rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Grey water dumping without septic/sewer  (Read 995 times)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Grey water dumping without septic/sewer
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2019, 10:13:35 AM »
Watch what words you use when asking for rules and inspector advice. You already have a septic system; what you are asking about is ways to deliver some additional gray water to it.  That is a major difference from installing a new septic. Basically you are inquiring about adding another waste water source to an existing septic. The fact that it happens to be uphill is merely an engineering complication, not a health or building code difference.

The gray area (pun intended!) is that you are essentially adding a second home/apartment to the existing septic system and most places have strict rules on the size of the septic vs number of sinks & toilets that can dump to it. The inspector may not have much latitude on that. Further, while you are claiming you will only dump gray water, you are in fact making a plumbing connection that includes black water as well. Since the difference is only the pull of a valve handle, few inspectors could ignore that.

Once you speak to an official other than hypothetically, you are usually pretty much stuck with what you are told. It's hard to change your story after that.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 10:23:39 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2019, 10:15:20 AM »
Before going and alerting the town, I would speak to your plumber 1st.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

malexander

• ---
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2019, 01:19:19 PM »
If you're unsure of what you "really need", I'd talk to a plumber/septic installed FIRST.
I am a licensed plumber, electrician, HVAC contractor (master in some states). The problem with asking or talking to inspectors is, if they're not really sure about what you're wanting to do, they'll make up an answer to cover themselves. Then maybe even get nosey and start "keeping an eye on you".

I'm not advocating doing anything illegal, but I'd stat with a couple of plumbers first.
Marshall Alexander
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N DP, 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing, 2007 VTX 1300, Cessna 150 & 172, Van's RV9A.

Boonieman

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 04:23:07 PM »
 What Gary said is exactly right. Be careful what you say. When we were having our house built I told the septic installer I wanted to have a connection to dump our little blue portable potty tank into the septic from time to time. My thoughts were if we had extra company, they could stay in the fiver and I could just dump the the tow behind potty tank with a four wheeler and not have to take the camper somewhere to dump.
  The installer said ďI canít install anything like that, but I can install you a clean out, what you do with it is up to you.Ē He said septic sizing is based on many factors like number of bedrooms, whether or not you have a garbage disposal, etc etc. He said no environmental inspector in this county will approve anything that allows a random indeterminate waste stream into a septic system. As he said, a small tote dumped into a septic system realistically isnít going to hurt a thing, assuming your system is healthy. But, I guess through experience inspectors have seen the worst out of us and donít want to be liable.

2016 Chevrolet Dually/Duramax
2011 Fuzion 322
2016 Harley Trike
3 cherished dogs, Moo, Molly, Mia the one eyed pup 😊
Originally from South Dakota, currently reside in Kentucky

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • Matthew 6:34
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 09:30:42 AM »
Folks here might be hesitant to respond because of those issues.
Folks here are never hesitant to respond  ;D
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit