Demco Kar Kaddy SS Tow Dolly- Towing Weights - Other Reccomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
X

X-Roughneck

Searched thru existing threads and decided to start this new thread with specific Weight numbers from what will be my unique situation.  Hoping the board can help me out because I am still a little confused as the towing weights all the weight acronyms, etc.  Also, Dolly users does pivoting wheels and disk brakes that the Kar Kaddy has really make that much difference?  I see much cheaper tow options out there but this model does Fold to a compact size which seems pretty appealing.

Below I have listed the spec sheet weight numbers from the RV, Car, Tow Dolly. 

After much thought I feel the tow Dolly will make more economic sense in my case.  The Demco Kar Dolly SS has supplemental braking, lights, and will allow me to keep my very low mileage 2018 Mazda CX-5, FWD which is not 4 down towable.  The trade off will be the headache of dealing with ratcheting the tires and dealing with the Dolly.  This Dolly model does fold to make things more compact, the tires pivot and has disk braking.

Using the RV Numbers below: GCWR: 22000 LBS- GVWR:14500 LBS= (7500 LBs available?) 

Mazda CX-5 Car Curb Weight (3527 LB) + Dolly Weight (615 LB)" 3527+615= 4142 LB,
Note: Mazda GVWR: 4515 LB

/// Question 1:  I might be looking at this wrong, but I think I can carry 373 LBs of stuff in the car if I in theory wanted to max out car carrying capacity, correct? 4515-4142= 373 available pounds before I hit Mazda CVWR of 4515

/// Question 2:  If the Motor Home is rated at GCWR: 22000 LBs and GVWR: 14500 and I was pulling the Mazda and it was weighing 4500 LBS, I have 3000 LBs remaining for people, fuel, fluids, gear?

Car: Mazda CX-5 FWD
Mazda Curb weight: 3527 LB
Mazda GVWR: 4515 LB

Winnabago Aspect 30J
GCWR: 22000 LBs
GVWR: 14500
30J has a 5000 LB Hitch

Demco Car Kaddy SS
Weight:615 LB

Thanks for all of the numbers!!!

A dolly with brakes is a big deal.  Disc brakes is an even better deal.

The RV GVWR is the most the RV is rated to weigh, including all cargo and passengers.  This is independent of the toad / dolly weight, except for the small hitch wt of the dolly.

The GCWR - GVWR of 7500# is correct for the weight you can tow - assuming the RV is loaded to capacity.  While not really applicable, if the RV only weighed 14,000# (lightly packed), the max towing capacity would be 8,000#  (22,000 - 14,000).

Q1.  If you tow the CX-5 empty, then you are indeed towing 3527+615= 4142 LB.  Your error is the CX-5 can carry about 1000# of cargo, based on the CX-5 numbers.  You can still pull this on the dolly, but the loaded car + dolly now weighs 4515# + 615# = 5130#.  This is still well below the max the RV can handle.

Q2.  NO!  As stated above, the RV is limited to 14,500#  You can add weight to what is being towed, up to the GCWR.  The extra can not go in the RV if it is already at capacity.

Hope this helps!

I think you will be fine with that dolly.  I use an American Dolly because my two cars cannot be 4 down towed.  I fill the car with a lot of stuff when we leave for 5-6 months during winter. Mine has drum brakes and uses a different system for pivoting but works well so far during thousands of miles.  Wish well!

Thanks for the replies guys. Been a bit busy with the move out of San Antonio. While on the subject of Dollies (Different type of Dolly but as a FYI to the board)...Check out "Shoulder Dolly" on You tube.  I decided to go poor boy style and get a 26ft Uhaul and move myself.  Saw these at Lowes. Read the Amazon reviews, saw the posted pics where two big guys were lifting a dumpster with this thing.  Me and my son moved a couple pieces of furniture in the 350-400 LB range and made the impossible possible.  I will say that for sure use of a Shoulder Dolly for moving furniture will cut down cuss words by a minimum of 85%. Hope I don't get scolded by moderators for going a bit off topic.

Back
Top Bottom