Mysterious switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donkita

Hi all. I just upgraded my 93 Jayco 18' to a 2000 Xplorer 21'. I'm still trying to find out where everything is and what everything does. There are several switches mounted into the dash, and I have figured most of them out. To the left of the steering wheel there is a push-button switch that provides starting power from the house battery if the engine battery dies. To the right of the steering wheel is a toggle switch which allows the indash stereo to run off the engine or house battery, or turn it completely off. Between this switch and the steering wheel, there is a small 2-position toggle that is labeled simply "On" (up) and "Off" (down). I can not figure out what it is supposed to do. I don't notice anything different with it on or off. Any ideas? I've seen some posts discussing a battery charger shut off switch. What would be the point of that?

Thanks for any help,
Keith

Keep the batteries from overcharging and burning up the batteries.

I'm not familiar with Xplorer motorhomes and there are many possibilities for that switch.  One might be a defroster for the side view mirrors. Another could be driving or fog lights. Still another possibility is a switch that enables/disables power to something else that has its own on/off switch, e.g.  overhead map lights, courtesy lights, windshield fans, etc. You might not observe anything happening in that case, since the device might still be off when the dash switch is on.

Maybe Xplorer Customer Service could help you - their contact info is on their website: Xplorer RVs

James Godward said:
Is there a switch somewhere for heated mirrors??  This may be it if there is not one elsewhere????

As James said,  I too have one unlabeled switch on my rig, it's next to the mirror controls and it's the mirror heater

Most big rigs have heated mirrors.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. For those who are not familiar with Xplorerer, it is basically a Dodge Ram 3500 van conversion. The mirrors appear to be stock, and according to the Ram van owners manual, heated mirrors were not available. I  think it's unlikely that the conversion company modified these. With regard to battery charging, my understanding is that the house batteries charge when the engine or generator is running, maybe somewhat when hooked to shore power, and trickle charges from the solar charger. So, at what point would you know that you need to turn the charging off to avoid "overcharging and battery burn-out"?And is it even possible to block all of these charging sources? I aasumed that all of this was handled automatically, as with the alternator/engine battery. Anyway, I'll keep trying things to isolate purpose of the switch. Also, there are no driving or fog lights.

Thanks, Keith

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom