Buffalo wings and Bud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Paul is the expert on Bureaucracy. Ask him about his dealings with the DVLA. I tried telling him to drive down to Swansea and buy a few pints for a key DVLA employee at the local Plough and Harrow; That would have made things go a lot smoother.
[edit]Typo[/edit]

Point taken.
Does that work in the US?
I guess you have to take the official to Hooters for vhot Buffalo wings and vcold Bud.
;D ;D ;D

take the official to Hooters

ah - the real reason for the visit to the US always comes out in the end - eh Tom?  ;D

Amazing that he knows nothing of RVs, Insurance, Visas, Campgrounds etc - but he's done his research on Hooters.  ;D ;D

Paul

UK-RV said:
...but he's done his research on Hooters.

LOL it seems that you're right there Paul. A man with his own priorities  ;D

Hi Tom / Paul
I guess you're right, my visits to the States must have corrupted me. Especially when my friends introduced me to places like BYOB bars that get raided by some form of armed police militia wearing balaclavas. Are BYOB bars peculiar to Florida? Sorry, maybe we should go no farther with this topic, its got nothing to do with motorhomes and I should stop digging.

Figured I'd split these messages off into their own topic.

Are BYOB bars peculiar to Florida?

BYOB as in Bring Your Own Bottle?  Some cities have "bottle clubs", which are a ploy to allow liquor service after hours. The idea is that it is a private club and you own your own bottle of booze, which is kept there for your use. Typically such places flaunt the rules and sell drinks to anybody who can talk their way through the door (and it ain't that hard), which I suppose could lead to raids by the various authorities.

I've run into this sort of establishment wherever liquor rules are highly restrictive (South Carolina comes to mind) and in places (e.g. Fort Lauderdale-Miami area) where the party never stops and there are those who can't bear to see the pubs closed for even a few hours a day. ANd a few hours a day is all that pubs are closed in most parts of Florida (it is subject to local control as well as statewide regulation)

Methinks it's bring your own booze, bottle or otherwise. When we lived in the UK we used to bring along a keg, because a bottle didn't last very long  ;D

LOL Tim, sounds like something sons would say to their parents  ;D  BTW I've never been either.

A few years ago I took my son Drew who played football for Illinois State and his roomy to dinner while in town for a few hours. When I asked where they wanted to go they both said Hooters!

We got there fairly early and the boys ordered drinks and a large plate of chicken wings. It took about 10 minutes for the girls to find out  they were playing ball for ISU (They both were 6'4" and about 275#) and we ended up with about 6 girls stopping by every few minutes asking if they needed anything.

It was my first (and only) visit to Hooters and we got a lot more attention than the average customer.

In the South, as Gary said, it was bring your own bottle, 'cause local bars could only serve wine and beer. You bought your own booze at a government authorized "Red Dot" store, brought it to the club, and paid for the "set-ups" - glasses and ice. IIRC, you had to keep your bottle in the brown paper bag.

Karl said:
In the South, as Gary said, it was bring your own bottle, 'cause local bars could only serve wine and beer. You bought your own booze at a government authorized "Red Dot" store, brought it to the club, and paid for the "set-ups" - glasses and ice. IIRC, you had to keep your bottle in the brown paper bag.

brown paper bag. classy.  :-\

There are still BYOB places in Texas.  There are many counties and cities that don't sell hard liquor (or beer or wine).  Some clubs don't have a liquor license even though they have a beer license.  You are allowed to bring in a bottle of liquor, wine, or beer in many restaurants that do not sell it.

One of the strangest things to me was when we were in Indiana and our friends took us to Walgreens to buy a bottle of bourbon.  Then in Wisconsin they had hard liquor in the grocery store.  In Texas you can get beer or wine in a grocery store if the city allows it, but you still must go to a liquor store (or package store) to buy hard liquor.

Before Walgreens closed down their liquor departments in AZ, we used to say we went to the drug store for liquor and Mexico for drugs :)  Now most of the large chain grocery stores have liquor sections, just like WI.

In Colorado you can only get 3.2 beer or malt drinks in the grocery stores. Everything else comes from the liquor store. Was quite a shock when we moved here from California....what do you mean I can't buy my wine the same time I buy my groceries...isn't it one of the 4 major food groups???

As for Hooters (the restaurant), I feel sorry for those of you who haven't been. Great wings and great boiled shrimp. Regular hangout when I was traveling and wanted to watch Nascar, eat shrimp, and drink beer. And we got a really good deal on Broncos-Chargers tickets at the one near Qualcomm stadium (Marines whomped Navy in the bar....long story).

Enjoy
Wendy

I've been to Hooters once.  2 male friends dragged dh & I there after work one day.  I don't drink beer, and I REALLY needed a drink that day.  I don't care for wings either.  So they scarfed their wings and beer so we could go to a REAL bar.

Don't like chicken, don't drink booze, and don't like professional sports since they are all fixed anyway except for bull riding and I am confident they haven't yet figured out how to by the bulls off yet.  Do like shrimp but not if I have to listen to some ballgame while eating them. ;D ;D ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom