I'm out West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ankhatum

Hey guys/ Gals.

I left Kentucky on Friday and I"m currently in Sundance, Wyoming at a campground.  I'm hitting Devil's tower tomorrow.

After hunting and hunting I finally picked up a TT. 97 prowler, 24 feet.  Love it. Nice size.

Has some things that could probably use some fixing up, but its doing us well.  I'm shivering right now from the AC.  I had a couple of release valves on hot/cold water system that were busted, fixed those.

It didn't have a crank jack for the stab jacks.  I'm using something homemade. LOL Anyone have one for sale?  Camping World didn't have one.

I dont' have an anti-sway system, but i have had zero trouble with sway.  probably because my vehicle is as big as the TT.  I looked at  them at TSC.  Didn't seem to be what I was needing. IF anyone has one for sale out here, let me know.

I have a daily blog of where we are going and where we been etc.. its at http:\\cherokeewhiteman.blogspot.com

I am toting some FREE samples of our new BBQ sauce.  If you see me, say hey and I'll give youa  bottle. ITs goooood stuff!

I am going to Yellowstone via worland and Cody. (16).  Hope to see some of you on the road.

I'm then going from Yellowstone down to Colorado ( estes park)  Which way would you go?  I have never seen the Dinosaur National Monument, I think I'll stop there too.

I'll check the forum and my online blog as I have access.

Later everyone and thanks for those that helped me with tips in gettings this TT.

If your going to be in Cody be sure to stop by the Buffalo Bill Museum.  Also a great scenic trip to take while leaving your TT in a campground is to drive North out of Cody to the Chief Joseph Highway to Beartooth Highway then on over to Redlodge Mt have lunch then back track back to Cody.  IMHO there is more scenic quality on this route than in Yellowstone and not near the crowds.  This is not a route to take an RV over.

If you get by Lewistown MT stop by Sam's Camp.  I will give you directions if you decide to stop by.

Thanks for the tips on the beartooth.  We will be in Cody tomorrow. Not sure what time.  I love having the TT behind me. I can go slow, take it easy and have fun!

When I was in a car, seeking and searching for hotel rooms I was flying. Missing 1/2 the stuff I've seen already while going slower with my TT behind me, with the thought always in my mind that no matter what I have a bed to sleep in.

Just to make sure the route IU mentioned while very scenic is not a route you would want to attempt to pull your trailer over.  Have fun.

Instread of a crank for your stab jacks many people use a cordless drill with an adapter that will fit the crank arm. Saves a lot of work.

It didn't have a crank jack for the stab jacks.  I'm using something homemade. LOL Anyone have one for sale?  Camping World didn't have one.

Why?   You are not, or at least should not, using stabilizing jacks to lift or level the trailer.   Bring it the jacks down to the ground and one turn beyond to cinch them up.   Leveling is done with blocks under the wheels.   An ordinary automotive speeder wrench with the proper socket size will do nicely.

I dont' have an anti-sway system, but i have had zero trouble with sway.  probably because my vehicle is as big as the TT.  I looked at  them at TSC.  Didn't seem to be what I was needing. IF anyone has one for sale out here, let me know.

Uncontrolled yaw, sway is an emergency condition.  When it happens you are in trouble.  Anti-sway systems either prevent the condition from starting or control it if it does.

Do you have a weight distributing hitch with spring bars?  What brand?

No i'm not using the stabilizing jacks to lift the trailer.  So far all the sites have been close to level.  Near 0 on the bubble.  Haven't had any trouble.

As far as anti-sway and WD hitch, I don't have a setup like that.  OF course i like I said, I havent' experienced much sway or anything.  The only close call we had was in Louisville, ky (go figure).  Someone stopped directly in front of us and I had to really get on the brakes.  With the Tow/Haul on, on the Ford, and the electric brake system, it just stopped like it was supposed to.

I would love to get a sway system / wd hitch, but I thought I could surely find someone with one for sale, instead of getting the one at TSC and it didn't appear to be what I need.

My F250 sets up High and I need to be able to adjust it.  The one that I was going to use when I left KY wasn't adjustable and set the tounge of the trailer way to high, so I just took it off.

ankhatum said:
As far as anti-sway and WD hitch, I don't have a setup like that.  OF course i like I said, I havent' experienced much sway or anything.  The only close call we had was in Louisville, ky (go figure).  Someone stopped directly in front of us and I had to really get on the brakes.  With the Tow/Haul on, on the Ford, and the electric brake system, it just stopped like it was supposed to.

I would love to get a sway system / wd hitch, but I thought I could surely find someone with one for sale, instead of getting the one at TSC and it didn't appear to be what I need.

My F250 sets up High and I need to be able to adjust it.  The one that I was going to use when I left KY wasn't adjustable and set the tounge of the trailer way to high, so I just took it off.

The adjustment for height is in the hitch shank of which examples are shown HERE in Reese Products' website.
They are cheap enough.  If you note my rig, my tow vehicle is a full sized Bronco, a high clearance off-road capable 4wd.  I use such a hitch shank myself.   Any good trailer shop can order the thing and install it quickly.

You are borrowing time running with no weight distribution nor sway control.   You are vulerable to manuevering problems and loss of control in cross winds, passing truck or bus shockwaves , and general oversteer issues.  You lower the rating of your receiver abouty 40% by running on a weight bearing vs. weight distributing mode.   See HERE.

ankhatum said:
Hey guys/ Gals.

I left Kentucky on Friday and I"m currently in Sundance, Wyoming at a campground.  I'm hitting Devil's tower tomorrow.

I bet that hurts.

Sorry.  I couldn't resist.  ;D

ehheheh. Devils Tower was Hot but didn't hurt bad.

I'm now in Estes Park.  You can check the progress at http:\\cherokeewhiteman.blogspot.com

Note to everyone.  Mary's Campground in estes park is terrible.  Unfriendly, crowded, uneven roads, etc.  Its crap!

When I got here they of course guided me to the spot I was in and then the guy proceeds to tell me how to back into it.  And he's in my rear view trying to tell me which way to turn, how far, etc.

Finally I got out and said, look. If you'll shut up I can park this thing.  So I did!  Its a place to stay, that's about it.

I'm going to take a photo of how close they are sticking everyone.  Its ridiculous. Literally. the hood of my vehicle was 2 inches from the sleeping quarters of the neighbors pop up camper.

Sad!

ankhatum said:
Note to everyone.  Mary's Campground in estes park is terrible.  Unfriendly, crowded, uneven roads, etc.  Its crap!
I'm going to take a photo of how close they are sticking everyone.  Its ridiculous. Literally. the hood of my vehicle was 2 inches from the sleeping quarters of the neighbors pop up camper.
Sad!

That's about what the reviews here said.  Sounds like Elk Meadow Lodge & RV Park would be a better choice.

Wow,  I didn't know there was a review section like that.  Shows how new I am.  All of the reviews are about the same, this place is just a disaster.  I saw the $2.00 charge extra for running the AC.. HA HA.. If I want to run it, I will.

The neighbors seem nice, but let me tell you, you can hear everything.

I guess i need to add my review to that site.

ankhatum said:
...I guess i need to add my review to that site.

I try to encourage as many folks as I can to do that.  I've gotten a lot of good help from that website.

There is also an RVServiceReviews web site, but I don't have any experience with it.

I just read your blog.  Wow, you did a fantastic job.  Very informational, the pictures are great, and the writing is interesting.  I'll be interested in reading about the budget once you get that done.

Hey, thanks for the compliments on the photos. I have a couple of more to put on there.  The trip is finished.  I'm at my mom's house/property.  I'm installing a 30 amp plug and water hookup tomorrow to the far end of their property.  It already has a septic tank ready for the sewer hookup.

So I'm going to park the camper there for this summer. :)  I plan on using it a lot until it gets to cold too.

After lots of campgrounds and about 5000 miles or so I have learned a lot. I also think I want a Fifth Wheel :).  I at first wanted an A class, but after seeing all the nice 5th wheels i've changed my mind.

I will post the budget soon. It breaks down everything.. And... I can tell you that its right at 1000.00 a person.  :)  Exciting huh :)

Your welcome.  The budget is up and we were about 30.00 over each. Not bad for all we saw.

I'm hooked on Rving!

I read through all your blog -- good job!

How much of your $2,056 was fuel cost?  [I don't want to add up every item if you've already done that.  :) ]

How many miles total?  5,000?

Hey I just learned from a friend that some of his family were also out west for two weeks.  Basically they did the same trip, but with no TT and they spent $10,000.00.

Hmmm. I think I'll take my budget over that anyday.

Back
Top Bottom