Westlake tire speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biggersm

We have an A-Frame (Flagstaff T21DMWHW) with Westlake tires on it.  I find it interesting that it has 75 mph posted on the tire sidewall but I've also heard it said that no one should exceed 65 mph with ST tires of any kind.

We inflate to the tire sidewall recommended 50 psi.  We have a Toyota Highlander that pulls the trailer surprisingly well, even in the mountains (trailer dry weight 2,700, axel max weight 3,500, highlander towing capacity 5,000 pounds). We use a Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch.  Never experienced any sway or other control problems.  We would like to maintain 70 mph and be in the center of a three lane freeway to stay out of the way of others.

Kind of funny when you see others pulling trailers that I would assume have ST tires and they are doing 80-90 mph.

So is it safe to average 70 mph?  I know it is safer from a traffic handling standpoint.

My experience with tires on a brand new trailer was bad. Two blew out at the same time. 

They were Goodyear trailer tires that came with the new trailer. I had them set at the maximum pressure of 50 pounds.

The way you know your trailer just blew a tire is that it will start swaying. I was running about 55 mph when they blewout.

At 70 it might be a little interesting if you blow one of them.

Who makes Westlake tires? Never heard of them.

If you want to run fast I'd recommend better tires, plus go up a load range so the tires are significantly below their rated weight capacity.

The standard speed rating for ST-type tires is 65 mph.  A few ST tire brands/models state higher ratings, but I've been told the US Tire Manufacturer's  Association doesn't endorse those higher ratings, so some consider them a fiction.

Have had good luck with Westlakes for many years.

Starting to hear bad things about Good Year tires, especially the Endurance brand.

Badmouthing GT tires is such a popular sport on the internet that it's hard to make any judgments from what you see.  Somebody mentions a problem while driving a GY-equipped vehicle and the critics jump on the bandwagon, whether there are facts to support it or not.  I'm not pushing GY, just cautioning about much of the invective out there.

I generally choose other brands but mostly because the price/performance ratio is better (in my opinion). I feel I can get a top quality tire for substantially less $$ than Goodyear and Michelin charge.  But I don't buy the cheapest I can get either. Sumitomo, Hankook, Cooper, Toyo and others have international reputations for quality at prices not much above the bargain-basement brands.

biggersm said:
We have an A-Frame (Flagstaff T21DMWHW) with Westlake tires on it.  I find it interesting that it has 75 mph posted on the tire sidewall but I've also heard it said that no one should exceed 65 mph with ST tires of any kind.

This link has lots of your questions answered  https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11/08/trailer-towing-st-tires-vs-lt-tires/

Cheers

I'm the Original Poster.  Thanks for the replies.  I must apologize.  I said originally said Westlake tires (which must be on my mind from our previous toy hauler).  What we have is Castle Rock with the following specs (most of which I know but some things I don't):

Castle Rock ST 205/175/R14
DOT JUJT 2116 (I know that the 2116 means it was made in the 21st week of 2016 but what is the JUJT about?)
Radial ST 226 (is this just a name?)
Max Load 800 kg/1760 pounds (we probably never exceed 3,000 pounds fully loaded using both tires)
Load Range C (doesn't this go against the max load mentioned above)
6 load range C100L (I'm assuming 6 ply radial and most important is the L which allows 75 mph, right?
2 nylon/two steel sidewall ply (so Im assuming that is only the sidewall, whereas I guess I have 6 ply at the treads).

It is good to know the feeling immediately prior to a total tire failure, thanks for mentioning that Arch Hoagland.

Interesting that I found the same link yesterday after posting this question on this forum, thanks MtnGoat. 

So what is our plan? Continue to ride at an average 70 mph, continue to inflate to 50 psi but next time go up a load range.  The good news is that we are on the East Coast with less temperature extremes and generally only 70 mph freeways so we should be OK.  If not than we have a spare (and I know, don't use the corner jacks if this becomes necessary).

Back
Top Bottom