Montana or Bust....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Sofa King

Pittsburgh, pa (zombietown) Go Steelers!!
t minus 2 days and counting... leaving friday night... hope the "steeller express" is really up t o the task she seems to be purring like a kitten... (knock on wood)!!!  wish me luck... i'll update as i can..

any last minute suggestions?

mike

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.  Let us know if you get near Lewistown, Mt I will give you directions to Sam's Camp.

We'll be leaving in about two weeks - should be in Montana a week to ten days after that.  We've got some stops along the way.

Looking forward to the trip and hope that it's not too hot while we're there.  Still planning on making it to Lewistown.

Mike,

You'll receive a very warm welcome at Sam's camp. The campground hosts are wonderful folks and Shirley, the campground manager, is also a very nice lady.

Mike,

If you get near Belgrade there is a long driveway, power and water waiting.  Sam's camp is not the only place in MT but I do admit it is a bit better than our drive!  VBG

well.... we are leaving tonght... i have been working my a$$ off getting ready for the trip  still so much to get done... gotta fill up my water tanks...  find some place to store my spare tire, tools... spare parts... hook up the sirius out of my wife's car..etc... etc....

we may take a jaunt up that way (livingston) especially after i saw the trout you guys got..!!!!...  My mom lives in Butte so thats where we will be "camped"...

hope the trip goes well...

if it doesnt it wast because of the lack of effort....lol  whew!!! i am beat..!!

see ya on the road!!!

The Sofa King said:
we may take a jaunt up that way (livingston) especially after i saw the trout you guys got..!!!!...   My mom lives in Butte so thats where we will be "camped"...

Sam's Camp is in Lewistown not Livingston.  Lewistown is the center of the state of Montana.

well...  6 tires.... 2 alternator belts.... 1 electric fan and 1 busted toilet water line later and we made it....  i learned exactly how little i knew about tires this trip...  the tires looked brand new... no checking no cracking nothing... so i thought i'd b e ok... blew a tire 45 minutes into my trip... slept at walmart...  found out they dont stock 16.5  tires...  found some really close... thought i needed one... actually needed  6...  turned out they were made in 1992... whoda thunk it..  they were all de-laminating and the tread was coming off on the inside.....860$ later i was back on the road...    other than  the other little stuff ( that i was prepared for)  it went pretty smooth...  got a solid 11 mpg over all with my best being 12.6 worst being 8.9  ( going over granite pass) ...

now for the weird part...  one of my good friends and his wife fell in love with my little MH  and made me an offer i couldnt refuse.. so  i am on my way back driving the car i actually planned on towing with a small uhaul in tow.......

and go figure...  my fuel pump ( with about 500 miles on it) took a crap on me in Gillette WY...  so here i sit.. at the roach motel with my 2 kids and my dog... ... my rocket of a mustang sitting in the parking lot waiting to be taken to  a mechanic at the local ford dealers personal home to be repaired (luckily for me)..  it was cheaper to have him do the work with his discount on parts  than it would be for me to pay full price for the pump and do it my self...

it took a crap after i filled up with a tank of  mid grade gas.. with 10% ethanol...  i am pretty sure that is the culprit..  the mecahnaic says that suff should be outlawed... it plays hell with fuel pumps.. and all the plastic fittings in the evap system..

i should have drove the MH back it would have been more reliable..

my wife is mutterin never again in her sleep right now... i am apt to agree with her right now.......

We're hitting the road Monday morning.  We plan to stop the 13th and 14th near Wichita, Kansas.  We'll be in North Platte, Nebraska, the 15th though the 18th.  The 19th and 20th we're thinking of Badlands National Park and will move over to the Mt. Rushmore area for the 21st and 22nd.  The 23rd will probably be Devils Tower National Monument and then we'll be heading to Lewistown, so it looks right now that we'll be there around the 24th.

Of course, all of this is subject to change, particularly if we run into problems along the way.

We'll be in and out of this terrible heat :mad: today and tomorrow, taking care of all of the last minute stuff - like up setting misters so some of the plants might survive this brutal heat while we're gone.

We plan to be back home around the 30th of September. ;D

made it all the way to from PA to montana... 2124 miles..  the guy who bought it was an old friend from Butte.. ( where i grew up in montana)

enjoyed the time there with my mom... i was only about 6 hrs off schedule on the way there.. i am 12 hrs off right now... lets hope that i don't have any more down time..... i wanted to stop at the water park in Dells Wisconsin... if i have any more down time  there is no way...

flipity fleepin ethanol gas..!!! never again....

Mike, I hope you made a few bucks on the motorhome sale.  There's another one out there that is just right for you, but check the tire date codes next time :)

The Sofa King said:
it took a crap after i filled up with a tank of  mid grade gas.. with 10% ethanol...  i am pretty sure that is the culprit..  the mecahnaic says that suff should be outlawed... it plays hell with fuel pumps.. and all the plastic fittings in the evap system..

Mike,

I think that "mechanic" is feeding you a line of bull. I don't know what year your Mustang is but they have been putting up to 10% ethanol in gas for years. Any vehicle less than 10 years old should have no problem with 10% ethanol. It is mandated by law in a lot of states. Some vehicles can burn up to 80% ethanol now. It's the fuel of the future as we try to wean ourselves from the black stuff.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
... I don't know what year your Mustang is but they have been putting up to 10% ethanol in gas for years. Any vehicle less than 10 years old should have no problem with 10% ethanol...

I think he has a 1994 Mustang...

yup...94...  and the screen was plugged solid... just like Dallas (the  mechanic) said it would be.. the ethanol takes all the  crud  that built up on the inside  of the tank off ... and it plugs up the screen... then the pump starves for gas then it burns up...

the car sat for the last 2 years..

Back
Top Bottom