Waving my white flag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amanda, Lou kind of glossed over this in his post, but didn't really ask the question. 
Does the tow dolly you're using have a plate that swivels that the car's wheels sit on, or is it just fixed in place?  Each system requires a different setup.  If there's a swivel plate, you can leave the steering wheel locked.  If there's not a swivel plate, you have to leave the steering unlocked. 
If the steering wheel is locked on a non-swivel setup, you can break the locking tab in the steering column.
With either setup, you leave the transmission in "Park".

It's not just on tow dollies.  The wife had this happen in a parking lot where she turned the wheel hard into a tight parking spot which was a bit downhill and then turned off the engine and got out.  Tried to start it on return and same indications as Amanda had.  Thankfully our friend the Ford salesman came to her aid and, as you did Amanda, tugged on the wheel and turned the key.  It worked and we learned a valuable lesson which I have since used a couple of times.

Bill

Lou Schneider said:
Maybe even make a duplicate key to leave in the ignition any time the car is on the dolly.

I did this with my last toad, but made a "non chip" key. That way the car couldn't be started (i.e., stolen) but the steering wheel could be unlocked.

Back2PA said:
I did this with my last toad, but made a "non chip" key. That way the car couldn't be started (i.e., stolen) but the steering wheel could be unlocked.
Get a key made (cut) which will unlock the door or steering column.  Do NOT get it programmed so it can not start the car.  You can safely leave this key in the car, knowing the key will not start the car, and drive a would be car thief nuts!!

grashley said:
Get a key made (cut) which will unlock the door or steering column.  Do NOT get it programmed so it can not start the car.  You can safely leave this key in the car, knowing the key will not start the car, and drive a would be car thief nuts!!

Um.... Didn't I just say that? In fact, didn't you just quote me saying that?  ???  Is there an echo in here ?  ;) ;D

My lessons never end lol, today I had one that I thought was going to cost a fortune and it ended up being just about free. (Long story short, when I had the tires replaced on the dolly today, the big bolt in the middle somehow came loose and the whole dolly looked messed up beyond repair. It was a 5 minute fix because they had the right tools but not something I could have done myself. Some guys from the tire place fixed it for nothing so I got them some pizzas for their trouble.)

I have Coachnet and the thought never even occured to me to use it, I need to remember that. My toad also has roadside service through my insurance. I tend to forget that.

Mine is a fixed plate and my son asks every time, did you put it in neutral? I know what he means, but it's a good reminder in case I somehow forget to leave it unlocked.

My key is one that has to be in the car for the car to start. So while I have the key, I turn the ignition where it needs to be to tow it. The door won't lock because it's in that position so my doors remain unlocked while I tow. I keep the key with me so nobody can start it or even turn it on.

I have a spare car key in the motorhome and I have spare motorhome keys to the door locks in the car. The ignition key stays in the motorhome so there's no chance of losing it. The door keys are with my car key. So if someone got ahold of my keys, they can get in the motorhome but can't drive it (unless they happen to find my ignition key)  The gas caps don't have keys. But I'm sure some day along the way, I'll still manage to lock myself out of something, it just seems inevitable with how things are going lol

You may want to get a hide a key and keep a spare set somewhere under the hood, etc.  https://smile.amazon.com/Master-Lock-207D-Magnetic-Holder/dp/B003WXGLS2

Isaac-1 said:
You may want to get a hide a key and keep a spare set somewhere under the hood, etc.  https://smile.amazon.com/Master-Lock-207D-Magnetic-Holder/dp/B003WXGLS2
Even better, put one of these in the LP compartment: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-5400D-Combination-Portable/dp/B0002YP1VC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=5L181S3QIF6J&keywords=real+estate+combination+lock+box&qid=1565346777&s=hi&sprefix=real+estate+%2Ctools%2C990&sr=1-3

Since the LP compartment can't be locked, you'll never be locked out of being able to access the lockbox.

Just to keep the situation confused, I have installed a small button that will isolate the fuse which supplies battery power (rather than having to remove the fuse) BUT with the ignition key in the ACC position and the fuse isolation button engaged the key CANNOT be removed.  That actually is convenient because I have to start the vehicle for about 5 minutes two or three times per day to circulate the tranny oil.  BTW I have a 4 wheel down toad not a dolly.

Isaac-1 said:

That one says "not intended for use on cars" ... likely because magnet is not strong enough to withstand rolling vibrations, and/or plastic could melt when exposed to engine heat. But we get the idea, and a good one for keeping a spare key hidden someplace. ;)

Odd, I have been using that exact one on my coach for 2 years, I have no idea why they say not for use on vehicles.

Or you could wrap the spare key in plastic wrap, then hide it under a piece of duct tape in an inconspicuous spot on the vehicle's frame or inside the engine bay.  The plastic wrap keeps the duct tape adhesive off of the key.

Within a couple of hundred miles road dirt will cover the tape and it will look like it's part of a repair that's been there forever.

When you need it, just peel off the tape and unwrap the key.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom