Equalizer hitch weight rating ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ccoe1

I have a 1,200lb/12,000 equalizer hitch.  It worked great for my travel trailer that had a hitch weight of 1000lbs.  I purchased a new travel trailer and the hitch weight on the new trailer is 470lbs, I do not have the new camper yet.  I contacted equalizer and they told me that my hitch would be fine for the lighter hitch weight and that I just need to adjust it accordingly.  I dont buy it, if this is the case why would they make a hitch for different trailer weights.  I think I would need lighter spring bars.
Will my hitch work or do I need a new hitch?

I tend to agree with you, seems that will be some pretty darn tight springs bars, but I'm just not familiar enough with that style WDH.  Having said that, since you already have the heavy duty set-up, I certainly would give it a try.  Better than the other way around with to light duty of a set-up.  You might try and call them again, and speak with a second representative and discuss your concerns.

It's a matter of degree, but I doubt if 1200 lb spring bars can adjust as low as 470 lbs. A hitch design like the Equal-I-Zer needs at least a little tension on the bar to function well and I suspect that at 470 bs there is little or no pressure being applied.  On the other hand, if it is truly 470 lbs, you may not need weight distribution spring bars at all.

I'm skeptical about the 470 lbs, though. Sounds like the hitch weight for an empty trailer as it leaves the factory. The hitch weight needs to be at least 10% of the loaded trailer weight to avoid swaying, and more is better. So, unless that trailer weighs in at 4700 lbs or less, the 470 number is too low. If the trailer GVWR is 6000 lbs or more, then those 1200 lb bars are probably ok.

You asked why they offer sizes.  The bars have to be "big enough" for the actual weight, but the bigger they are the heavier (and more expensive) they get.  Therefore it is convenient to get bars sized just right for the job, minimizing the extra weight & cost and making storage and installation more handy. However, in most cases it isn't necessary to downsize the bars if you already have ones that are big enough for the job.

The 470lbs is the dry weight.  As I was typing this up it didn't occur to me what it is going to come in loaded.  With what I have now is around 1,000lbs. of gear.  When this gets transferred to the new camper I would think the hitch weight is going to be quite a bit more but nowhere near 1,200lbs.

Your springs bars should be sufficient for use when & if the trailer is ever fully loaded, so base the bar size on 10% of the trailer GVWR and you will be in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom