First time taking my pop up to camping - at night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Camper054 said:
BinaryBob, UTTransplant, you got me interested and probably many others curious to know your 'stories'...would you care to share, please? :).

Thanks all!

About 35 years ago, we had a 1971 Grand Prix pop-up (AKA: The Green Beast). Weighed a ton. While backing into a site around 10 PM I failed to have a firepit spotter. Dropped in the left pop-up tire. It was a deep pit. Had to dig a small trench to fit a scissor jack under to lift it up and push it out. Had a lot of help from surrounding campers who saw it and came over. Very embarrassing, but if you run into a jam help is not far away.

The bal leveler is just a simple frame that cradles a single axle tire,and has a jack screw to lift it. 
Level it front to back with the tongue jack, then cradle the BAL around the low side tire and ratchet drive the screw till the bubble is in the middle side to side....lower the stabilizers and done.

BinaryBob said:
About 35 years ago, we had a 1971 Grand Prix pop-up (AKA: The Green Beast). Weighed a ton. While backing into a site around 10 PM I failed to have a firepit spotter. Dropped in the left pop-up tire. It was a deep pit. Had to dig a small trench to fit a scissor jack under to lift it up and push it out. Had a lot of help from surrounding campers who saw it and came over. Very embarrassing, but if you run into a jam help is not far away.

Thanks so much for sharing your incident!  I am sure, it will remind us to be extra careful...
MC

Hi you all-

Just to put a closure on this topic, I want to let you all know (forgot to mention previously), we would be carrying four bikes on our camper (it has a bike rack).  This adds additional complication and time at night.  I am not a tall person, so will be needing to get my step ladder out of my truck and take the bikes off before raising the roof.  The bikes on the camper will also hinder my sight.  And, as many of you asked - to be respectful to other campers and not messing something up myself by trying to set up the camper first time at this late hour, when myself and everyone is tired (school, marching band, work, etc,).  The best thing for us would be to start as early as possible the next morning.  (Shhhhh, please do not tell this to my friends who are still expecting me to be at the campsite the night, as of now :).

Again, thanks to all of you for sharing your experience, suggestions and voicing concerns.
MC

If there's enough room, pull forward into the site, set up the trailer where it sits, maybe even still connected to the car, and get some sleep.  In the morning pack up the trailer, back the combo out of the site, then back it in normally.

I moved ours once when we were assigned a terrible site. The next day the owner offered us an upgrade so I pushed in the front bunk, hooked up and very slowly drive across the campground. By the time we got to the new site everyone around us cheered!

Update:

We had a GREAT first PUP camping trip. There were 8 families and lots of kids - everybody had tons of fun. It was a good decision - all along - to go next day early morning. Didn't get a chance to start as early as we could, but it wasn't too bad. Little details and backing up to the site wasn't as easy and would be terrible at night. I would not suggest anyone to be at the campsite late night/in dark and set up. I can understand if situation is unavoidable, but if possible, I would not do it myself, even when I 'become' an experienced camper! :).

Posting some pics - not showing the folks...next time we will be more organized and will be taking the awning (I need to sew the bag with the rail) as well as other stuff to make it look nicer and more enjoyable.

MANY MANY thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions. Take care, you'll.
MC

Attachments

• FirstCamping.jpg
    FirstCamping.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 28
Looks Great  :))  Here in the Midwest, Fall camping is our favorite.  Just a warning, not sure where you live, but if you are making camping plans, reserve them on your state reservation system.  Often times that system shows pictures, as well as zooming with google maps helps pick out good sites.  Enjoy.

SpencerPJ said:
Looks Great  :))  Here in the Midwest, Fall camping is our favorite.  Just a warning, not sure where you live, but if you are making camping plans, reserve them on your state reservation system.  Often times that system shows pictures, as well as zooming with google maps helps pick out good sites.  Enjoy.

HI!  Yes, I am in the midwest - great state of Indiana :).  And, yes, you are absolutely correct - not easy to find a campground unless reservations are made wayyy ahead of time!  We camped last weekend and again getting ready to camp at Hoosier National Park tomorrow.  All reservable sites are gone, but there are good number of walk-ins available.  This time, it will be only us (our family) and not others - so , hopefully it will be peaceful and relaxing for us.

We thought about going to the Smoky mountains, but nothing available.  I will be reserving some of the campgrounds from now on as soon as they are available.  May have to cancel some, but I am okay to pay the cancellation fee if I have to :).

Thanks and happy/safe camping to you all!
MC

Camper054 said:
HI!  Yes, I am in the midwest - great state of Indiana :).
Me as well, live close to Greenwood, south of Indianapolis.  We're heading to Mounds State Park in Anderson, have a kid at Ball State.  Never been there in all the years.  If you want to do late fall Brown County, you better be on that reserve site  ;).  Have a great Weekend.  Been to Hoosier Nat Forest plenty, nice place.  We had a ski boat for many years, would frequent Paynetown as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom