Glacier NP to Theodore Roosevelt NP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
What is the best route going from Glacier NP in Montana (west side) to Theodore Roosevelt NP (Medora)?

We would also appreciate any campground recommendations that would be on that route.

Thanks much!

Not sure of a best route, kind of depends on what you want to see and the type of roads.  US 2 is an OK route mostly 2 lane roads.  Great falls is a nice stopping place as there is much to see as stated elsewhere lately.  South to Missoula  will get you to interstate 90 and you have a choice of Butte and its sights as it is an old mining town, and on to Bozeman and the museum there or go on US 12 to Helena and the sights there,  !2 is a 2 lane over a mountain pass but is good road or was the last time I was on it.  There is a steep descent into Helena.

I should also add there is a steetp ascent out of Butte and  fairly winding steep descent on the other side of the pass there  but it is interstate. speed limit is 25 for large rigs going down hill.  There are 3 additional steep passes or hills between Butte and Billings.  In Billings you will change to I 94 through eastern MT and ND. the MT state Park in the badlands at Glendive is a goo one it a bit rustic.

Take your choice and let us know as I used to drive to MN on I94 often.

We are doing that route in reverse, and we are planning on taking highway 2 across Montana then 85 south to the park, not far into North Dakota. While I love the places Jim described, it is a long way down to southern Montana then back north to TR.

UTT Transplant, any suggestions for CGs along your reverse route?  We are learning our lesson to reserve ahead.  It's not like it was a few years ago!

In Medora we are staying at the Medora Campground for the play and the pitchfork fondue supper. We don?t have anything reserved past Missoula where we are staying at Jim and Mary?s, a great place, for Labor Day weekend. It is a lot easier traveling after Labor Day, so we are winging it some. We usually do look for spots a couple of days in advance, just in case we find something interesting (or uninteresting) and want to stay longer (or shorter) than we initially thought.

US 2 is a great route. Check out the big railroad yard and lodge on the south of Glacier Ntnl Park. There is a nice campground and a buffalo jump site in Havre. Continue on US 2 to Wolf Point or Sidney and then cut south to Glendive and pick up I-94.

Back
Top Bottom