Bathroom Sink and Shower Problems! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update! Got on the roof last night to check the vents they are both clear. Realized that the guy who did our walk through told us wrong about the black and grey tank valves and we have been leaving our black tank open this whole time based on his information. We took it back to the dealer today to get a huge list of problems fixed, some of which I haven?t mentioned on this thread. I?m interested to hear the issue with the bathroom drains and whether or not we have two tanks. They estimate it will be 1.5 weeks before we are able to pick it up :(. I will post and update on what they find and what they did. I am very thankful for everyone?s advice and information. Looking forward to other posts on this forum. Thank you all!!

asmol said:
We took it back to the dealer today They estimate it will be 1.5 weeks before we are able to pick it up

Considering the time of year, I'd celebrate if you get it back in 1.5 weeks.  Glad it's there, too much invested to not start your next life chapter in disarray.  Everything in the RV world is a learning curve.  Many have great stories.  Stay safe is #1.

By some miracle, I called today to check on the status of our camper and it is ready today! But we are at work so we will pick it up tomorrow. The issue was that we did INDEED have a second grey tank that was full, but! there was no valve to empty it. It had apparently broken off before we bought it. They replaced that along with my other broken grey tank valve and walla! The bathroom drains drained perfect. I called to also verify that nothing came loose because when the grey tank valve broke initially there was a thud like something had fallen inside the underbelly. The man at the service desk assured me saying that there was no note by the technician that anything else was wrong and that he thinks it was the valve extension that we heard. Don't know whether or not to believe that, but we will look at it tomorrow when we pick it up. I talked to the manager when we dropped it off letting him know that the walk through technician told us incorrectly about which valve was which, and he also told us we had no galley tank. It is frustrating that he did not provide us with the right information, because we are 100% new to this. In retrospect, there was a lot of questions we asked him that he did not seem to know the answer to, but somehow he managed to make up an answer that we of course believed. I am glad everything is resolved and I am really hoping nothing further will happen that prevents us from getting on the road to our first travel assignment.

Glad for you. The valve did not break off as you said. If it had, the tank would have emptied instantly. Probably the valve handle or extension broke off leaving you unable to operate the valve.

Yay  :)) :))  Thanks for the update.  Ya, most of us around here view most RV staff as the same as used car salespeople.  Some places have decent technicians  :), but for you to get it back so quickly is ... not-typical.  Glad they addressed your problem quickly.  Fingers crossed.

Sooooo, unfortunate update. We picked up our camper Friday and decided to stay in that area to set it up to make sure it worked. Everything was going swell until today when we started packing up. We went to check our tank levels and our grey tank was reading 2/3 full despite both valves were open. Not to mention, the valve they replaced, was not done well. We went to fill the blank tank to 2/3 before we emptied it and discovered when they had done work on the control panel (I had requested the fix a broken switch) the switched the buttons for the grey and black tank levels. Once we figured that out, we drained our tanks appropriately but found out the handle they "fixed" was not indeed fixed. It was very difficult to slide in and out and so much force and pressure had to be applied to it, that we were afraid of it breaking again. I had also requested they reattach the capture plate on the king pin and they did a poor job on that as well because it fell off when we detached upon arrival to the service department today. Upon arrival there I went to look at the valves to take pictures and noticed that on the drive over, our blank tank valve broke off. The service department was closed today but the manager agreed to let us drop it off due to the issues we are having. We left it there again because it was close and convenient, but if they fail to do their job again, we will for sure take it somewhere else. Seems like every time we get comfortable and try to settle in, something happens. Really bummed :(

Rats, sorry to hear that.  You guys will soon become handy DIY people.  I know, warranty work, but what you are dealing with seems to be common with most every new purchase.  Hopefully they get it right this time, and do it in a timely manor.  :))

You might want to call the Forest River factory customer service line and ask them for some right answers and help with the dealer.  When I bought my motorhome new, I had the usual list of things for the dealer to fix.  They fixed some things, but claimed other things were my fault, so not covered under warranty.  In a few days, some of the things they "fixed" had broken again.  When I took it back, the mechanic said he had already fixed that and that I must be doing something to break them again.  (The one item was that the trim on the overhead sun roof kept falling off and hitting me as I drove, so I could not have broken that!)  They also told me one drawer had come unlatched and bashed a hole in the paneling next to my stove because I had "overloaded" it, so refused to fix that as well. 

Anyway, after more grief and arguments. I called the Fleetwood factory service people to ask for the load limits for all cabinets and drawers so I did not break anything else, especially since I now had a 4' hole in the cabinet paneling.  They said there were no such load limits.  Long story is that I started taking it to the factory for repairs.  (Luckily, Decatur, IN, was not too far away and I had to drive past it to head west.)  I ended up taking it there instead of the dealer and not only did I get no arguments from the mechanics, they fixed everything right the first time, and gave me correct answers to questions!  They even fixed one thing I did not know was broken.

Also, unless they have to order an unusual part, they should be keeping your rig only a day or two to fix stuff.  Do NOT allow them to give you the "few weeks" story.  Basically, they like to tell you that so they can park your rig in the back of the lot and only work on it when they don't have more important things to do.  Those of us who full-time have learned to get time estimates before we go in for service, and we will almost always tell them we will have to wait for the repairs to be done because we have no other place to go.  (Having a customer sitting in the waiting room makes them work faster.)  We also make sure they have the right parts.  I have gone as far as ordering the parts myself in advance from the factory and have them shipped to me so I can go in with the right parts.  That will save you a couple of weeks of "camping" in your rig in the dealer or service parking lot!!

Excellent idea to take photographs of before and after, as you have learned!

We picked up our camper yesterday and they actually had the service manager who worked on it himself walk through our issues with us. He also hooked it up to sewage for us so we could test each tank and valve to make sure we were happy with what he did. He actually got down and laid on the ground to show us his work. So far he is the ONLY person who seems to know what they are doing at this camping world. All is well now with our tank situations. HOWEVER, we noticed our water heater is not heating like it is supposed to. We have an electrical and LP switch for our water heater and I have had it switched to electric for over 24 hours now. It barely comes out warm enough to half way tolerate a shower. I had a neighbor next door look at the outdoor inlet and he didn?t really see anything wrong. He suggested looking at the indoor electrical panel to insure that the switch wasn?t turned off, and suggested to flip the breaker for that specific area  off and on again. Problem is, when I look at the breaker, I have no idea what I am looking at. Also read somewhere to make sure that the winterize switch wasn?t placed to bypass the water heater. I checked that and all is well. I?ll post some pictures of my breaker switches. Any idea on trouble shooting would be greatly appreciated. I am NOT taking it back to camping world again! 

Here are the photos of my breaker panel. And it?s current state. There is also a green flashing light and I?m not sure if that?s normal.

Attachments

• IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 18
Happy you got your RV back, to find 1 good person at a Camping World is a miracle. ;)  (most of us despise the organization)  Anyways, good luck getting your water heater straightened out, mine is propane only.  I would recommend that you start a new thread, call it Water Heater help or something, lumping ongoing issues in threads don't always get looked at.  Also, be sure to list Water Heater Model#.  Does it heat up with propane only?  Maybe element burned out?

It looks to me like the second breaker from the bottom is the one for the Water Heater  (W/H).  Shut it off then back on. Now if that doesn't work, there's  chance the element is burnt out. You may have unintentially turn on the heater for electric and the tank was empty. Or maybe someone at the dealership did it.
How many valves do you have on the backside of the heater for winterizing?

The only thing to check [superficially] on the  breaker panel is whether the water heater breaker is on or not. Just flip it Off and back On.  If not sure which breaker (they may be labeled incorrectly), flip them ALL Off and On again.  Anything more than that requires a voltmeter and removing the front cover (which I sense is beyond your skill level).

I can't identify the brand & model of the power panel from that photo, so have no clue what a flashing green light might mean. Can you read the label and advise us on that?

We also need to learn the brand and model of water heater, but since its a dual electric+LP type, the first thing to try is both LP and electric mode. If one works but the other doesn't, the field of problems is narrowed considerably.  Likewise if neither works, there is a different but still reduced number of possible problems.

Turns out the outdoor shower knob for the hot water was on. There was no water leaking so I never would have thought to check it, if it weren't for some youtube video I stumbled upon. Water is scorching hot now just like I like it! Thanks again to all for your help and support.

asmol said:
Turns out the outdoor shower knob for the hot water was on. There was no water leaking so I never would have thought to check it, if it weren't for some youtube video I stumbled upon. Water is scorching hot now just like I like it! Thanks again to all for your help and support.

That's awesome. We would have asked that question during our trouble shooting. Thanks for getting back to us.

Back
Top Bottom