Custom Build - Windows & Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velociraptor

Ok yall got me sorted on the electricity supply for my custom trailer.  Here is where I have landed and need some more excellent advice.  Feel free to throw darts at design. Basically come up with your best utilitarian design lol.

Trailer Fit Out
38 to 42 ft car hauler type trailer - Final length will depend on final drawing of all equipment in trailer.  Ill upload drawing once completed.
Gooseneck with 9? neck
Rear 2 ft will be open deck patio for carrying generator, grill, twin 40 lb gas bottles, and power cord
Height to be 9? inside (minimum 7? in bathroom over tanks) - Verify total trailer height with ACs
Triple Axle 7K Dexter Torsion with all electric brakes
12V electric jacks - Ensure rating is for trailer loaded
1-1/2? x 1?  square tubing on 16? centers (walls and floor)
1-1/2? x 1? square tubing on 24? centers (roof)
Screwed aluminum outside
Fit foam board insulation between tubing - What kind of 1-1/2? insulation do yall recommend? Whats highest R value foam board out there?
Bubble wrap insulating around entire frame.
4? long x 3? wide or similar double paned window (emergency exit in neck) - Recommend best double paned window. Window will be temporarily covered internally with foil insulation board for ?blackout? sleeping.
3/4? plywood floor
3/8? plywood roof and walls - Increase walls to 3/4? to act as studs for mounting purposes and increased insulation
Floor with plastic ?diamond plate? nonskid
Dual Electric AC / Heater - Recommend best models

After Trailer Fit Out
Add king mattress and night stand in neck.
Install gas on demand hot water heater <?- For use at RV parks or when running high amperage on other appliances.
Install gas vent
Install electric on demand hot water heater <?- For use at rigs - 240V / 40 amp
Install 200 amp breaker box - Plan to use only max 100 amps at time but use to isolate as needed
Install 100 gal fresh water, 100 gal grey, 40 gal black tanks inside trailer.  Provide recommendation for best heated tank manufacturers. 
Deck over tanks with floor vents to ensure air circulation
Install bath / shower
Install toilet
Install sink
Install 240V washer & dryer - 30 amp
Pipe and wire
Install bathroom wall and door
Install bathroom cabinets
Install kitchen counters and cabinets
Install kitchen sink
Install microwave - Verify amperage
Install electric range - 240V / 40 amp
Install range vent
Install refridgerator - 120V / 15 amp
Install desk and monitors
Install Overhead Cabinets
Install TV and satellite
Install Cell Booster
Install Queen x Single Bunk Bed
Install overhead LED lights and outlets - 15 amps
Pipe and wire all
Install fire detectors, CO detectors, gas detectors, and fire extinguishers

All piping and wiring will be run in conduit / piping on internal trailer wall and ceiling other than water penetration, dump penetrations, clean out water penetration, gas penetration, main electrical penetration, and cable / internet penetrations.  This ensures maximum insulation, immediate notice of any problems, and ease of fixing any issues.

Consider storing the LP tanks somewhere more forward.  Propane tanks on the back is somewhat risky, since rear collisions are more common.  I don't know if NFPA 1192 or federal standards state any actual requirements about that (they do for gasoline tanks), but if you have the choice it seems smarter to place the tanks in a less exposed area.

Gary,

I considered the same thing and probably plan to dependent upon space.  The issue is I may
1 - get a limited volume putting them up front and
2 - was planning on putting the gas hot water heater in the rear to minimize the gas line run

Im going to think on this some more.

My three main questions to you....
1 - Who is the best RV double pane window manufacturer.  I found a post earlier where you mentioned on but I cant find it again.  I know eventually they will fog due to seal failure and will live with that cost (ie replacement).
2 - Who is the best AC / hear manufacturer or is there only one?
3 - Who is the best heated tank manufacturers.

Consider extending the interior floor of the raised bedroom section to create pass through storage and perhaps places for propane tanks. This is typical for 5th wheel RV trailers.

1 - Who is the best RV double pane window manufacturer.  I found a post earlier where you mentioned on but I cant find it again.  I know eventually they will fog due to seal failure and will live with that cost (ie replacement).
Probably Hehr, but the window itself is largely at the mercy of the stresses on the vehicle.  The dual pane problem is the lack of structural stiffness in the vehicle plus road vibration. If the walls twist and flex, the windows are going to flex with them and the seals between the panes will soon let moist air leak in.

2 - Who is the best AC / hear manufacturer or is there only one?
It's probably a toss up for both. 

The major manufacturers of RV a/c systems are Dometic and Coleman (aka Airxcel), but Atwood and relative newcomers Furrion and Advent are also in the business.  I'd probably go with Dometic or Coleman simply because they have managed to stay in the business long term, while other brands come & go. Get heat pumps rather than plain a/c.  They are excellent in chilly weather.

For RV furnaces, the big names are Atwood (aka Hydroflame) and Suburban. I like Atwood, especially the  2334 Two-stage model, but that's what I'm most familiar with. Suburban is fine too.  I know you can get an electric heat add-on (aftermarket) for Atwoods, which may be of interest to you.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MI1RL95XRg

3 - Who is the best heated tank manufacturers.
I have no experience with this to relate.

Triple Axle 7K Dexter Torsion with all electric brakes
All reports are that the disc brake option (vs drum) is well worthwhile. Dexter offers both types. Also consider oil bath lube instead of conventional greased hubs or the so-called EZ-Lube.  Oil bath is very low maintenance and seems to be reliable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OR-River-Runner
Back
Top Bottom