Air Assist Suspension vs Air suspension. Is there a diff.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

I noticed on a few DP's they state that the suspension is "air assist".  I have also seen it listed as simply "air suspension".

Is there a difference

Most, if not all, DPs have air suspension.  Some have air leveling when parked rather than using hydraulic jacks. Some, mostly higher end units, have HWH Active Air the purpose of which is to actively control the coach's attitude while driving.  It is a pretty complex and sophisticated system from what I have read.  If "air assist" in the ads you are reading refers to anything specific it may be this.

Joel (AKA docj)

I've not ever heard of "air assist" on a diesel pusher - could you give an example of what you have seen?

The DP's all have full air suspension, i.e. air "springs" rather than  metal leaf or coil springs.  "Air assist" typically refers to air bags or air shocks in addition to a traditional left spring or coil suspension. Gas chassis coaches sometimes have "air assist".

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I've not ever heard of "air assist" on a diesel pusher - could you give an example of what you have seen?

The DP's all have full air suspension, i.e. air "springs" rather than  metal leaf or coil springs.  "Air assist" typically refers to air bags or air shocks in addition to a traditional left spring or coil suspension. Gas chassis coaches sometimes have "air assist".

https://www.juniatavalleyrv.com/2011-fleetwood-expedition-38b-used-class-a-pa-i2461152

It is the first line item under Exterior.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

Are those leaf spring on this Freightliner XC Chassis?

https://www.fcccrv.com/chassis/xc/front-suspension/

That Detroit leaf spring suspension is used on the MC chassis, not the XC.  Maybe you could order an XC configured with the Detroit axle, but I've never seen one.

I'm confident that Expedition has full air suspension, Neway front & rear.  I would take any RV dealer advertising with several grains of salt - I've seen ads with egregious errors, e.g. the wrong engine. Between blundering sales people and clerical errors updating website ads, most anything can be in error.

I suggest checking against official brochures where possible. They can be wrong too, but usually much more reliable. There sin is usually one of omission. Here's the 2011 Expedition brochure from the Fleetwood site.

https://www.fleetwoodrv.com/resources/media/user/1470939382_brc_pdf.pdf
For Freightliner chassis coaches, you can look up the chassis specs on the FCCC website:
Coaches | Freightliner Chassis RV

Gary RV_Wizard said:
That Detroit leaf spring suspension is used on the MC chassis, not the XC.  Maybe you could order an XC configured with the Detroit axle, but I've never seen one.

I'm confident that Expedition has full air suspension, Neway front & rear.  I would take any RV dealer advertising with several grains of salt - I've seen ads with egregious errors, e.g. the wrong engine. Between blundering sales people and clerical errors updating website ads, most anything can be in error.

I suggest checking against official brochures where possible. They can be wrong too, but usually much more reliable. There sin is usually one of omission. Here's the 2011 Expedition brochure from the Fleetwood site.

https://www.fleetwoodrv.com/resources/media/user/1470939382_brc_pdf.pdf
For Freightliner chassis coaches, you can look up the chassis specs on the FCCC website:
Coaches | Freightliner Chassis RV

Dog gone it.  You did again Gary.  Thanks!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom