Tire replacing and wheel bearing repacking...where do I go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camper054

Hi all,

I am getting ready to pick up a pop up (about 2000lbs - not a big one) this weekend and drive 450 and some it through the hills - 5% to 7% up and down grades.

The owner owned the camper for about 6 years and did not change them.  as far as he remembers -  the previous owner replaced them a year or two back.  So, definitely the tires has been at least 7 to 8 years old now and possibly need to be replaced. 

The owner tells me that the threads look good and maybe I should get them changed right after I drive back.  But I want to change them before I embark the trip.

Where do I go to them changed and possibly adding grease to the wheel bearings?  Which places do you recommend?  I know many are DIY and I could do it to, but not at this time as I will be driving 450 miles with my 1500 truck on Sat (staying at a bed and breakfast) and pick up the camper on Sunday morning and drive back.  So, I do not know if I want to do it myself at this time.

So, which place would you recommend or know?  Sorry if this is a dumb question as this would be my first pop up and first time towing anything!!!  So, I am a little bit nervous.

Thanks!
MC

Repacking is more than just "adding grease to the wheel bearings." For standard type bearings, you need to remove the bearing from the axle, remove all of the old grease, clean the bearing with solvent, then re-install it with new grease. having it done while the wheels were already off (for tire replacement) should be cheaper than having it done separately.
Joel

Search online and decide which tire shop you want to go to and call ahead and make sure they have the tires you need. You might also make a reservation that way they can get you in and out quickly.
Also check with them about repacking the bearings while they have the wheels off.

I would also suggest trying the more mom and pop tire dealers, as they are more likely than the big chain places to be able to repack the bearings. 

Thanks all for the advice and comments.

Getting ready to leave in a few hours to pick up the camper. Should be back tomorrow and let you know how it went...wish me luck :).

MC

Update:

Hi all, we made it back safely last night with the camper.  It is a very nice camper, stored inside, and extremely well maintained.  I have searched for about a month and did not see a camper that is about 15-17 years old, but in such a good condition. 

As for the tires, I was worried - I had two new tires (mounted on rims) with me, in case I find it questionable to travel 450 miles.  Upon checking personally, I decided not to change them.  I had a temperature gun with me to measure the tire temp often.  So, I stopped after first 30 minutes, measured the temp and it was around 120 degrees.  Then I stopped after an hour or so, it was around 130 degrees.  I also stopped agin after driving about one and a half hours and it was still around 130 degrees.  It was day time and outside temperature was 90 degrees!  Lastly, I stopped about 2.5 hours after constant driving and it was late evening by that time and the temperature came down to 115 degrees!  So, I stopped worrying and then drove back to home.  I should have taken one last temperature measure after getting back, but I was too tired and forgot about it!

Anyway, of to the next adventure.  The owner showed everything and how things work, but now I guess, it is my time to figure them out and take the camper to next adventure!

Happy camping folks!
MC

Make sure you still check the manufacturers date code. Just because you made it home this time, doesn't mean you won't have issues next time. Just  thought.

I am trying to find the date code, but haven't seen any...but yes, definitely, I would be changing the tires as well as repack the wheel bearings 'soon' :).

thanks!
MC

Camper054 said:
I am trying to find the date code, but haven't seen any...but yes, definitely, I would be changing the tires as well as repack the wheel bearings 'soon' :).

thanks!
MC
4 Numbers in a row.  1813 would mean made in week 18 of 2013.  But, since you already have new tires, mute point, put the new tires on it and be happy.  Do repack your wheel bearings, many great youtube videos on how.

Hi, thanks so much for helping me to find the date code.  The tires are in 'relatively' good shape, but when I couldn't 'locate' the date code, I was worried that these tires may 'pre-date' date code requirements!  I will look for them now.  I set up the tent yesterday, went rough the electrical systems to check and make sure I can operate the AC, lights, etc.  I also checked the propane system.  The inside burner works, but the outside grill is not.  I have a neighbor who also has a Coleman camper and brought his outside grill, and his one works!  So, now I am troubleshooting the hose.  Looks like the hose has an issue.  I am trying to blow air and looks like something is stuck.  After blowing hard few times (and making my jaw hurt), I am getting something - so, I am thinking it is fixable.  If it doesn't work, I will take the hose to Homedepot or Lowes to see if they have something I can try. 

Yep, I am changing the tires before my next trip - in about two weeks and repack the wheel bearings.

Many thanks!!!
MC

Back
Top Bottom