popup winter storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrclen

I tried search but wasn't successful. How do I store my popup over winter in Wisconsin? I have no garage or shed space. Tarp it? Just park it? Put up one of those canvas vehicle tents? Build a shed? I have plenty of land and out here in the country, I can do pretty much whatever I want. Thanks for any suggestions.

When I first got mine I used a tarp laying flat on 2/3 of the roof except for the back 1/3 where the AC held the tarp up off the roof.. The next spring the roof was covered with thick mold. I built a tripod type stand to hold the tarp up off the front of the roof and it stays pretty dry now.  Mine has to sit under a tree now so the tarp keeps tree sap off also. To build the stand I just used 1/2" pvc pipe with a cross at the bottom for legs with one vertical pipe to hold up the tarp. I put 90 degree elbows on all the ends of the pipes with rubber pipe insulation over the elbows to keep from damaging the paint or tarp.

Sorry the picture came out sideways  :(

Attachments

• popup.JPG
    popup.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 17
Just make sure the canvas is dry the last time you close it. Then just park it where ever. Do not put a tarp over it. It needs air. The tarp will hold in moisture and mold will grow. If you get allot of snow, It's easy to shovel it off.  Don't forget to leave the fridge door open a little.

If you're up to building a shed, that would give it the most protection. Inflate the tires to the sidewall pressure, and put the axle on blocks so the tires are off the ground. Disconnect the battery and hook it up to a 1/2-1 amp trickle charger.

I decided to build an addition to my wood shed. It's just a steel roof on posts. I can tarp three sides. I'm going for the wood and steel next week. I designed it so I can raise the roof when my wife decides on a hybrid. :)

jrclen said:
I decided to build an addition to my wood shed. It's just a steel roof on posts. I can tarp three sides. I'm going for the wood and steel next week. I designed it so I can raise the roof when my wife decides on a hybrid. :)

Keep in mind that your shed has to have some way to breath also otherwise, things will sweat.

Good point Rene. I'm in the process now of building an addition to my fire wood shed. I tarp the west side of the long narrow shed just before the snow flies. I will also tarp the south end where the camper will be parked. The east side will be open. I got the structure done yesterday, today I will install the ribbed steel panels for the roof. Maiden voyage will start thursday to a boondocking state part for the annual family reunion.

Back
Top Bottom