rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Need 5th Wheel Hitch Recommendations  (Read 3770 times)

Texdan25

• ---
Re: Need 5th Wheel Hitch Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2019, 07:37:07 AM »
No it is not. How new is your RV. Newer ones in the last 10 years or so, have rounded front corners. If the hitch is set up so that the kingpin is directly over the truck axle, you should be able to make a 90 degree turn without it hitting the cab. I did say "should".
I don't have one yet, currently shopping and trying to decide if we want to change to a fiver vs our current bumper pull (Jayco 27DSRL).  I thought folks are saying the hitch should be in front of the rear axle?

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2019, 12:11:09 PM »
I don't have one yet, currently shopping and trying to decide if we want to change to a fiver vs our current bumper pull (Jayco 27DSRL).  I thought folks are saying the hitch should be in front of the rear axle?

Typically on a long bed truck it would be FWD just a bit. On a 6 1/2' bed, if you put it FWD of the axle you are likely going to hit the cab on a sharp turn. So, when they set up mine, It was right over the axle. I have a slider hitch and have never had to use it.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Texdan25

• ---
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2019, 02:24:59 PM »
Typically on a long bed truck it would be FWD just a bit. On a 6 1/2' bed, if you put it FWD of the axle you are likely going to hit the cab on a sharp turn. So, when they set up mine, It was right over the axle. I have a slider hitch and have never had to use it.
Makes sense, good to know.  Thanks.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2019, 02:36:18 PM »
Makes sense, good to know.  Thanks.

You do not want the king pin behind the axle because it will take weight off the front wheels and your headlights will be shooting up annoying all oncoming traffic.
AKA  Pep N Mem

meternerd

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2019, 09:06:09 PM »
Thanks dadnjesse, wonder who else has had problems with Curt hitches?

I have a Curt Q24 hitch, long bed GMC 3500HD crew cab diesel and a Montana 3402 fifth wheel.  GVWR of trailer is 16K, and I have never had problems with the hitch. The only thing I found is that the lever is hard to pull if you are not level, but having dear wife rocking the truck while you pull makes it easier.  I found that pulling the pin while the full weight is on the hitch also makes it easier, but you have to remember to chock the wheels of the trailer before you pull the lever or it can roll away.  Scary...... I just lower the front legs until the bed just starts to rise, then pull the lever.  Hitching is just the opposite.  Keep the pin below the plate so the trailer rides up onto the hitch and the lever snaps into place smoothly.  I've had mine for 5 years with no problems and the ride is completely silent.  But this is the only hitch I've used, so maybe others are easier.  Just got back from a drive from northern Idaho to Alaska.  No problems at all except that the border closes at midnight and I got there three minutes before....they were not happy, but they let us through.  We'd been driving for 20 hours so we could get home without spending another night.  Answer to prayer!

Lynx0849

• ---
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2019, 02:22:46 PM »
I follow these threads as I will be looking at a hitch in a little over a year.
I am unclear on a detail of the AUH. I understand that the hitch anchors to the truck via the gooseneck ball which is somehow anchored to the frame or at least a structure beneath the pickup bed. I am not clear on how the 4 legs are anchored or supported? Is there some adjustment in the feet to remove any wiggle? How does it not dent the bed via the tremendous forces on the front & rear pair of legs due to starting a stopping forces?

Thanks

Does the B&W Companion improve on it at all?

My truck has the hole for the gooseneck ball and the 4 pucks.
Rob & Deryl, Nettle, Tigger & Mai
Clyde, a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummins Longhorn SRW w/ARE cap
14í V nose utility trailer as mini toy hauler (for now)
N1ICB (Nursing 1 Ice Cold Beer)

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »
The gooseneck ball assembly mounts to the frame under the bed. As you noted, then the AUH then clamps on to the ball pulling it down to the bed floor. The AUH is a self-supporting pyramid with a square base - not just "legs". The 4 "pucks" are not used with this hitch, only the ball. I have read about bed deformity but have not experienced it myself or seen it first hand.

The B&W (and others) also mounts to a gooseneck but it has a shaft that slides down into the gooseneck frame which is then locked in place. It does not actually use a ball in any way.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Texdan25

• ---
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2019, 04:21:20 PM »
So what price ranges are the various choices, are the AUH's more expensive?  And what's everyone's thoughts on where to buy/have installed and typical cost of installation?  Thanks, us fiver 'newbies' have lots of questions!

ip076

• ---
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2019, 04:52:30 PM »
If you go with the Anderson, you don't need to have it installed. You will just need to have a gooseneck turnover ball installed. The Andersen hitch itself installs in about 5 minutes.

I haven't had any of the bed deformity issues mentioned either.  I've towed over 20,000 miles in the last two years.  I also have the hitch in a 6 1/2' box GM and can make 90-degree turns without contact...but I've never had to get to that point. 

The only issue I have had is the red plastic ring on the king pin adapter has broke twice, easily replaced.  One time for free by Anderson, and the other time an RV shop broke it and they replaced it.  I'm not quite sure what causes it to break.  I think it might be when the vehicle moves as you're raising the 5er off the ball, so I've started making sure I chock the wheels of the 5er and set the brake on the truck. 
2017 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax - Crew Cab, 6.5' bed, SRW
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

Texdan25

• ---
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2019, 04:58:41 PM »
If you go with the Anderson, you don't need to have it installed. You will just need to have a gooseneck turnover ball installed. The Andersen hitch itself installs in about 5 minutes.

I haven't had any of the bed deformity issues mentioned either.  I've towed over 20,000 miles in the last two years.  I also have the hitch in a 6 1/2' box GM and can make 90-degree turns without contact...but I've never had to get to that point. 

The only issue I have had is the red plastic ring on the king pin adapter has broke twice, easily replaced.  One time for free by Anderson, and the other time an RV shop broke it and they replaced it.  I'm not quite sure what causes it to break.  I think it might be when the vehicle moves as you're raising the 5er off the ball, so I've started making sure I chock the wheels of the 5er and set the brake on the truck.
Is the Anderson/goose ball combo a lot more expensive than just getting a slider of some sort?  And who even installs hitches, do you have to go to a dealer?  Thanks.

ip076

• ---
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2019, 05:10:52 PM »
A dealer would probably install it.  Or an RV place.  Where I lived we had a store that specialized in truck accessories.  I had them install the Curt Gooseneck turnover ball, around $400 installed.  I also had them do a spray in bed liner.  Then I installed the Anderson hitch myself (and install/remove) frequently.  I think the Anderson unit is around $700. 

For me, returning the bed to near normal without any rails was important.  This was the solution I decided on to meet that goal.  Maybe it's not for everyone, but I like it. 

Texdan25

• ---
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2019, 05:59:31 PM »
A dealer would probably install it.  Or an RV place.  Where I lived we had a store that specialized in truck accessories.  I had them install the Curt Gooseneck turnover ball, around $400 installed.  I also had them do a spray in bed liner.  Then I installed the Anderson hitch myself (and install/remove) frequently.  I think the Anderson unit is around $700. 

For me, returning the bed to near normal without any rails was important.  This was the solution I decided on to meet that goal.  Maybe it's not for everyone, but I like it.
So you have this setup in a 6-1/2 bed right?  Chevy Silverado by chance?  Whereabouts is it installed in the bed, in front of or on top of rear axle?  And I assume then come in different weight ratings, we're figuring a fiver with max GVWR of 12k or so.  Thanks.

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2019, 06:18:44 PM »
For the AUH, the on line price is dictated by Andersen as the lowest allowed advertised price.  Sellers can and do sell for less, but can not advertise that price.

The center shaft of the hitch fits over the goose ball, and a pin is inserted below the ball.  The center shaft is then raised with a bolt to "pull" the entire unit down tight against the bed.  The goose ball holds everything in place.  Torque to 50 lb-ft per the instructions, and the bed will not be damaged.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Senator

• ---
    • No NonsenseLandlord
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2019, 09:10:55 PM »
I have the Andersen as well.  Keep in mind, that every pound the hitch weighs, is a pound that you have to give up on the trailer pin weight.
2015 Keystone Alpine 3536RE
2017 Ford F350 Platinum, SRW, CCLB

Texdan25

• ---
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2019, 09:18:11 PM »
I have the Andersen as well.  Keep in mind, that every pound the hitch weighs, is a pound that you have to give up on the trailer pin weight.
You are talking payload reduction right?

ip076

• ---
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2019, 04:50:16 PM »
So you have this setup in a 6-1/2 bed right?  Chevy Silverado by chance?  Whereabouts is it installed in the bed, in front of or on top of rear axle?  And I assume then come in different weight ratings, we're figuring a fiver with max GVWR of 12k or so.  Thanks.

Correct, 2017 Silverado with a 6 1/2' bed.  I'm on the road for work and don't have a picture, but I believe the ball for the gooseneck is centered over the rear axle. 

I'm not sure if they have different weight ratings, I think they only have one that's pretty stout...I can't remember the exact weight rating. 

Texdan25

• ---
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2019, 06:23:08 PM »
OK, thanks ip076.  I have a 2013 Chevy 2500HD with 6-1/2 bed.

Velociraptor

• ---
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2019, 10:20:43 PM »
We just put a B&W Turnover Ball in FILs 2013 Chevy 2500. Only difference from yours is is that itís a long bed. From what I recall the ball ended up so close over rear axle from an eyeball perspective it was perfectly centered. For anybody even modestly handy it was easy to install.

Our only screw up....which cost us a pile of time was we didnt chase the paint out of the threads (like the instructions said lol. 🤦🏼‍♂️ ) Wasted a lot of time pulling the hitch frame back out, cleaning them up, and reinstalling.

Texdan25

• ---
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2019, 08:32:50 AM »
We just put a B&W Turnover Ball in FILs 2013 Chevy 2500. Only difference from yours is is that itís a long bed. From what I recall the ball ended up so close over rear axle from an eyeball perspective it was perfectly centered. For anybody even modestly handy it was easy to install.

Our only screw up....which cost us a pile of time was we didnt chase the paint out of the threads (like the instructions said lol. 🤦🏼‍♂️ ) Wasted a lot of time pulling the hitch frame back out, cleaning them up, and reinstalling.
What is 'chase the paint'?

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2019, 09:10:30 AM »
What is 'chase the paint'?

It comes from the term in a machinist world "chase the threads" which means to run a tap or a die nut over the threads to clean up any burrs or foreign stuff so the threads don't gall/seize when tightening.
AKA  Pep N Mem

Velociraptor

• ---
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2019, 01:53:59 PM »
What Rene said. The structural componets of the B&W Turnover Ball Mount are very well powder coated. We ran the bolts in on a couple before mounting initially with no issue so we skipped running a tap in all them as suggested (it didnít help I didnt have that size tap with me which would mean trip to store lol). We got it all installed except the last couple bolts and then the paint galled them up. They just happened to be located in a position where it was impossible to work the tap effectively so we had to take it all back apart to clean them up before reinstalling.  Those shortcuts will get you.......😂😂😂😂😂😂

Velociraptor

• ---
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2019, 08:19:38 PM »
Amendment to previous. I was driving FILs 2013 2500 long bed today and thought to glance at the exact hitch position. The B&W Turnover Ball is setting about 4 to 6 inches in front of the rear axle. Since I was under the truck during install it look centered to me.  Today was the 1st time I looked at it from the side.