Waving my white flag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVMommaTo6

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
I'm towing a FWD Mazda CX 9. I was towing it in neutral until I read (on a thread on here) that I didn't have to do that, that I could just put the key in not turned all the way, that first click, and that unlocks the steering column. I did that. Now I went to take the car off the dolly, I pulled the key out while the kids got the straps off the tires, came back a minute later and something is wrong. The key won't turn in the ignition at all now, I've been searching Mazda forums online and talking to mechanics since 6 (2 hours) and all they can tell me is that it's my steering column is locked. Duh. The wheel doesn't budge, which usually unlocks that if the key doesn't turn. I'm still up on the dolly so I'm kinda stuck here. Idk what to do. Has this happened to anyone and if so, how did you fix it?

I'm in a parking lot. I can't leave here with the car because it won't start and I can't leave with the motorhome because I can't unlock the steering column to tow. So I'm literally stuck in a Costco parking lot.
I'm not much of a crier, but I would imagine it wouldn't take much right now.

It sounds like the front wheels are putting pressure against the steering lock so it can't slide and unlock when you try to turn the key.

Try having someone pull VERY hard on the steering wheel while you try to turn the key.  Hopefully one direction or the other will release the pressure on the lock and let the key turn.

Yahoo!!!  Next time leave the ignition unlocked until after the car is off the dolly.    :p  Maybe even make a duplicate key to leave in the ignition any time the car is on the dolly. 

I am a little confused, so just for clarity, if the car is still on the dolly, why not tie it down and drive off with the motor home?  I assume the car is a front wheel drive, so if the front wheels are locked or not, why would it matter. Pardon me if I am missing something.

SargeW said:
I am a little confused, so just for clarity, if the car is still on the dolly, why not tie it down and drive off with the motor home?  I assume the car is a front wheel drive, so if the front wheels are locked or not, why would it matter. Pardon me if I am missing something.

I think the key factor is the kids released the tow straps while the ignition was locked (key out) and this shifted the tires enough to put pressure on the steering column lock.

If it's a non-pivoting tow dolly the front wheels have to be free to turn as the angle between the dolly and car changes.

RVMommaTo6 said:
I'm not much of a crier, but I would imagine it wouldn't take much right now.

Be the egg and not the carrot

;D ;D Just thought you might need a reminder  ;D ;D

Wow Amanda. Your adventure is turning into a big learning experience. Hoping you don't have any more learning and can more fully enjoy the trip.  :))

Great,now that you have overcome that problem you have gained the wisdom to solve it again should it arise. An added plus is that if you should run across someone else in that situation you would be able to help. That's how I helped a couple in a ford van when their key was locked \, it had happened to me weeks earlier.  Just look at how much you have learned!!

SargeW said:
Thanks Lou, I know practically nothing about tow dollies, other than I wouldn't want one.  I am a confirmed 4 down tower.
I think I am too ?
I just keep telling myself, these are lessons, just lessons. I'll be an expert some day.

Gizmo100 said:
Be the egg and not the carrot

;D ;D Just thought you might need a reminder  ;D ;D
I just burst out laughing sooooooo hard lol, omg, that was EXACTLY what I needed! Lol

Trip and Will/Jane, part of me thinks of how blissful naive sounds!!! But I'll be thankful for every "lesson" that comes around and I'll certainly pass on as much as I can should anyone else need it.

Hang in there, Amanda.  You're doing great!  Will be following your blog for your whole trip.

My wife had that happen twice, in the driveway. She came back in the house telling me she couldn't turn the key. I went out and worked the steering wheel left and right and got the key to turn. This was our 2007 Saturn.

Like I said...you are going to be the "Go to" expert on this forum by the end of this trip.

I had a similar thing happen on a 70 Olds Cutlass. Couldn't believe how much pressure  had to put on the steering wheel.

Amanda, did you get a roadservice policy like Coachnet or Good Sam before you started out?  Since you were immobilized you could have called them and have a tow truck come out and lift the car off of the tow dolly.  Then they would tow it to a qualified repair shop if the problem didn't clear itself once the weight was off the front tires.

If you didn't, it's not too late.  Coverage usually starts the day after you sign up, they'll email a temporary card to use until the permanent card catches up with you.

Back
Top Bottom