Water issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

avsatcom

I am a disabled Veteran on limited income and have a fifth wheel and we use it full time.. Having issues with water. smells like sulfur. Have put in several types of filters and they only last a week. Any input to help from spending too much money? Thank you

You need to sanitize your entire water system. It's easy to do. Put 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of water in your fresh water tank. Fill the tank. Drain your water heater and reinstall the drain plug. Then using your pump, pressurize the entire system. Run each faucet till you get a faint bleach smell. Don't forget the toilet.  Let it sie for a few hours then drain everything. Smell should be gone.

If you are hooked up to an external water source, check to see if the source is bad. I have experienced foul smelling water at various camping facilities over the years. If it is the source water, you will need to increase the capacity of your filtering system at the source and have a water sample checked to be sure it is safe. 

Yes Hooked up to external source, it was checked and ok other than foul smell. I put in a regular RV filter that lasted a week then put in a whole house 3 stage filter and same lasted only a week.

avsatcom said:
Yes Hooked up to external source, it was checked and ok other than foul smell. I put in a regular RV filter that lasted a week then put in a whole house 3 stage filter and same lasted only a week.

Are you saying it's the water supply that smells?

I would have the water checked out to be sure it is safe and to find out what is causing the odor. Local health departments will sometimes offer a service to check the water or they will direct you accordingly. There are legal limits that providers must adhere to for safe and clean water. Weekly filter changes doesn't sound reasonable. 

Amazon Prime:  Aquaboon Coconut Shell Water Filter Cartridge | Activated Carbon Block CTO | Universal 5 Micron 10 inch Cartridge | Compatible with DWC30001, WFPFC8002, FXWTC, WHEF-WHWC, WHKF-WHWC (6-Pack).  Cost would be about $5 a filter.  If you do not have the plastic housing to hold the cartridge Amazon, Home Depot or Lowes carry them about $30-$40.  If you need the carbon cartridges full time then buying them in even larger quantities would same a little more.  Good Luck

Attachments

• 41pdXWAjYpL.jpg
    41pdXWAjYpL.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 11
Thank you all for your input, will keep you updated.
Yes it is a private well
Thank you all and God Bless

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom