2003 Bigfoot overhead camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfoothauler

I have a bigfoot overhead camper that has a Dometic RM2652.  it has leaked the ammonia out and the unit will need rebuilt or replaced.  I removed the refridge from the camper opening.  And it is to big to go through the door way.  I measured it and believe even if I removed the door and frame.  It still may be to wide too fit through.  Anyone with one of these Bigfoot campers have any experience removing the refrigerator?

1st, welcome to the forum.
Did you remove the door off the fridge? 
If you decide to rebuild your fridge, do it right there on the RV floor.

The camper fits on a short box truck.  Theres enough room for one person to walk in the camper and not room for much else. 

I took the doors off and hinges.  I measure it once  I got it out of the space.  It seems to me even if I removed the door and frame of the camper , there still won't be enough clearance to get the unit out.  I am wondering how they got it in there in the first place.  And as far as rebuilding it in the camper.  That will be extremely tight. 

There is a appliance place here in my town that rebuilds them for $600.  But I have to take it out and take it to them.  I may just need to seek professional help in this.  If this was my fifth wheel camper, it already be done.  What I need to know has anyone on this forum removed one on a old 2003 bigfoot camper?  And can tell me how they got it out?  Without destroying it?

I had a mobile camper repair guy come over today and gave me some insight on it.  Seems If I remove the door and frame off the camper.  There will  be about a 1/4 inch to spare. 
guess I'll give it another try sometime this week. 

We have this same problem.  We just discovered the problem on Friday, the 2nd and were planning a long trip starting August 12th.  We have a 2005 2 piece fibreglass Bigfoot Camper 2500 with a Dometic RM2663 fridge.  We are also wondering whether we can get the fridge out the doorway.    We understand that we have 2 options - either a replacement fridge or a replacement cooling unit.  Both options require the fridge to be removed.  Our measurements also show that it MAY be possible to get the replacement in but just barely. 

I would be interested to hear more from you when you do remove your door.  I would also very much appreciate any input from others who have faced a similar challenge.  I have tried to contact the Bigfoot manufacturer in Armstrong BC but they are closed this week.

Any advice would be much appreciated.  We are likely going to leave this repair until we return from out trip. 

Good luck and hope to hear from you.

Well the Fridge is out and at the repair shop.  I removed the door and frame from the camper.  Plus you need to remove the door and hinges from the fridge.  On my camper I also removed the front door wall switch and mirror.    We had about 1/2 " clearance between the fridge and camper doorway.  It came out a lot easier then I originally thought it would. 

It went in easily, the cabinets and appliances were installed before the walls.  ;D Unfortunately, ease of maintenance was not factored into the design.

For future reference for others who may stumble into this thread, my understanding is that it will fit thru the door nicely if you remove the cooling unit from the rear (and the fridge doors), a fairly simple job on a Norcold and I assume on a Dometic also. Many people just replace the cooling unit anyhow, so no need to get the unit outside of the rig.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom