Onan generator oil change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fcranger

I think Onan recomends to change the oil in the generator after the first 20 hours of use.
I have not used it very much since I bought it, I have almost 20 hours on it. most of it half hour run times a month to exercise it. haven't had to use it steady since all the campgrounds had electric hookups.
How much of a job is it to change the oil myself? I take the motorhome to Oil Can Henry's for oil changes and they use Mobil 1 synthetic in the engine, is it okay to use the same thing in the generator? its a Onan Microquiet 4000  ???

If the Genset is over a year old then the oil and filter needs to be changed.  Mobil 1 is probably better to use than Dino oil.  The genset is designed to be used not set idle.  Lack of use causes more problems then frequent use.  You might say USE IT OR LOOSE IT or pay the increased maintenance/repair costs.

I don't have much choice Ron since most campsites don't want you to use your generator if they have electric hookups. and to run it sitting by my house for hours will have my neighbors P***** off at me, even though it quiet but not that quiet, so I have no choice.  :'(

Frank:

IIRC Onan reccomends running the generator under a load for 2 hours once every thirty days. That shouldn't upset anyone if you do it during the middle of the day should it?

Frank,

Do you have the genset in a motorhome?  If so, use it while driving down the road.  We use ours to run the roof air when it's hot, not to mention heating stuff in the microwave.  I guess if it's in a trailer that won't work.  Onan recommends using it with a load, hence using the A/C.

ArdraF

Jeff:
sometimes I run it for and hour, twice a month but I always put the  AC on that puts a good load on it. I don't think my neighbors works nights, like I do,  but I think if I run it in the afternoon I won't get any complaints.?    ;D

Frank,

Well, how 'bout that!  So you run it a little more than you think you do.  ;)  In this case, that's good.  The more the better and try for a minimum of an hour at a time.

ArdraF

That's the reason I need to get the oil changed in it
I only have 4000 miles on the motorhome  don't get to go as much as I would like to
have to work can only go on the weekends and not very far. can't wait for the day I can retire.
and go more often. did'nt hit the lottery so I have to work. :(

Frank, the Onan instructions are pretty specific about running the gen 2 hours at a time,not shorter periods that accumulate the two hours.

I know I should run it more often. but got to get the oil changed first.
how about people that live in the northern states that their motorhome sits from nov. till march or april. in storage. I guess there sol. :)

Actually when we lived in Montreal and our Bounder was stored in Vermont we made a point of starting the Genset each month and running it with what ever loads we could including space heaters for a couple hours during the winter months.  When we bought the MH the genset had very low hours on it and needed to be worked on before it would run properly.  The dealer got it running correctly and then I read the Onan recommendations which I doubt were complied with by the previous owner which resulted in the problems it had.  We never had another problem with a genset.  Lucky for us Pete's RV in Burlington VT was an honest dealer and got the Genset operating properly at no coast to us.

Fcranger said:
...How much of a job is it to change the oil myself? I take the motorhome to Oil Can Henry's for oil changes and they use Mobil 1 synthetic in the engine, is it okay to use the same thing in the generator? its a Onan Microquiet 4000   ???

I've got that model and I changed mine a couple of weeks ago.  It's easy as long as the RV manufacturer didn't install it with a brace blocking the drain hole.  The manual instructions say it all...  [my comments in brackets]

1. Run the engine until warm, stop it and remove the oil fill cap.

2. Remove the oil drain hole cover in the base [2 screws], place a pan underneath and unscrew the drain
plug [a hex-head bolt].  Let all oil drain from the engine and then secure the drain plug. Torque the
plug to 21 lbs-ft and secure the cover.

3. Refill with 1.6 quarts (1.5 liters) of oil. See ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATIONS  [table below].
Check the oil level and add or drain oil as necessary.

4. Screw the oil fill cap back on securely.

TABLE 1-1. OIL VISCOSITY VS. TEMPERATURE
EXPECTED AMBIENT
TEMPERATURES                                   SAE VISCOSITY GRADE
32? F (0? C) and higher --                      30
10? F to 100? F (−12? C to 38? C) --      15W-40
0? F to 80? F (−18? C to 27? C) --          10W-30 or 10W-40
−20? F to 50? F (−28? C to 10? C) --      5W-30

How often should the genset oil/filter be changed, with regular use?  I should probably change ours since I don't know the last time it was done.  Should it be changed with the engine oil, or is that too often?

Scotty,

IIRC our Onan manual says every 150 hours. Check your owners manual for the correct frequency for your generator.

scottydl said:
How often should the genset oil/filter be changed, with regular use?  I should probably change ours since I don't know the last time it was done.  Should it be changed with the engine oil, or is that too often?

The genst oil/filter should be changed  at least annually or at 50 some cases 150 hours of operating time.  Check you owners manual for frequency.

In our case we find we never reach the specified operating hours so the oil is changed annually at the same time we change to engine oil.  Again in our case we never reach the 15000 miles the manufacturer gives as frequency so the engine oil and filters are also changed annually.

Yep, sounds like annually will be the frequency for mine also, engine and genset.  The Ford owner's manual states I can go 7500 miles between engine oil changes (except in dusty conditions or heavy engine use) and I know I probably won't cover that in the average year.  Same goes for the genset, I'm sure I'll run it regularly in the summer but nothing close to 100+ hours.  Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom