Found my Motorhome :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alann

Nothing to do today so wife and I found an RV dealer that was open on sundays.  Went for a look just for kicks.  We are used to small class "A" MH's and want to stay on the small side.  Were looking seriously at a Fleetwood 32VS (33.5 feet or so) but hesitated because we do not want to deplete our funds too much.  Anyway they had a Winnebago Vista 30B.  Very basic coach and about 31 feet long.  Extras are elec. levelers, rear camera, elec./heated mirrors, ladder, spare tire, oven, awning, and wheel liners.  They came down from MSRP (looking at 67K give or take a few, about 70 or so out the door).  I know it is a basic unit but, it will leave me 300 to 400 $$ per month extra to play with.  Could buy lots of extras and some gas to boot!  Any opinions on the model? 

Is this a 06, 07, or 08  unit and Ford or Chev.  Makes a difference./  Personally I rather have Fleetwood than Winnie  But that's just me. Didn't have good dealings with Winnie.  Should be a least 25 to 30 % off list if new.

It's an 07, Ford.  I would rather have the Fleetwood also.  However, on a fixed income with stick house and RV the 300 or so a month is the difference between limited use of the RV or using it whenever and for however long we want.  Willing to give up "extras" for that.  Just want to make sure the unit has good "bones"  Thanks for the input.  :)

Alan

The Vista is Winnebago's "bare bones" model and has several limitations, most notably is storage.  While other models use beltline storage doors that open wide, the Vista has smaller "saddlebag" style storage compartments with the door cut out of the sidewall.  This is similar to the Hurricane or the Fleetwood Terra.  Entry level amenities such as cheap faucets, sink, and what I call "WalMart Style" furniture, partical board wrapped with simulated wood.  That doesn't mean it's a bad motorhome, but it is a cheap one.  It's just like a house, you can have one come on a truck in two pieces or custom built with plush carpet, crown molding and corian. 

By the way, check out the '03 Brave in the for sale...34' with 2 slides and workhorse chassis.  It's in your price range!

I'd suggest a used rig in your price range. You will get a lot more for your money. Used motorhomes are usually a good buy and there are a lot of them on the market because everybody is upgrading all the time.

If you prefer a new Fleetwood, why not look at their more basic models, e.g. the Fiesta & Terra.  They comes in sizes down to 26 feet. I think MSRP on a basic 31 foot Terra is about $73K, so you should be able to get one for $60k (+ tax & tag) or maybe even a bit less.  One with a slide like the Vista is about $2k more, with an MSRP around $75k. You should have no problem getting that "out the door" well under $70k.

alann  The reason we make these statements its we've all been there done that and see the advantages of buying something decent for the same buck.  The new lower value unit isn't as good as the medium or upper end units a few years older.  Certainly these used unit aren't worn out, by no means, but the quality is definitely for better.  Look them over and check them out.  Me  I drive a 98 Pace Arrow 37 ft with a tag axle.  Why because I like it and when viewing newer units, they aren't much different.  Yes I'd love to have a diesel 03 or newer, but I can't justify the cost of the unit for no more than I drive what I have.  I've only got 30K miles on it.  My 6.8 MPG is fine the way I drive it and that will increase now that I no longer tow a big trailer behind.  There's variations to everything but quality has no substitute.  JMO

alann,

There is nothing wrong with wanting a new RV and you can get a reasonable deal when you do. If no buyer ever wanted new, where would all of these "experts" find their used rigs? Winnebago has a far better track record for both quality and support than does Fleetwood. They were the first to build a motorhome for the average buyer and have continued to lead in the industry ever since. Fleetwood does build some pretty good units, but they also build some real junk. And they have nowhere near the record for customer support that Winnebago does.

And by the way, this isn't said because of what I own as I have never owned a Winnebago product, but they are one that I have considered, while Fleetwood is not. I have owned RVs since 1972 so have a little experience with them. If you want some valid ratings of RVs visit the RV Consumer Group at www.rv.org .

Thanks.  Funny thing is we were already reconsidering our choice.  It is not an issue of affordability but, of trying to decide if it is better to go "economical" or spending the extra money for quality.  Guess it just seems like a big commitment.  We have decided that we do not want to exceed 100K on a rig.  That is the absolute max we are willing to part with.  It's just that we have heard so many of those horror stories about the folks that spent big $$ and a year or two later ended up loosing mega bucks.  We know that we want to travel and come and go when and for however long we want and know that a MH is the way to go.  Oh well, time to cancel the deposit and rethink it all over again.  OH THE HEADACHES!  Keep the advice comming if you don't mind.  :)  Thanks

Alan

This is where I disagree with Kirk but he's right Fleetwood does have some units I wouldn't buy.  In the past I was an Auto and RV sales manager and we handled Winnie's  I've owned several.  We had much troubles with Winnie in regards to service warranty. This soured me and it's been that way ever since.  Also, FW gives such a variety of units from which to choose that when you get into the upper end coaches they rank among the best. JMO

Shayne said:
Also, FW gives such a variety of units from which to choose that when you get into the upper end coaches they rank among the best. JMO

Bottom line you get what you pay for.  By cheap and you get cheap. We have owned two Bounders which are entry level coaches and had excellent service.  A friend bought two different Winnebagos the first one a lower cost unit and the second  a much more expensive unit.  Swore he would never buy another Winnebago.  I do not have the details as to what the problems were but last I heard they love their Pace Arrow.

I worked for Winnebago for 15 years and left to start a marketing/video production company and I have worked with most major RV manufacturers over the last 8 years, therefore I feel I have taken the Winnebago "blinders" off and try to speak objectively.  Every manufacturer goes thru a quality control problem, some more often than others.  I don't care who the manufacturer is, a new coach WILL need warranty work after that initial "shake down cruise" (or curse as we liked to call it!)  Even a coach that is built perfectly will have issues as it has fiberglass, plastic, wood, steel, aluminum, particle board, all different materials engineered together, then thrust out on the road at 70+ mph in weather that can start at 20 degrees in the am and be 80+ in the afternoon.  Even a custom made home has to have tweaks around the windows, doors and roofline and it just sits there on a concrete slab!

Sorry to ramble, but the main issue in my opinion is the dealer.  If someone had a problem with a Winne or Fleetwood, or anything to the point they would never buy another one...the dealer left them hanging!  Not in every case, but how many times have you gone back to the dealer to get that pesky water leak fixed only to have it come right back?  The good dealers invest in education and training, spend the money on the right equipment like a SealTek machine that pulls air into the coach and "pressurizes" it so the technician only has to spray soapy water on the outside and find the bubbles like finding a nail in a tire. 

As for buying a coach now and loosing all that money down the road...do your homework.  Manufactured Suggested Retail Price is just that...SUGGESTED!  Go to the shows, see what they are selling them for at "Show Price".  Since you don't have a unit now, you'll have better bargaining power with a cash offer.  Know what the real price is as well.  Base price can be elevated by $15-20K with options like generator, awnings, leveling jacks, or upgraded chassis!  If two units look the same, but one is $20K less, find out why?  It may be a lighter chassis, smaller engine, slides, etc, then you have to decide what's important to you. 

I conduct an RV Buyer's Seminar at several AGI shows around the country and this is a common journey.  Good luck, if I can help, you can email me at [email protected]  however, it's good to post here so others can learn as well.

I believe there is a post somewhere in here on new vs used?  Quick recap...new gives all the latest whiz bangs, a warranty, and you know nobody use the bed/toilet.  Used...value, someone else took the hit rolling out the lot.  But someone else found all the bugs...usually.

I agree the dealer should take care of warranty issues.  However, when the dealr fails to live up to their obligations on warranty issues then the manufacturer should do whatever is necessary to get the issues resolved.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom