MPG and Towing Capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldgator73

I have a small TT with a GVWR of 3800 lbs. I tow with a Nissan Frontier which does a good job but the gas mileage and storage is crap. I?ve looked into the Ford Transit vans which have a ton of room but the gas mileage is crap. Anybody have any suggestions for something with a tow rating around 6k and decent gas mileage and with a price tag under $30k?

What range of MPG's are you hoping for?

"gas mileage is crap" is just a little vague.

Not going to happen!  Good fuel economy and towing simply dont match.
Best I have ever gotten with any vehicle towing is 11.5.  And that was my Ram Cummins dually towing my 13,500 pound fifth wheel.

donn said:
Not going to happen!  Good fuel economy and towing simply dont match.
Best I have ever gotten with any vehicle towing is 11.5.  And that was my Ram Cummins dually towing my 13,500 pound fifth wheel.

I?m not looking for something to tow 13000-14000 lbs. I?m looking at half that weight. The other problem I have is purchasing something for $40000-$60000 jut to tow my little TT a few times a year.

There is no need to spend 40K just to tow a few times a year.  I was by my post trying to show you the impractically of your request.
Go buy a used Ford ecoboost and go camping.  Fords Ecoboost will get you about the best non towing fuel economy.  Towing?  Your still going to be in the 10MPG range.
Fuel economy is probably the last thing RVers look at or consider.  It is a hobby.  And hobbies cost money.

I know someone with a recent F-150 6 cylinder gas with a cap. I've driven it several times and has plenty of power not towing and rides nice. I'll check his yellow sticker in a little while. He gets 18.5 average not towing.

Short of one of the new turbo diesels don't think you're going to get 18 towing

The F150 EcoBoost or the Transit 150 with V6 or v6 Ecoboost would do well. Either can easily handle a trailer your size.

Probably not gonna see 18 mpg while towing, though.  There is just no getting around the frontal area wind resistance with a travel trailer.

If your looking for a vehicle you can drive everyday and not have to store, then I would focus on that and not worry about the mpg a few times a year. It will take you a long time to break even if you buy another vehicle just to save on gas a few times a year.

donn said:
There is no need to spend 40K just to tow a few times a year.  I was by my post trying to show you the impractically of your request.
Go buy a used Ford ecoboost and go camping.  Fords Ecoboost will get you about the best non towing fuel economy.  Towing?  Your still going to be in the 10MPG range.
Fuel economy is probably the last thing RVers look at or consider.  It is a hobby.  And hobbies cost money.

I know you were not suggesting I needed to spend $40k+ on a vehicle. My research has shown me that; if I purchased a new vehicle which I tend to do.
My request may not be practical but I don?t think it is impossible.

Dragginourbedaround said:
If your looking for a vehicle you can drive everyday and not have to store, then I would focus on that and not worry about the mpg a few times a year. It will take you a long time to break even if you buy another vehicle just to save on gas a few times a year.

It?s not only the MPG, it?s the room. We often take the grandkids with us and there just isn?t enough room in the Frontier. Even with it being a crewcab.

If you're only pulling your trailer a few times a year, maybe you should forget the mileage and focus on comfort and fun for you and the grandkids.  Look at how the tow vehicle will be used the rest of the time. 

You might look at the Ram 1500 Eco Diesel.  It would tow that weight trailer easily and I've heard reports of mileage in the mid teens towing a trailer that size if you keep the speed in the 60 - 65 MPH range.

I got between a low of 8 mpg and a high of 13 mpg towing a 6300 lb TT with my 2009 Dodge Ram crew cab with 5.7 engine. The biggest mpg factor for us was the wind speed and direction.  A crew cab gives you great seating for 5-6 people.  Perhaps a nice used Crew Cab pickup would give you a better towing vehicle with more room at a lower cost. 

Lowell said:
I got between a low of 8 mpg and a high of 13 mpg towing a 6300 lb TT with my 2009 Dodge Ram crew cab with 5.7 engine. The biggest mpg factor for us was the wind speed and direction.  A crew cab gives you great seating for 5-6 people.  Perhaps a nice used Crew Cab pickup would give you a better towing vehicle with more room at a lower cost.

I am looking into that. I don?t want a 4x4 since gas mileage is a concern.

I have a 2016 Ford F150 with the 3.5L Eco-Boost engine. I average 20-21mpg around town, rural community. 24 on the interstate unloaded. Towing my 7,000 5th wheel I average between 12-13mpg at 60mph. Jump up to 65mph and it drops to 10-12mpg. My truck is a Supercab and holds 5 comfortable, grandkids in the back. Towing my 2,300 boat I average 17-19mpg at 60mph. Triple towing the camper and boat I average 8-10mpg. Your mileage may vary.

Before this F150 I had a Chevy Traverse with towing package, up 5,000 pounds. It had 4 Captain chairs and a rear bench. Around tow I average 18-20mpg. Interstate 20-21mpg. Towing the 2,300 boat 14-15mpg at 60mph.

There are trade offs. If you buy a vehicle with a V8, you get average gas mileage all the time and slightly better mileage towing compared to 6 cylinders. Get a 6 banger and you will get better than average gas mileage all the time and less than average while towing. 

Hanr3 said:
I have a 2016 Ford F150 with the 3.5L Eco-Boost engine. I average 20-21mpg around town, rural community. 24 on the interstate unloaded. Towing my 7,000 5th wheel I average between 12-13mpg at 60mph. Jump up to 65mph and it drops to 10-12mpg. My truck is a Supercab and holds 5 comfortable, grandkids in the back. Towing my 2,300 boat I average 17-19mpg at 60mph. Triple towing the camper and boat I average 8-10mpg. Your mileage may vary.

Before this F150 I had a Chevy Traverse with towing package, up 5,000 pounds. It had 4 Captain chairs and a rear bench. Around tow I average 18-20mpg. Interstate 20-21mpg. Towing the 2,300 boat 14-15mpg at 60mph.

There are trade offs. If you buy a vehicle with a V8, you get average gas mileage all the time and slightly better mileage towing compared to 6 cylinders. Get a 6 banger and you will get better than average gas mileage all the time and less than average while towing.

I am looking at the F150 Eco Boost and also the Ford Transit passenger van with the Eco Boost. Someone posted on another forum their Transit with the Eco Boost got 19mpg towing a small TT, one larger than my Winnie Drop.

I'm driving a 2016 Ram 1500 with the hemi. It's got the setup where it goes to running of 4 cylinders when it can, mpg is 19-22 unless I start acting like I've got a HEMI in that  thang.....  8)

Towing my 14' utility trailer with a 48" zero turn mower I sometimes get 18mpg but 17.5 is more like it. And that's of course a low profile rig behind me, not a TT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom