Where were you 50 years ago? (Apollo 11)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLOweather

Where were you?

I was actually with my parents, (I was 14), in our 21' Travco motorhome at some campground in Colorado.

The CG was selected for its TV reception. Just for the landing, Dad bought an AC/DC 12" B/W Sears TV. We watched the landing and EVA while we were boondocking.

That MH wasn't a lot bigger than the LM, especially for 3 people and a recirculating toilet. :)

I was living in the Bay Area on Skyline Blvd, halfway through high school. It was a beautiful clear night, with (as I recall) a full or nearly full moon. I was able to position myself outside the front door so that I could look up and see the moon, and look back inside and see the images of man walking on that same moon. I then looked back up at the moon, thinking "there are men on the moon, right now, as I'm looking at it". I was awestruck; it seemed unbelievable. And yet, it was happening. I remember it like it was yesterday.

(I miss Walter Cronkite  :( )

I was 19 year old kid and had just landed in Viet Nam for my first tour a few days before.

I did not have a clue about what was coming.

I do not even remember being aware that we had landed on the moon.

I do remember being very nervous about everything around me.

HueyPilotVN said:
I was 19 year old kid and had just landed in Viet Nam for my first tour a few days before.

I did not have a clue about what was coming.

I do not even remember being aware that we had landed on the moon.

I do remember being very nervous about everything around me.

Same with me except I was a short timer. Had to stay alive 2 more months. I also don't remember the landing. Was way too busy.

I was working swing shift in a computer room in Menlo Park.  One of the supervisors smuggled in a small TV after 5 so we got to watch some of it.  I was almost 21.

I was nine years old, at Wiesbaden AB in Germany.  Dad was in the AF, stationed there fixing radios.  I vaguely remember the moon landing, but as a nine year old kid, it didn't hold my interest long.  But I have to tell you, I am mesmerized by it now.  Watching all the shows on the many channels (Smithsonian and PBS have had the best so far), it has my full attention.  It is some really cool stuff.

My memorable stateside event while in Vietnam was President Kennedy's assassination. But for the moon landing, I recall my wife and I were in the midst of unpacking boxes in our new house while trying to keep our two year old twin daughters corralled and out of mischief. I remember we stopped and watched in awe as the landing occurred and we heard Neil Armstrong's famous words...

I was 25, working for IBM and in the process of buying our first house, but we were still in our rented apartment that night. Watched the landing on our little 19" tv and were totally awed by such a momentous event. Our daughter was a little over 3 and we made sure she saw history in the making.  She says she remembers it.

We'd just gotten home in Joliet, Ill after seeing a Bob Hope show at the Sandwich, Ill. airport. We drove there because I'd only gotten as far as my second supervised solo, so couldn't fly in. It was an amazing sight, watching the landing coverage in real time on our little TV. I'd been excited to watch all the coverage for several days as they traversed the path to the moon, and orbited. Great Stuff!

Hi,

I was in northern Indiana and glued to the TV the entire mission. I was a teenager. My Dad shot 8 mm video of the event, including the stepping on the Moon (still have the video). I later went down and saw the last Moon launch Apollo 17.

I was in the BOQ at the Naval Schools Command, Newport, RI. I had been sent there after my sophomore year in dental school as part of my officer's indoctrination for when I graduated and went to active duty. I can still picture the guys sitting around on the sofas watching the landing on a little black and white TV..."one small step for a man..." That was an awesome day.

Well I was nine years old and I'm not sure where I was.....It could have been Norfolk Virginia, Chicago Illinois or Council Bluffs  Iowa....It was a busy summer...

I was in my den at home watching with my wife and 2 daughters, 7 and 9.  I was working at North American Aviation in a different division but knew If I didn't watch I would have problems on Monday and as a Supervisor it was expected!  :)

I was 20 and laying in a veterans hospital bed in Winnipeg after surgery. We were quite thrilled to be able to watch it. It was my last year in the military, after recovering I went back on duty only to receive a medical discharge six months later. I could have reenlisted but didn't bother.

24th Infantry Ft Riley Kansas.....soon to be redesignated to the 1st INF. It was a little trick played on the public, they were told the 1st was pulling out of Vietnam but all they did was deactivate the 24th and sew on 1st INF patches. The only people that came back was those that would have normally rotated, about 300.

Back
Top Bottom