portable RV surge protector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monarch4me

So many on Amazon, looking at the PT50X 312.00  :eek:, i don't want to fry my electronics, whats good and what are you using opinions please :D, thanks

Progressive makes a very good product. I have their portable 50 amp system, and it works great. Other than someone stealing it (which I think is pretty unlikely) the only thing you should be aware of is, portable systems can't detect a broken/disconnected neutral ground wire in the shore power cord's plug, and that's not a terribly uncommon problem. They can detect an open ground in the power pedestal, but not in the shore power cord's plug. That's because the device is upstream from the plug.

I modified our portable device, so that it now connects to our system between the shore power cord and the transfer switch. Now, it's downstream from the plug. I did that, because the neutral ground wire in our plug came loose a few months ago, and when I plugged into 50 amp service and turned on two roof AC units, the electrical load imbalance caused all kinds of problems. And the EMS device was working fine.

Knowing what I know now, if I had it to do over again, I'd have bought the hard-wired unit instead of the portable unit, and saved myself a lot of trouble modifying the portable unit, and several hundred dollars in appliance damage.

Kev

I too recommend the HW series not the PT. but I called up the Technical specs for the PT50X

Progressive Industries makes a number of Surge Guards/EMS units ranging from one that is very cheap and not much good all the way up to the HW-50C (Which I consider the best)
There is a portable version of the HW-50C called the PT-50C
ANd it appears that the only major difference between the PT-50C and the PT-50X is cosmetic

IN short  GO FOR IT. good unit if you want a portable.

4winds4me said:
So many on Amazon, looking at the PT50X 312.00  :eek:, i don't want to fry my electronics, whats good and what are you using opinions please :D, thanks
I have the same portable unit as mentioned.
Kevin brings up a good point however.

I have the HW 50-C and love it!  It is between my incoming power cord and the internal breaker panel.  Everything is protected.  The display rotates through volts and amps on each leg, hertz and error codes.  It is real easy to see what is going on with the power.

PT50x here. It just works. Protects against every conceivable  fault. I had a PT 50C. I broke the receptacle.  I took it to their place (5 miles from home),  they gave me a refurbished PT50X to replace it. No charge. The 50X has a cover over the receptacle to keep the rain out. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom