Towing 05 Fleetwood - Utah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdyke40

Using a '07 Tundra CrewMax, notice a constance "bounce" with the trailer and truck to the point you get sick just sitting.  Had the same issue towing with a '96 GMC Sierra.  I realize the highways can account for some of it but what else am I missing (loads, packing, etc..)?

Thanks

No I'm not and wondered if that would eliminate the problem.  Trailer is 3500GVWR, truck towing cap. 10,100 with payload cap. 1850.

I would suggest you weigh the truck and trailer to insure you are not overloaded.  Also if within weight limits then get a WD hitch setup.  If not within the weight limits then change truck or trailer to make your combination compatable and then get a WD hitch.

I would wonder about the tongue weight.  Clearly a pop-up this size (3500 lb GVWR) is not overloading the Tundra. I would think it more likely that the trailer tongue is too light and it is bobbing up and down all the time. You want to have at least 15% of the trailer's actual loaded weight on the hitch. Is the Tundra hitch rated for that much?  15% x 3500 = 525 lbs. You might need that WD hitch to help balance the load o the truck, even though its payload far exceeds the tongue weight.

I kinda wonder too.  Checked out the Fleetwood specs on a couple of their unit, and they seem to run about 7% tongue weight unladen. 

Thanks for the responses.  Where do I get my truck/trailer weighed?  I'll check to see if I have more info on tongue weight for the Fleetwood.  The only additional gear I pack in the trailer now is chairs, screen room, and accessories in the front box.

tdyke40 said:
Thanks for the responses.  Where do I get my truck/trailer weighed?

Look in the yellow pages under public scales. If there are any moving companies or gravel operations in your area they often have scales. Also check any local truck stops. Tell them that you don't need a certified weight.

Did manage to dig up more info from my Tundra manual.  Tongue load needs to be 9 - 11% of Gross Trailer Weight (3560 + gear 100lbs approx. gives me 329-402lbs).  If gross trailer weight is over 2000lbs sway control is needed and if over 5000lbs weight distribution is needed.  So I'd say at least sway control needed at this point.

Weight distribution hitch will reduce but not eliminate the problem. I have the same issue to a limited extent. 2006 F-150 towing 5,600 wet. We get an occasional bounce on rough surfaces.

tdyke40 said:
Thanks for the responses.  Where do I get my truck/trailer weighed?  I'll check to see if I have more info on tongue weight for the Fleetwood.  The only additional gear I pack in the trailer now is chairs, screen room, and accessories in the front box.

Find your tongue weight directly.  You can cobble up a tongue weight scale with a bathroom scale as Reese shows HERE.

For stability the tongue weight should be 12-15% of the trailer weight.

A weight distributing hitch won't fix a thing if the hitch is too light, which is what I suspect based on the described problem. WD transfers excess load to the front axle of the tow vehicle, but for a light load it does nothing.

More info: Fleetwood's website for the Utah, Unloaded Tongue Weight is 170lbs, load capacity is 1010lbs, so basically if Toyota wants 9-11% (and from what I've read here 10-15%) I need to store more on the front end of the trailer then - right?

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom