Atwood water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barry J

We have an Atwood G6A-8E water heater, the electronic start switch was left on, and the water was turned off, for a day.  We came back, noticed that the switch was still on, and the water off.....when I shut it off, and turned it back on, the red light does not come on, like it use to. Usually it will light and then turn off....then I would know it was working, but now the light does not turn on.  I am leaving it ?off? for the night. 
And will see if light goes on briefly, tomorrow morning.
Did I blow something, or screw something up, with the water off, and the heater switch on for a day?
I checked the circuit breaker, but was not tripped
Thanks
Barry

I suspect Rene has it right... It didn't fire up because the thermostat was not calling for it. A couple of hours wait with it off and it should fire up again.

Unless the heater tank was drained, having the water source turned off has no detrimental effect on the heater. 

The red light comes on momentarily during gas burner ignition. I don't think you will see it if the heater is also in 120v electric mode and the water is still hot. There would be no attempt to light the gas burner, so no red light.  Turn off the electric mode switch (or the breaker) and let the water in the tank cool a bit; then flip the gas switch back on and you should get the brief red light as the burner ignites.

You can speed up the test by running some hot water from the tap, thus cooling the tank as incoming colder water mixes in.

Back
Top Bottom