DIY - tire replacing and wheel bearing repacking - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camper054

Hi all,

If you followed some of my recent posts, you know that I got a 2002 Cheyenne about two weeks ago and was worried about towing it back 450 miles as the previous owner did not change tires or repack the wheel bearings for at least six years he owned it!

Anyway, I made it back safely and there are some issues I need to fix and my priority are the tires and wheel bearings.  I called couple of places previously suggested by fellow experienced campers and most of them will not do both.  For example, most tire places (including Walmart) will only change the tires, but not repack wheel bearings.  The only place I found locally is an RV place who will do both.  Estimated price is close to $500 (including tire price)!  So, I decided to do it myself.  A set of (two) tires cost around $115 (Amazon 175/80D13 - yes, I could have bought the radial tires, but oh well, these are cheap -:)).  Even if I need a new set of wheel bearings, DIY cost will not exceed more than $150.  I have changed car tires, so not completely novice -:).

What I am worried is that in the cars, you have a specific place to put your jack, not sure where I should place the jack to lift the camper. Should I use one jack or two on both sides of the tire?  Besides, there are stabilizer jacks on the other side (as opposed to wheels) of the camper.  So, I am thinking there must be something I should do - like up the jacks from the floor/driveway a little so when one side is lifted up (even just a bit to pull the tire out), there is not much pressure on the stabilizers on the other side.

Lastly, the camper is sitting on a slope in my driveway - not a lot, but still you know that most of the driveways are inclined.  So, I have to account for that as well.

So, please let me know your thoughts, suggestions, advice and learnings if you have done this work.  A million thanks in advance to you all!

MC

It's a single axle trailer with leaf spring suspension, right? Probably something like 3000 lbs gross weight?  In my opinion, not a complex enough suspension to need any special care.  I'd put a floor jack under the spring at the point where the axle is bolted on. If using a bottle jack, add a wood or metal block to spread the load point a bit.  You only need to lift it a little to get the wheel off the ground.  You can jack at the ends of an axle - it's the same place that handles the stresses as the wheel moves up and down. Just don't jack toward the middle of the axle (it can bend).

Always chock the opposite wheel, whether the ground is level or inclined. 

Here is a previous topic on this subject:  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=67545.0

May I suggest, leaving the trailer attached to the vehicle, with the vehicle downhill from the trailer, parking brake on, wheels chocked.
Now you can be pretty certain that the trailer is not going anywhere.
Also chock the opposite side wheel, just to be sure.

This assumes you have another vehicle in case you need to run for other parts.

I would only do one side at a time since you are on a slope. Leave the other side on the ground for the parking brake and wheel chocks, so it doesn't move on you.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

I think I will have my trailer attached to my truck (per LarsMac) - a good suggestion - for extra protection.  This way, I do not have to have the stabilizers down (or up few inches from the ground).

Also, thanks to both Gary and cerd (Gary, as usual always provide some thoughts and suggestions to all my issues).

Happy camping you all!
MC

I forgot to mention that if you aren't used to packing your own bearings by hand, you can get a tool to do it. You put the bearing between 2 cones, tighten the nut, and use a grease gun on the fitting until fresh greased is forced through the bearing.

Something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002NYDYY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_0SatDbQM4B2Z4

cerd said:
I forgot to mention that if you aren't used to packing your own bearings by hand, you can get a tool to do it. You put the bearing between 2 cones, tighten the nut, and use a grease gun on the fitting until fresh greased is forced through the bearing.

Something like this.

I bought that exact one, does great.  Should have bought it years ago.  I was disappointed, the inside was filled with the machining aluminum bits, had I not taken apart and cleaned prior to first use, it could have trashed my bearings.

One other note, a website called https://www.etrailer.com/ is a great place to get trailer parts and accessories. 

cerd said:

Something like this.

Yes, so far, I watched 'many' youtube videos and saw this.  The whole repacking of wheel bearings is a 'new thing' to me.  So, I am a little skittish -:).  But I will give it a try as I consider myself a handyman...I have many things around the house - lay laminate floors for my entire first floor (about 1500 sqft), put backsplash in the kitchen, replaced dishwasher/garbage disposal, etc.  But didn't own a pop up camper before -:).

As for the tool, I am thinking I will just use my hand, push the wheel bearing through the grease.  Otherwise, I will have to buy a grease gun as well!  I am thinking I can do this once a year or once every two years - depending on how much I am able to camp...

Thanks so much for the suggestion - wishing you the best!
MC 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superskip
Back
Top Bottom