Question about Equipment on New (to me) Ram 1500 Laramie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marteau

I just came home with a 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie that has the RWD 8-Speed Automatic HEMI 5.7L V8....which I'll be using as my tow vehicle.

The truck has a tow package that has Integrated Trailer Brake Module.

However, the previous owner installed the Tekonsha Proportional Brake Controller.

Why or was there a reason to install the Tekonsha?  I'm just learning about the vehicle and know it was used as a TV, but, I'm green and want to understand before I purchase my TT.

Thanks,
Louise

Welcome to The RV Forum, Louise!

The integrated Trailer Brake Module is superior to the Tekonsha brake controller.  The integrated controller applies the trailer brakes in perfect proportion to how hard you step on the brake pedal.  The Tekonsha uses an inertia sensor to guess at how hard you are braking and how hard it should apply the trailer brakes.

Inertia-based controllers like the Tekonsha have a distinct feel to their operation because there's a moment between when you apply the truck brakes and when the controller senses the decelleration and begins to apply the trailer brakes.  This lets you feel the trailer brakes working.

You dont have this feel with the internal trailer brake module because it applies the trailer brakes in perfect synchronization with the truck brakes.

I don't know why anyone would decide not to use the built-in controller unless it failed.  Perhaps they were used to the "feel" of the Tekonsha controller and the internal controller's seamless operation fooled them into thinking the trailer brakes weren't working.

Hi Lou, thanks for the welcome.

Is there a way to turn off the Tekonsha controller and test the integrated controller?  I'd prefer the one integrated as well and probably would remove or turn off the Tekonsha if I can find out the integrated controller is working.

Louise

All you have to do is locate the truck's trailer brake control wire and connect it to the trailer's socket in place of the Tekonsha's output wire.  It should be a simple job for anyone with a schematic of the truck's wiring harness.

Ok, will be purchasing a TT this week and so next week the dealer said they would help work that out for me.

Love the forums...there is so much information here.....I'm drowning!  LOL

Thanks,
Louise :D

I agree with Lou, I'd bet that the factory unit failed and the Tekonsha replaced it.  The Tekonsha still is good, but factory better.

Pay attention to your tow rating with the 8 speed. What rear end gears are in that truck? I had a 2014 8 speed crew cab with 3:21. Great gas mileage. But towing/hauling is less than the 6 speed versions with 3:73's or better. If I recall, its 7800 lbs for towing. The book did not list towing rating for the 8 speed so had the dealer look it up. My TT was 7200 lbs. Was technically over loaded when I packed up for camping. Now have a 2017 2500 crew cab with a 6 speed and the 6.4 engine. Another thing about the 8 speed, top 2 gears are over drives (7th and 8th). Here is a good ram forum to learn allot about ram trucks. https://www.ramforum.com/ . The built in trailer brake controls are great so not sure why the previous owner added that brake controller.

I have the truck manual that lists the 6-speed at max towing of 10,250 lbs.  Its a 3.21.  I understand what you?re saying, think we are still good to go but I like to know as much as I can....since I?m not a truck expert but have gone with others for years.  My first experience with my own TT

The trailer is 4500 lbs.

thanks,
Louise

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom