93 gmc jimmy sle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saskman

Hey there I have a 93 Jimmy with a GVRW of 3100/2313 and a GAWRRR of 2900/1315 here is the question I bought a 79 triple e 2 axle 17 ft camper trailer can I saftly tow this camper with my Jimmy??

I sent an email to triple e to see if I can get the GVWR for the camper......

I have not found either the GVWR or the hitch weight the info that is on the decal is rubbed off.

Hope Triple E can tell you something but don't count on it for a 1979.  Probably easier just to weigh it and add a factor for gear, water, etc. Then take 15% of that for the tongue weight and see if the Jimmy can handle it.

I have no idea what the tow capacity is on your senior Jimmy either and info on 1993 vintage is hard to come by.  And I'm a bit perplexed by your GVWR statement of "3100/2313".  There is just one GVWR number for a vehicle - it is the max weight rating for the entire vehicle. It should have a 4.3L V6 and that's a fairly strong engine for this size vehicle, but what transmission is in this Jimmy? Std or auto? 2WD or 4x4? and is it the 2 door or 4 door model?

Here is some info on 1990-1994 Jimmys.

At a wild guess I'd say a 17 footer is maybe within the Jimmy's capability. Would not want to go much bigger.

Guess that's the 165 HP engine then?  I think there was an optional engine with more hp - maybe 200?  I had a 1994 GMC Sonoma pick-up and towed a 4400 lb fifth wheel with it for a few months. Barely OK in the Florida flat lands - could not even accelerate well on level roads. Dumped that for a Dodge Dakota V8 in a hurry. 

I'd put a Jimmy of that vintage down for maybe 3500 lbs tops.  3000 lbs would be more sane.  And with the real short wheelbase, even that might be a handful. I suspect a 17 foot travel trailer will be all of that in weight.

DRY WEIGHT 2640 LBS
HITCH WEIGHT 380 LBS
GVWR 3600 LBS
this is what triple e tells me

Hot dang! Triple E came through for you!  :D

Anyway, that's about what I guesstimated so you are going to have to be really cautious and try to stay well under the trailer's GVWR. And that dry hitch weight will up quickly as you load gear onboard, so you better figure 450-500 lbs. That's weight distributing hitch territory for that size tow vehicle.

You really need a more capable tow vehicle, especially if there will be mountains in your itinerary. Hauling that trailer will be asking a lot of the Jimmy even when it was new, and it's a long way from new now. Probably got a bunch of miles on the clock too.

Im in flat land Saskatchewan not a hill in sight..........I am planning on getting a fullsize 1/2 ton next year but this is what I got for now so I will load light and plan to stay a bit under the posted KMH and only do short trips for this year and next year plan for a better tow vehicle.......thatnk you for all your help this website is great for us new trailer owners

RV Roamer said:
Hot dang! Triple E came through for you!  :D

Anyway, that's about what I guesstimated so you are going to have to be really cautious and try to stay well under the trailer's GVWR. And that dry hitch weight will up quickly as you load gear onboard, so you better figure 450-500 lbs. That's weight distributing hitch territory for that size tow vehicle.

You really need a more capable tow vehicle, especially if there will be mountains in your itinerary. Hauling that trailer will be asking a lot of the Jimmy even when it was new, and it's a long way from new now. Probably got a bunch of miles on the clock too.

The 1999 numbers in Trailer Life's tables are Blazer/Jimmy 4.3 V-6 tow rating  5,500 lbs with automatic and trailer towing package.   That is a model 6 years down the road from a '93 and a rating for when brand new.    3600 may be do-able but I would definintely want to have the brakes inspected and service on both truck and trailer before going anywhere.  Have the truck's cooling system services and checked.   Futhermore, I would do a lot of running around on the flats to get an idea of its performance before I tackled even eastern US hills and mountains.  Stay out of the mountain or Pacific West.   Watch for overheating and lugging on acceleration.  

the mountains are to far for me to travel this year so its short trips 100 kms from home and less all on flat roads thanks guy for all the info also I installed a bigger tranny cooler and will be pressure washing the rad before we go anywhere........

saskman said:
the mountains are to far for me to travel this year so its short trips 100 kms from home and less all on flat roads thanks guy for all the info also I installed a bigger tranny cooler and will be pressure washing the rad before we go anywhere........

If you are not absolutly sure that you are within your weight limits is it worth risking the safety of yourself and anybody with you by driving an over weight vehicle combination?

I feel its good, I am just seeing if I am right...... I have seen both yes it should be okay and no so I dont know.

so is my Jimmy ok to tow this trailer on short trips? it will be on the flat with no hills........ this is all I want to know.

saskman said:
so is my Jimmy ok to tow this trailer on short trips? it will be on the flat with no hills........ this is all I want to know.

We really don't know.  You have an old truck -- shoot the darn thing is almost old enough to get its own drivers license.    That said, I will stick by what I said in my reply to Gary.  The modest weight of your trailer should shade you in.  Get truck and trailer brakes serviced.  Get the tranny and cooling serviced.  Keep the speed down to 55.

And don't you DARE go near those Rockies.  :mad:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom