In the Jeep 'club' Sort of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

recently bought a Jeep, the Grand Cherokee Limited, with a Hemi.  Total stock, but plan on doing some easy offered stuff, nothing real technical.  Afraid my money well is not that deep for the major upgrades.  What can I expect off-road?  How are they classified?  I see 1,2,3 etc.  I assume 1 being a regular road that is dirt.  What os the 3'boulders?  10's, 5's etc?

I may up the tire size when it is time for a change, I understand the issue of gearing and speedos. ut a stock GC will take what size? 

Got the base plate installed today, need to finish up wiring, which is just mounting and connecting the plug at this point. 

Welcome to the "club," Bill. Sorry I can't help much on answers, but those Grand Cherokees do pretty well off road, certainly up to doing Terry and Frank's usual at Q. They're wider and longer, of course, than the Wranglers, so there may be a few snug spots. Of course a lot depends on the options, too, such as optional suspensions. Other than the larger size, they'll do just about as well as my stock Wrangler (it's not a Rubicon).

You have to also except a few Arizona pinstripes from time to times,, I have a Jeep Liberty, the last year made.. It's my wife's daily driver and the "pinstripes" are not acceptable >>>Dan

We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I prefer minimal scratches. I know I will get some, but I still cringe when a rock brushes by. We have the Trailhawk version so it has adjustable height with airbags, and we have put all-terrain tires on it instead of the all-weather tires it came with, but it isn?t a heavy duty 4 wheeler by anyone?s view.. We really don?t have the skills for heavy duty 4 wheeling, but we enjoy scenic drives on what we call ?two tracks? - primitive class I roads that need ground clearance. I used to routinely run this type of road in my Subaru, so we sometimes call them ?Subie roads.?.

You  should be able to take it on 75-80% of the trail rides that most people do. Just don't try the serious rock climbing that the crazy Jeep folks do. When you get to Benson next month, I'll take you on a couple of challenging trails that you can easily do.

Speaking of pinstripes, I pinstriped mine, came out nice.  So, what size tires will a stock GC take? 

Jerry and Ardra have a Grand Cherokee and take it off road.  As I recall, when we were with them, on a very memorable ride, their's was all stock. 

Back
Top Bottom