Can you help us decide which way to go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redrhino

Ok, we are about to retire, and buy a Class A motorhome.
I thought we would go for 2 to 3 weeks at a time, and return home in between.  My spouse planned on leaving on a Monday morning, and returning a year later.  Poor communication on our part!

So it looks like we will be going for 50 to 75 days at a time, with 3 weeks to a month at home before heading out again for a couple of years, or till we wear out.

We are trying to decide on gas vs. diesel, and how big.  We will be flat towing some kind of vehicle. Of course cost will be an issue.

The following are all concerns for us:

1) How big will be big enough to be gone that long, VS. how small do we need to be to get into the park campgrounds?

2) Is a bigger unit worth having to make towing easier?

3) How used should we go?  Is a 2013 too old?  We know we aren't buying new, but a one or two year old unit seems about right, since while a older unit might not have a lot of miles, all the appliances, etcetera, have lot of time on them.

4) Diesels units are more expensive, but seem to be built better overall, and definitely are better when you consider things like air brakes, and engine brakes.  But of course, if you need repairs, you are more limited, and will be more expensive.

5) Right now, she wants a 30 to 33 foot class A, and doesn't care if its a diesel or not (but would prefer cheaper, so no diesel).  She thinks that will be plenty of room.

6) I would prefer a 36-37 foot diesel pusher, for reliability, power pulling, and engine braking, plus the added storage, especially in the basement.

Can we ask you guys to tell us what you regret, or did right, on size and fuel, and what you would do differently? Go big or go home?  Or go small and just learn to live with it?

I'll give my opinion on each of your questions. And that's all it is, an opinion

1) How big will be big enough to be gone that long, VS. how small do we need to be to get into the park campgrounds?
You'll find plenty of campgrounds for either size RV you and your wife are considering.

What's important is the towing capacity of the RV; not the size. Also, Also, how much will the towed vehicle ("toad") impact the payload (cargo) capacity of the RV. For instance, towing 4 down will add just the weight of the hitch to the RV's payload.

3) How used should we go?  Is a 2013 too old?  We know we aren't buying new, but a one or two year old unit seems about right, since while a older unit might not have a lot of miles, all the appliances, etcetera, have lot of time on them.
The condition of the RV and how well it was maintained is more important than the age. In addition, most used motor homes don't have a lot of miles on them because most are only driven a few thousand miles per year.

4) Diesels units are more expensive, but seem to be built better overall, and definitely are better when you consider things like air brakes, and engine brakes.  But of course, if you need repairs, you are more limited, and will be more expensive.
Diesel MHs tend to be more quiet than gassers because they produce their greatest torque at low RPMs. Diesel pushers are usually the most quiet. However, gasser MHs cost less and get their highest torque at higher RPMs. So, kind of noisy going up hills/mountains. While some diesel advocates claim the maintenance costs of diesels are similar to gassers, I don't believe it. Don't misinterpret, I like diesels and their advantages. But, the cost of having a shop do a diesel oil change shocks me.

5) Right now, she wants a 30 to 33 foot class A, and doesn't care if its a diesel or not (but would prefer cheaper, so no diesel).  She thinks that will be plenty of room.
I and my 70 lb dog do just fine full timing in a 24 foot TT. But, I'm more comfortable in a smaller space than most people. It truly is a personal preference.
However, having one or two slideouts can make an RV feel much more roomy. If you prefer to carry a lot of stuff, then a larger RV may make sense. I suggest you and your wife rent a motor home for a week or two to learn what works for the two of you. Also, you and your wife should consider how you'd handle being cooped up in the MH for several days because of bad weather

6) I would prefer a 36-37 foot diesel pusher, for reliability, power pulling, and engine braking, plus the added storage, especially in the basement.
A gasser can also be very reliable. If you can afford the price and maintenance cost of a diesel pusher, it's a nice way to go. Again, see answer to number 5.

Can we ask you guys to tell us what you regret, or did right, on size and fuel, and what you would do differently? Go big or go home?  Or go small and just learn to live with it?
I'll close with one comment: When you and the wife are angry at each other, the RV becomes 10 feet shorter.  ;D

8x30 equals about 250 SqFt.  So to convince your wife block off all but the bedroom, one bathroom and half your kitchen.  Tell her your going to live in that much space for a month.
For long term you need to concertrate on living space and comfort.  Once you go shopping and find one you thing you like, get rid of the salesman for a half hour.  Play house.  Pretend your making a meal, taking a showe, using the toilet, watchting TV.  Well you get the idea.  Each of you make a list of likes and dislikes.  Compare your lists.  You will find the best for you floor plan.
Many years ago oir first RV was a motor home.  Did not take long to realize our mistake.  Sold it, tried a couple of TTs, truck camper and tent trailer.  Wound up with a fifth wheel and loved it for over 12 years.  We looked long and hard and found the ideal for us floor plan.  Even the day we sold it we still loved the layout.  Tons of storage, plenty of closet space, it just worked.
Please do not lock yourself into one single type of RV.  Look at everything.  You may find a TT fits your needs better, or even a fifth wheel.
Downsides to MHs besides initial cost, maintenance and upkeep, and the need to have a toad all add to the cost per mile.

We started out is a 33 foot class A MH and in 6 years we were constantly wishing we had more room.  After the 6 yrars wwe got a 38 foor diesel pusher and were much happier and had a little more room.  After about 4 or 5 years we both thought we would like more room as were were spending up to 6 months on th road but for one reaswon or another we never did up grade again.  One of the primary reasons was our ages.  We were fast approaching 80 and the probably end of our wandering.  We made it a couple of years more and then our health got in the way and ou rtravels went way down.  We sold the MH and retired from RVing.

I recommend you really look at the space available and try to imagine a week or more in the space of an RV.  If I was to start over, I would get a cared for 40 foot diesel pusher with at least a 400 hp engine
If the unit is well cared for, a 2013 unit should be fine.

The appliances are relatively cheap and fairly easy to replace.  In some cases you would replace with non-RV ones such as washer/dyer,Refer/microwave/etc.

The diesel was much more comfortable driving, did not work as hard and while some maintenance costs are more the result is a much better vehicle than the gas models.

Just my thoughts on this and they have been modified by my experience with both

Redrhino said:
Ok, we are about to retire, and buy a Class A motorhome.
I thought we would go for 2 to 3 weeks at a time, and return home in between.  My spouse planned on leaving on a Monday morning, and returning a year later.  Poor communication on our part!

So it looks like we will be going for 50 to 75 days at a time, with 3 weeks to a month at home before heading out again for a couple of years, or till we wear out.

We are trying to decide on gas vs. diesel, and how big.  We will be flat towing some kind of vehicle. Of course cost will be an issue.

IBTripping, I had to chuckle at your final comment. ;D Renting for your first trip would seem the way to go, you will quickly find what you like or don't like about the unit. You may find driving a 37' boxcar intimidating especially in campgrounds and fuel stops. Maybe you and/or your wife will decide that this is not the lifestyle you envisioned, you won't have a lot of money tied up in a unit you don't want.
As far as diesel vs gas goes I would opt for diesel given your intended usage. Better fuel mileage and torque for pulling on steep grades. Yes, maintenance is more expensive but less frequent so it really won't make much difference. I tow with a diesel in the mountains and will not consider going back to gas. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Here are a few thoughts,

First it seems that you have little idea how, or where you will travel, what type of traveling you will be doing, etc.  Will you be staying in State and National parks, or other public campgrounds or will you be at Class A resorts with swimming pools, hot tubs, and community activity buildings?  How light do you travel, are you the sort of people that are minimalist with 1 pair of shoes and 3 changes of clothes, or do you carry decorations for every holiday from Christmas to Halloween? (yes there are lots of full time RV's that decorate for all the holidays, how they stow the stuff I have no clue).

The questions you have asked, tells me that you are likely no where near as prepared as you should be to make a purchase.  You may have some of the broad brush stroke items in mind, but there are lot of little details you need to get at least half way right for the way you will use the coach, or else you will be very unhappy.  Length of coach is just one of many factors that control where you can go, you should also consider things like wheel cut, off tracking, tail swing, etc.  The result of all of this is that you may find a 38 ft coach that has the same or less turning radius as a 32 ft model built on a different chassis.  Of course at the same time no amount of improvement in turning radius will help fit a 37 ft coach into a 33 ft long RV site.

On the age question, I don't feel that there is any one right answer, it is like asking how old of house should you not consider, build quality and how it was cared for are far more important than age, though after a certain point things do get dated, just like a house.  Personally I would prefer to have a 15-20 year old higher quality coach that has been well maintained versus a 5 year old entry level coach that has been abused, though the key here is maintained.

Also you seem to be in the used car mindset, try to get out of it, and think more of being in a used house mindset.  An older coach that has been well maintained, stored indoors, and lightly used 2-3 weeks per year, may be far better than the 3-4 year old coach bought from a set of snowbirders who lived in it 180 days per year.

Having said all that my best advice at this point is to go rent a coach for a week or so similar to the type you are considering buying.  Meaning if you are thinking about a 32-38 ft class A, rent a 32-38 ft class A, or at least something close, not a 24 ft Cruise America class C.

p.s. sorry if this comes off a bit jumbled it is 2 am here, and I can't sleep

Many good points here, but I'll reiterate the highlights:

1. The amount of space needed is very much an individual perspective, but the largest RV is only about 350-400 sq ft. The living room in your house is probably that big, and doesn't have a bath, kitchen, bed and clothes closet. Read donn's reply again. And again.

2. Forget the car-buying mentality, both the selection criteria and the dealer/manufacturer expectations. It's first and foremost a house and most of us would not blink an eye at a 10 year old house with furnace and a/c to match. You spend most of your time living in an RV, not driving it. Don't expect an RV dealer to act at all like a car dealer or an RV manufacturer to provide the same level of support, parts and manuals that all car manufacturers have. Ain't gonna happen!

3. There is no size that is too big for campgrounds. Obviously bigger means fewer choices, but there are plenty of campsites for whatever size you choose.

4. Diesel pushers are nice. Not simply because they have diesel engines - the diesel is part of a general upgrade in chassis capability and size. More robust in many ways and with enhanced ride and handling.  Gas chassis rigs are entire adequate, but the diesels are in a higher tier.  If your space and style needs take you above 36 ft or 24,000 lbs you are going to get a diesel anyway. If a little less than that, you have a choice, but much below that size and gas is the primary choice.

5. I personally think a mid-upper tier model is the right choice. Make it as old as need be to stay within budget, but you get more for your money is a used high end model. Condition is the key (just like in houses).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom