Class A battery question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serrano4657

I have a class A motorhome 32? gas Monterey cobra. I start my rv every 2 to 3 weeks to keep the batteries charged. My rv has a built in battery charger. The last few times I have started the rv, the battery has had trouble starting the engine. There is a button on the dashboard that I can push where the deep cycle batteries kick in and give juice to the engine battery. The engine fires right up. I am sure the battery is low and I took it out
and looked at the front of the battery, to my surprise it is also a deep cycle battery. Is this normal to have  3 deep cycle batteries in an class A? I thought the battery to the engine would be a normal starting battery not a deep cycle battery. Anyone know?
???

The chassis (engine starting) battery should not be a deep cycle battery.  Replace it with a regular engine starting battery.  The house batteries are correctly deep cycle batteries.

As Ned indicated the engine or chassis battery should be a regular automotive battery not a deep cycle battery.  I recommend avoiding exide batteries.

Just starting the engine once in awhile won't charge the engine battery much, so it is going to slowly go dead regardless of the battery type.  The chassis battery loses some amps every week even with no power drain and there is probably some drain on it as well. And starting the engine sucks out some more juice, so you have to let it run quite a while to recharge.

Odds are the Cobra's house charger does not charge the chassis battery. Many (most?) of that generation of motorhome did not.

Back
Top Bottom