Bugs-creepy crawlers- canvas question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mom.mom.mom.mom

Surely I'm not the only one who is a tad worried about stuff crawling into my bed area since the canvas isnt completely sealed....like im legit thinking about putting bed together right before bedtime and then in morning taking all sheets/blankets outside to shake out and then fold up and put into rubbermaid container and place back in truck until needed again.   

We have always gone tent camping and this is our first summer in a popup camper.  Ive been cleaning all week and wiping down all surfaces and drawers etc and the more possible spots i see that bugs could get in the more I want to go back to tent camping.  I get its the outdoors and all but I dont want to wake up to find bugs crawling on me and the babies. 
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
What do others do about this? I honestly didnt know popups weren't sealed others I would have never agreed to buying it.  Would using industrial strength velcro work to seal canvas to cabin to keep out creeping crawlies??  Or is there something else I can do or use?

Thanks!!!

Idk what you mean by it's not sealed. Mine has thick velcro holding the canvas onto the frame. It's not sealed like your home, but it's certainly sealed.

My Starcraft popup is not sealed as tight as a tent either. The canvas/vinyl over the beds on both ends is held tight underneath the slide with elastic straps. But the vinyl is just pulled tightly over the bed frame and is not secured. There are a couple of places we have to stuff a paper napkin to keep out mosquitoes. Otherwise its actually pretty tight.

My concern about putting Velcro permanently on the sides of the plywood slides is they are a tight fit in the top frame of the popup. It might be difficult to slide them in and out. It would probably work on the ends leaving only the 2 sides unsecured. About the only solution I can think of is to use painters tape around the inside edges and remove the tape when breaking camp.

We've had it for 10 years and other than a few mosquitoes we haven't had any other unwelcome visitors.

I don't recall any unwanted visitors entering our pop-up. One kid rolling over on the bunk and ending up on the ground, but nothing coming in!

HappyWanderer said:
I don't recall any unwanted visitors entering our pop-up. One kid rolling over on the bunk and ending up on the ground, but nothing coming in!
This reminds me of waking up around 6am in a state park campground. I was barely awake but heard two people right outside my pop up having a discussion. As I came into consciousness, I realized they were talking about a dog loose in the campground. They were scared of him and wondered if he was aggressive. With my eyes still closed, I thought, oh I better be careful, my dog probably wouldn't do well with a loose dog running around. They went on talking about the dog and seemed afraid to approach it. I thought, if I wasn't so tired, I would help, I'm not scared of dogs. As I woke up a little more and their conversation continued, it hit me like a ton of bricks...
MY DOG GOT OUT! Lol, it was my dog, he must have slipped out through the "seam" of the canvas to the pop up.

Phew - thanks everyone.  Good to hear that others haven't had any unwelcomed guests.

*the idea about using the tape on the instead is wonderful- thank you!!

Oh my gosh!! Falling kids and escaping dogs -  what kind of dog do you have?  We have a golden retriever but surely shed be too big to get out right? 

I'll have to recheck and see if ours gets pulled tightly with straps bc that seems like it would help greatly.

You guys are all so wonderful- I just came across this site last night and I'm learning so much reading thru posts/comments.

#4moredaysuntilcamping

You can also spray the outside seams with bug killer, and it would discourage them from the area.

You'll be fine - out there making memories that will last a lifetime. Our family started tent camping in 1965, before graduating to a pop-up in 1967. Six kids and two adults in a Country Squire station wagon, traveling around the United States and Canada, often with extended family joining in.

More than 50 years later, we still talk about those adventures. Camp more, worry less.

We had pop ups for 20 years and never any bugs or other crawlers coming through edges of the canvas. And the kids or other things can only get out of you don?t pull the canvas tight around whatever type of hook your rig uses. The ?canvas? used these days is vinyl and doesn?t stretch like the old cotton canvas did.

He is a 90 pound mastiff pit bull mix, very intimidating looking if you're scared of dogs lol. He must have pushed through the velcro.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1563460392723.jpg
    FB_IMG_1563460392723.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 23
HappyWanderer said:
You'll be fine - out there making memories that will last a lifetime. Our family started tent camping in 1965, before graduating to a pop-up in 1967. Six kids and two adults in a Country Squire station wagon, traveling around the United States and Canada, often with extended family joining in.

More than 50 years later, we still talk about those adventures. Camp more, worry less.

Are we related?? That's what we did, 3 week vacations to Colorado, us kids riding in the backward facing 3rd seat.  Great memories indeed.

'Rearward facing 3rd seat' ...LOL.  When I was a kid, my aunt had a Vista Cruiser just like the one on 'That 70's Show', I've never been one to get carsick, but 10 miles of riding in that backwards seat, I'd be puking my guts up.  On the upside, I always got a window seat  after that....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom