F-150 Crew Cab real world weights anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blw2

What is your real world measured weight, for your late model F-150 crew cab?...and what sort of trim/options are on it?

I'll be needing to start thinking about a new daily driver pickup in the coming months, so I'm starting some more 'serious' research to settle on what I "want"...then I'll see if I can find what I want at a reasonably decent deal....

I've been leaning towards a Ford for a few different reasons...yeah, yeah, a whole other discussion I know....
I'm also leaning towards going 4x4 this time, even though I really don't need 4x4.  The primary reason is potentially towing it. 

I know to tow behind my current MH I really should be looking at something a good bit smaller, but just thinking about potentials and if it might be even close to possible to tow.

I'm assuming those published weight numbers I see would probably be for a stripped down base model XL or whatever, with no options....but based on what I'm seeing I might be able to make it work.  I'm trying to figure out a ballpark added weight for a say a typically outfitted Lariat trim package.  I'm not even a little bit interested in anything like the Raptor...jacked up, big wheels and tires, etc... I know that would take the weights up even more...but I wouldn't want that sort of thing anyway.  I'm just after a strait forward truck with "street tires" ... probably a Lariat.

Thanks

My long bed crew cab F250 clocks in at 7640. I would guess you'd be in the low to mid 6000 range with a short bed crew cab 4x4 F150

My 2002 Dodge 1/2 ton crew cab 4x4 came in at 6900, but trucks are much lighter now. My Ford's tailgate alone probably weighs 40 lbs less than the old Dodge's

My F350 LB  Super Cab Lariat has 550 lbs of options.  No sun roof.  Calculated as book Payload minus Yellow Placard Payload.  Similar results when truck was weighed, corrected for my wt and fuel level (to estimate true curb wt) and compared to book base wt.

A word of caution:  My Lariat 4X4 is NOT towable.  The 4WD system, is an auto shift when the dash knob is turned, and there is no Neutral position.  As  general rule, the XL 4WD system will be towable.  The Platinum and Limited 4WD system will NOT be towable.  I am not sure where the line is drawn.

Usually a floor mounted shift lever means the transfer case can be put into neutral to let the vehicle be towed 4 down.  Dash controls don't have a neutral position so they aren't towable.

There are some exceptions depending on the internal layout of the transfer case.  For example the Toyota FJ Cruiser isn't towable 4 down even though it's transfer case has a floor mounted shift lever with a neutral position.

I've wondered about that.... I have no experience with 4wd since the 1966 Ford Bronco I had back in the 80's..... getting out and locking the front hubs with the little quarter turn thing at each wheel.....well unless you count the times I've compared various trucks with limited slip 2wd against friends' 4x4's in snow and mud...and won.
regardless...according to remco's site and other things I've read, the ford 4x4's can be towed as-is 4 down.  They don't have mechanical floor shifters, but I'm not sure how they work....

Have you looked at the GM and Chevy smaller trucks.  I think they're called the Canyon and Colorado.  When we looked at them in 2016, they're both towable 4 down.  I'm pretty sure they're well under 5,000 lbs. 

In the referenced article, Car & Driver shows the specs on a 2019 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 with 5.0L V8 and lists the curb weight as 4922 for that configuration.  You can select a bunch of different F150 configurations if you want to compare.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/f-150/specs

Lou Schneider said:
Usually a floor mounted shift lever means the transfer case can be put into neutral to let the vehicle be towed 4 down.  Dash controls don't have a neutral position so they aren't towable.

On my 3500 Ram it has a dash control and it does have the neutral position and is towable so there are exceptions...?..

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Car & Driver shows the specs on a 2019 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 with 5.0L V8 and lists the curb weight as 4922 for that configuration. 

Wow, I was off by half a ton. They really have shaved the weight on the new trucks ('course, they'll really lighten your wallet too! ;) )

Gary RV_Wizard said:
In the referenced article, Car & Driver shows the specs on a 2019 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 with 5.0L V8 and lists the curb weight as 4922 for that configuration.  You can select a bunch of different F150 configurations if you want to compare.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/f-150/specs

wow, great find Gary.  Thank you!  That is nearly perfect for what I was looking for. The only thing that might be better would be some actual real measured weights...but then that introduces lots more unknowns and variables.

now my understanding is that the curb weight includes full gas, oil, fluids...but zero cargo....so as long as I keep the dirt out and the junk and permanent tool kit load very small I might be able to make it work at least theoretically.

garyb1st said:
Have you looked at the GM and Chevy smaller trucks.  I think they're called the Canyon and Colorado.  When we looked at them in 2016, they're both towable 4 down.  I'm pretty sure they're well under 5,000 lbs.

I have considered them briefly a few times....since honestly I'm mostly not using the truck bed and I think it would be more logical to get something smaller, easier to park, etc...  It seems like the SMART move.
But then I remember back many years ago when i swore to myself I'd never buy another small truck!

I've owned an old datsun king cab truck..actually it might have been right after they changed to nissan...and I had a little standard cab Chevy Luv truck too.  Those things were so small that if I had a backpack from school, or a winter coat with me...I could barely bring along a passenger!

My real data point though, is a Nissan Frontier...2000 model I think...give or take a couple years.  It had a V6 engine.  I traded it on my silverado I'm currently driving.  The silverado 1500 with big V8 engine has more power, much more comfortable ride, gets actually slightly better fuel economy, roomier cab, and of course larger bed with more weight capacity.  Even though the nissan was a bit smaller, it wasn't any easier to park.

Those newer mid sized ones are probably very nice...probably much nicer than the old Nissan, but the specs don't show by much sadly.  A coworker of mine just got a new ranger lariat that looks great too....but when I look at the economy ratings and other specs it seems that there really isn't much advantage.

As of 2013, Ford defined : 
BASE weight was the weight of the configuration (cab, bed, drive train) with base trim and no options.  Full fluids and fuel.  No passengers or cargo.
CURB weight is the weight of the truck as configured with options, full fluids and fuel, no passengers or cargo.

If you change options within a configuration and weights change, you know it really is curb wt.  I know a couple years ago on the Ford site, build your own, the Payload did not change for a given configuration regardless of trim line.  A XL and Platinum showed the same payload.  FALSE ADVERTISING!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom