Need destination ideas for October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac-1

This is shaping up to be a bad year for RV travel for us due to my wife's work schedule, we live in western Louisiana, and so far this year we have only used the coach twice, a long weekend at a state park 120 miles away in February, and 2 weeks in the Texas Hill country in May.  I have a solo trip planned for mid September for the FMCA regional rally (my wife has a work trip to San Diego the same week). 

As things currently stand, the only time my wife can get away from work for more than a long weekend for the rest of the year is 2 weeks in mid October (with her leaving home no earlier than the afternoon of Oct 10th), so we have been trying to think of somewhere to go.

So far we are coming up blank, we have a 28 ft class A, and are located in western Louisiana about 20 miles from Tropical Storm Barry's current position (which has turned into a nothing storm here, leaves are not even rustling)

So anyway, we are looking for somewhere to go, preferably somewhere that may have indoor things to do option in case of seasonal inclement weather, out doors, scenic, etc. is nice too though my wife has some slight mobility issues, so nothing involving hiking, etc.  I generally prefer to limit travel distance to under 350 miles per day, so would prefer a destination within 600 - 900 miles maximum, I don't want to spend the whole trip on the road. Distances beyond this may be an option if I were to drive out in advance and have my wife fly out meet me for the drive back, though I would still like to limit that to no more than 2 road days in a row...

Any suggestions

thanks Ike

p.s. in case anyone is going to suggest the Albuquerque Balloon festival, it's last day is Oct 13 this year and is over 900 miles away, so best case we could only get there for the very end.

Lost Maples State Natural Area in Vanderpool Tx? It's supposed to be beautiful in the fall, maples left from the ice age show their colors from what I've read. Never been myself.

In Alabama there's the Moundville Native American Festival at the Moundville Archaeological Park celebrating Southeastern Indian history and culture. It's held sometime in October.

Gulf Shores, Alabama has the National Shrimp Festival in October. Apparently 250,000 people go to the local beaches for music, art, sand sculptures, and shrimp.

Thanks for the thoughts so far, we visited lost maples on a day trip when we were in the Hill Country in May, so probably not the best option for our next trip.  My wife took notes on which RV sites looked best there in case we go back with the coach sometime (most are good, but about 1/4 of them have considerable slope, etc.).

I will check into the other stuff, Memphis is a real possibility for a part of the trip, as my wife's sister just east of there.  We had considered Mammoth Cave NP in Kentucky, but unfortunately the river crossing ferry is will be closed then for a upgrade, which isolates the corner of the park with the RV campground from most of the rest of the park.  I have also considered the Natchez trace national parkway, it has been over 10 years since I last drove it, though I have heard it is being taken over by bicycle tourist these days.

My favorite spots in October is in any one of the five stunning National Parks of Utah. The monsoons are over, the temps are fairly even and the crowd had mainly disappeared. You go Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands. And they are all close together and very different from one another.

SeilerBird said:
My favorite spots in October is in any one of the five stunning National Parks of Utah. The monsoons are over, the temps are fairly even and the crowd had mainly disappeared. You go Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands. And they are all close together and very different from one another.

Utah is almost 1,500 miles from western LA

The Arkansas and Missouri Ozarks are lovely that time of year. There is a great state park in Arkansas, Queen Wilhelmina, that is on the scenic byway there. Lots of springs, hidden valleys, etc. Hot Springs is an interesting day trip. The old historic bath house in the National Park is a great respite. We usually head to southern Missouri along the Ozark National Scenic Riverway, and there is quite a bit to do other than canoe. Echo Bluff is a nice state park near there, and there are springs, waterfalls, and scenic drives all over the area.

Mammoth Cave is reasonably close to some COE campgrounds (most are open until end of October) and there are privately owned campgrounds in the area as well. 

Shelia

UTTransplant said:
The Arkansas and Missouri Ozarks are lovely that time of year. There is a great state park in Arkansas, Queen Wilhelmina, that is on the scenic byway there. Lots of springs, hidden valleys, etc. Hot Springs is an interesting day trip. The old historic bath house in the National Park is a great respite. We usually head to southern Missouri along the Ozark National Scenic Riverway, and there is quite a bit to do other than canoe. Echo Bluff is a nice state park near there, and there are springs, waterfalls, and scenic drives all over the area.

While we're on Arkansas, check out the Bean Fest in Mountain View, AR. 

http://www.yourplaceinthemountains.com/festival_post/bean-fest/

If you like beans and cornbread, and bluegrass music, this is the event for you.

darsben said:
I come south on the Natchez trace about Oct 10-12 most years and have not had any problems with bikes on the trace.

Ever stay at Jeff Busby park on the Trace?  That's where my Jeep toad was stolen.  They recovered it at Meriwether Lewis campground near Hohenwald, TN.  Once we got it back we stayed the night at a campground in Hohenwald near the Trace that the owner said was used by a lot of bicyclists during the summer season.

Thanks for all the replies, as of now we are looking at the Arkansas to Tennessee and point between options.

Ike

ps here is a photo of our coach at Queen Wilhelmina state park taken in August 2 years ago, spent an extra day there because the fog was too thick to drive in.

Attachments

• trek-fog.jpg
    trek-fog.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom