came into enforcement after Katrina and the cars being shipped to other states without disclosing the damage

No issues with the reason for the proposed legislation. But, if you re-read my messages, you'll see that I initiated the re-titling/re-registration of a vehicle relocated to OH, without any prodding from Federal law. If we choose to relocate a vehicle to WY, I'll similarly initiate the process, irrespective of the proposed legislation.

You said you hoped you would not have to go through the same fiasco.

You will have to get the car inspected to confirm VIN before you title it which is the procedure you outlined on July 22.
So I assumed that was the fiasco you were talking about. Did I miss a fiasco somewhere?

I was talking about the 'fiasco' with the insurance company, and hope I don't go through it again on the second (next) car being relocated to Wyoming.

As I said, vehicle/VIN inspection, re-titling and registration in Ohio on the first car turned out to be a breeze; The office we dealt with offered a '1-stop shop' for all 3 steps in the process. But the insurance took a month to resolve.

Fortunately, I kept the CA insurance coverage until I was sure the OH insurance issue was resolved, and the insurance company is refunding the premium for the overlap weeks. I also kept the CA insurance agent in the loop, to be sure the CA coverage wasn't prematurely canceled.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom