Towing a Rockwood 2604ws in mountains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig2604ws

Can a 1/2 Ton diesel 6 cylinder truck safely pull a Rockwood 2604ws in mountains and still have power?

Thinking of getting one but don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks in advance for the time and attention I hope y'all will give me.

The Rockwood 2604ws has gross weight (GVWR) of 8782 lbs and is almost 30 feet long. That is too heavy and too long for a 1/2 ton pickup. The biggest problem is the maximum payload capacity of your truck is likely to be overloaded. Figure a minimum tongue weight of 10% of the GVWR which is 873 lbs. Plus 80 lbs for the weight distribution hitch and you've used up 953 lbs of the truck's maximum payload. Then add the weight of passengers and other stuff you'd carry in the truck. Check the maximum payload capacity of your pickup by checking the yellow and white sticker on the driver's door or post.

Best to get a shorter and lighter TT or a 3/4 ton pickup.

For more info check out this recent thread: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,122967.0/topicseen.html

Jkoht said:
*pulls out folding chair and bowl of popcorn*

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

craig2604ws said:
Can a 1/2 Ton diesel 6 cylinder truck safely pull a Rockwood 2604ws in mountains and still have power?

Thinking of getting one but don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks in advance for the time and attention I hope y'all will give me.

Simple answer, absolutely not.  F250 territory 100%, or a smaller trailer.

It really has little to do with mountains or not or diesel vs gas - it will get up & down the hills OK.  The question is whether the truck should be pulling that size trailer at all.  It's at the outer limits for most half-ton trucks, so we would need to get down to the specifics of a particular truck configuration to reach any conclusion.

A half ton pick-up typically can have conventional trailer tow ratings anywhere in the 7,000-12,000 lb range and cargo capacities up to around 1600 lbs.  The Ram advertises a 12,560 lb tow, but you cannot assume that every Ram 1500 diesel has that much capacity. It varies by cab style, bed length, trim options, etc. The Ford is similar, from what I read, and probably the Silverado too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom