Trip Planning Apps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bing is a lot like Google maps.  And like GM, it can't be used in conjunction with a GPS to tell you where you are right now.  We still travel with a running laptop w/ GPS and SA 15 (Only because it is "newer" than S&T 13).  That also tells us where to look for fuel and when to hunt up an ONP.  I have been using Furkot for planning, but it is an on-line too.  It does point up fuel stops and ONPs. 

Good luck, the serious planners are real dead. 

Matt

I use Google Maps to plan my trip and while traveling.

The pros; I can create a map on my laptop and load it to my android phone. Or I can create the map on my android phone. Then I plug my phone into the Ford's Sync III system and the map shows on my dash. I can tap the dash to add destinations or search for gas stations along the route, or search for restaurants along the route.
Google Maps also alerts me to speed traps, will suggest an alternate route if traffic is stopped for an accident.
I don't care about speed traps, I don't speed. You have to be careful with alternate routes, especially rv clearance issues.

The cons; Google Maps cannot be configured for rv's. It won't tell me bridge clearance, nor truck stops. It will give me the lowest price gas. To find truck stops I have to search for Pilot, Flying J, or whatever their name is.
The other con- roads maybe dirt if your traveling the by-ways or shortcuts. Not a big deal in a car, but with the camper in tow, or triple towing its an issue. Hence why I review the route on my laptop first.

I have tried several free apps, however they don't work on Ford's Sync system. My next step is to fork over the money and buy a RV GPS for $350. A bit steep, but worth its weight in gold to avoid a low clearance bridge where I can't back up or turn around.

I don't know of any planning apps but I found one I use for finding truck stops called Trucker Path that works off of you GPS. It has been a life saver both pulling a 5ver and at work.

A bit steep, but worth its weight in gold to avoid a low clearance bridge where I can't back up or turn around.
Just be aware that it can only tell you about the clearances listed in its database, so you still need to be wary -- it'll get most of them, but it only takes once...

I've been using RV Trip Wizard quite  bit. 
The learning curve is a bit steep, at first, but after using it for the last couple of months I think it has earned its 39 dollar fee.

Having the Garmin RV GPS helps with immediate potential things like low clearance and such, but trip Wizard helps keep you clear of the routes where you might find them.

Back
Top Bottom