rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Dometic DM2852 Refrigerator Troubleshooting  (Read 1159 times)

bmckune

Dometic DM2852 Refrigerator Troubleshooting
« on: July 29, 2019, 04:30:04 PM »
I have a Dometic 2852 refrigerator in our 5th wheel that has worked for 6 years without any issues.  We leave the 5th wheel at a campsite year-round, parked on concrete and it is level and plugged into power.  We leave the fridge on all summer long.  This past weekend the fridge and freezer decided to stop cooling.  The light inside the fridge still turns on, the check switch light is not on.  I checked the fuses outside and both are good.  If I have someone turn off the refrigerator inside, I can hear one click while outside but don't hear anything else running.  I also tested it with gas and got the same results of only a click noise on the outside.  The single click does not sound like the gas ignitor.  Any troubleshooting or solutions suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

donn

• ---
Re: Dometic DM2852 Refrigerator Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 04:57:46 PM »
Look/check the coils for ammonia smell or yellow stains.  No check lights Im suspecting cooling unit failure.

Henry J Fate

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 07:21:54 PM »
Could be a leak in the system but given the age, a board problem would be high on the list. You should have a troubleshooting guide for the fridge in the information package for the 5th wheel. Follow that through and you should be able to determine if you have a bad board. If you do not have the troubleshooting guide for the 2852, it is available online or possibly from another member here.

bmckune

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 09:02:30 PM »
Thank you for the response. Next weekend Iíll take a look at the couple of suggestions above and let you all know what I find out. Thanks.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »
Here is the Troubleshooter document for the 2852:

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/1252service.pdf
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

bmckune

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 08:37:49 AM »
Looks like there is some yellow liquid below the gas connection and below that. Thinking itís the cooling unit. I attached a picture. Would you all agree.  Everything on the board seems to be working based on my test.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 09:19:52 AM »
I don't think it's what you suspect.

One tell-tale of a failed cooling unit is a yellow powder below it, usually near the burner. It's the sodium chromate anti-corrosion component of the coolant.  It would never be liquid - the coolant is gaseous (ammonia + hydrogen) that evaporates almost instantly if it leaks (and leaves the yellow powder behind).
Not sure what that liquid might be, though. Especially along the gas line. Can't see it very clearly in that photo, but there should never be any liquid there.  Is the condensate drain tube feeding to the outside as it should, or is it maybe dripping to the interior?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 09:24:14 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

bmckune

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 11:44:37 AM »
I wanted to follow up and thank everyone that commented on my post.  Changed out the cooling unit on the fridge and we are back in business. 

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 11:53:06 AM »
Good that it is working again, and thanks for letting us know the solution!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck