1987 Country Coach 38' Pusher Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Howdy Campers,

As promised, I am going to be keeping a build thread on this restoration.  Many of you asked that I get some good before pictures.  Not only do I have pictures, but I also have a video.  I am working on getting it all put together but here is a taste of the madness I have signed up for...

I will post more once I get it all uploaded. 

I am happy to be a spoiler and report that after changing out the two huge 4D starting batteries the engine started almost immediately.  I am now chasing coolant leaks.  The mice/squirrels seem to like the hoses on this coach.  Cut out and spliced in two repair sections so far.  Know of one more needed, but that bugger is right on top of the side-mounted radiator and appears to be a nightmare to reach.  I hope to get that repaired before the week is out.  Once it holds fluids without spraying them everywhere, I will move onto the leveling system, lights, and brakes.  I would like to see this coach moving under its own power by the end of the month.

*** I am still trying to learn this site, so any help on posting pics would be appreciated.

Sounds like a great project.

Good news on the engine starting right up.

Do you have the original set of manuals?  They should be in two three ring binders.  One for the chassis and one for the coach.  They are probably in a box with a folding lid.

My Country Coach is a little newer, 2006, but many of the systems should be similar.  There are several others on this Forum with CC coaches also.

Feel free to PM me with questions and I will give you my phone number back in PM.

For me the best way to post pictures is to use Paint from windows to reduce the picture to 25% of its normal size which usually is smaller than 350K and then save it. I usually put an "r" in front of the name to let me know that it is reduced.  Then just use the tool below your entry screen to attach it to the post.

Posting reduced size pictures help members that are careful about their data limits.  Photobucket uses lots of data when downloading.

Here are your pictures.  They were already reduced in Photoshop.

Attachments

• IMG_20190803_112048502_zpsdf8eekyx.jpg
    IMG_20190803_112048502_zpsdf8eekyx.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20190803_112059763_zpsfurrhxd0.jpg
    IMG_20190803_112059763_zpsfurrhxd0.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20190803_112143982_zps24ly1eah.jpg
    IMG_20190803_112143982_zps24ly1eah.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20190803_112213041_zps0thpsnad.jpg
    IMG_20190803_112213041_zps0thpsnad.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20190803_114133946_zpslyeixqiq.jpg
    IMG_20190803_114133946_zpslyeixqiq.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 39
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the help!  I will shoot you a PM another day.  I hope to work on the couch tonight for a bit.  Have even roped the daughter into helping some.  Teenagers...  ;D 

I think I have a short in the fuel gauge wiring because when I turn the key on the fuel gauge goes from resting to pegged below E.  The previous owners thinks it had around a quarter tank when parked, but he isn't certain.  I have added 10 gallons to the tank, so I know it isn't bone dry.  The manual states that it holds 150 gallons.  I'm going to dip the tank and see how deep the fuel is, then measure the height of the tank and make an educated guess on the amount actually there.

This is all being done for two reasons.  First off, I don't want to run dry on fuel while testing systems and create a new problem.  Secondly, since the fuel gauge reads empty the generator won't start because it thinks there is no fuel.  Not a high item on my priority list, but the curiosity is killing me...  ;)

Hopefully, I will wrap up the coolant leaks tonight.  Wish me luck!!

As mentioned the pickup for the generator is raised up enough to insure that you are not left stranded if you were to run the generator so much that you would use up all the fuel.

A relatively easy way to check the generator is to disconnect the fuel line near the rear of the generator and place an extension of that line in a portable fuel container.  I am also sure that the fuel gauge has nothing to do with not starting the genny.

HueyPilotVN said:
As mentioned the pickup for the generator is raised up enough to ensure that you are not left stranded if you were to run the generator so much that you would use up all the fuel.

A relatively easy way to check the generator is to disconnect the fuel line near the rear of the generator and place an extension of that line in a portable fuel container.  I am also sure that the fuel gauge has nothing to do with not starting the genny.

Normally I would agree, but there is something I have never seen before on this coach.  When you turn on the key a light on the generator control panel comes on stating low fuel level.  The generator doesn't even try to turn over.  Nothing happens at all when you try to start it.  Upon reading the owners manual it states that there is a switch that prevents the generator from running once low fuel level is detected.  I assume this was measured off the fuel gauge, but I guess there could be a second sending unit as well.  Not sure what the answer is.  Going to try and bypass this system for the sake of testing.  I have put 15 gallons of fresh diesel in the tank so far.  I have been taking 5 gallons at a time to ensure there is some in the tank for this very reason.

Back
Top Bottom