Slide outs....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tebpac

Hi all,
    I was looking through the library (great by the way!) but didn't see anything regarding slides that I wanted to ask.  Are slides designed to be flush with the wall of the trailer when put in?  I didn't notice this before when we took possession. (that's on me). When I put out slide, I can hear the clutch engage at the end (clicking noise).  When I put it in, I do not hear the clutch engage but it appears to be fully closed on the inside. When looking at it closed on the outside, I notice about a finger breadth of room that I can see between the slide and trailer wall. I can feel the seals in there and it all seems solid the whole way around. 

Tebpac said:
Hi all,
    I was looking through the library (great by the way!) but didn't see anything regarding slides that I wanted to ask.  Are slides designed to be flush with the wall of the trailer when put in?  I didn't notice this before when we took possession. (that's on me). When I put out slide, I can hear the clutch engage at the end (clicking noise).  When I put it in, I do not hear the clutch engage but it appears to be fully closed on the inside. When looking at it closed on the outside, I notice about a finger breadth of room that I can see between the slide and trailer wall. I can feel the seals in there and it all seems solid the whole way around.

Hard to say without pictures but if the slide is even all the way around and the seals are compressed against the side you're probably OK

Tebpac said:
Here ya go....About the same all the way around.

Can't be certain but from the picture it appears the slide is not moving all the way in so that the rubber seals firmly against the rig

Tebpac said:
Here ya go....About the same all the way around.

That doesn't look right. If the gap is equal all the way around, I'd be looking for something stopping it from going all the way in.
Have you tried to have someone push on it while it's closing?

The slide should fit tighter than that, but it could be only cosmetic. As long as it closes tight enough for the seal to compress against the sidewall, water & air will be kept out. Doesn't look that way in the photo, though.

Generally, a slide seals via a D-shaped rubber strip on the flange where the slide overlaps the sidewall. The D-shell rubber is compressed against the sidewall to form an air and water tight seal. If the slide doesn't pull in tight enough, the seal can leak. If it isn't compressed at all, it is sure to leak.

From the dealer:

Good Morning Todd,
    I received your email with photos concerning your slide.  I had my other service advisor look at them and he said as long as the seals r touching it should be ok.  You are scheduled for your 60 day follow up appt on October 14 and we can take a look at it at that time.  Now with that being said, should you have any further issues such as slide out operation or leaks, please call and we will try to get you into our shop as soon as feasibly possible.  Thank you and have a great day.

Gonna take a closer look tomorrow.  Fingers crossed. #welcometoRVing  :D

Thanks for the input

And one comment from the manufacturer forum:They all look fine to me.

It's impossible to get it flush as the flange has to be outside the wall.

As long as the seals are compressed, you are good.

It appears that is a "Grand Design" thing when you bring your slide in or out you must hold the button for an extra 5 secs for it to engage, once it is engaged you will see it doesn't look flush on the bottom usually left hand side. They said that is normal, hope this helped

NanaW said:
It appears that is a "Grand Design" thing when you bring your slide in or out you must hold the button for an extra 5 secs for it to engage, once it is engaged you will see it doesn't look flush on the bottom usually left hand side. They said that is normal, hope this helped

Pretty much described it.  Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom