Car dealers and Toads...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I had a conversation a week or so ago that gave me quite a chuckle. A fellow in the campground noticed that we tow a GMC Acadia and knocked on our door to ask "What did you have to do to tow that?" I wanted a big SUV like that but I've got the only one you can tow without modifications!"  After a few questions back and forth, I learned that he had recently bought his motorhome and then went around to car dealers to find a vehicle he could tow without mods. Preferred an SUV but couldn't find one. Claims he went to Ford, Chevy, GMC, Suzuki, Honda, Toyota and all said "nope, can't do it". Finally found a Saturn dealer who said yes and sold him a Vue.  He was incredulous when I explained that all of them (except Toyota) had towable SUVs. And that just about all Jeeps are towable as well.  He was from Ohio, by the way, though he shopped in both Ohio and Indiana.

Just another example of the appalling lack of information at dealerships (car and RV) concerning 4 down (dinghy) towing. And another reason newbies should ask here before they go shopping.

Just look at how ,any dealers loose sales due to lake of knowledge of the product they are selling.  Sure doesn't help the prosective customer.

Here's a thought...and having recently purchased a toad based on info. from this Forum.  Would it be possible to create a list of vehicles which have been or are currently being towed (4 down) with/without modification?  I know there is a the Dinghy Towing Guide, but it doesn't address all vehicles, nor does it refer to older vehicles.    Some personal experiences would be a great help to prospective toad purchasers and could be a great reference tool in the library.  Older, reliable vehicles, which may have been in the family for years could make excellent toads, but just a little passed their 'day' - Kinda like a Designated Hitter...

BT

Keep that thought Buddy. You want to put it together and update it periodically? Seems like a lot of work and I'm not sure it would provide more info than a phone call to Remco could achieve.

Here's one for your list:  1980 Toyota Corona, manual transmission. Towed it many miles behind our old Pace Arrow before it (the Toyota) was totaled - see photo.

Here's another:  1984 Ford Bronco (full size), 4WD, auto transmission.

Attachments

• Toyota.jpg
    Toyota.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 46
Gary,

Sure would be nice if the sales personnel would get out the manual and read it when a question like that comes up! Same in the RV world. So many do not know much about the product they are selling. Then there are those that will tell you what you want to hear.

I believe the back issues of the Trailer Life towing guides are available on line.  I don't know how far back they go.  When I have time, I'll go see what I can find.  Of course, a call to Remco will get the answer for any particular vehicle.

Jim Dick said:
Gary,

Sure would be nice if the sales personnel would get out the manual and read it when a question like that comes up! Same in the RV world. So many do not know much about the product they are selling. Then there are those that will tell you what you want to hear.

That is the big problem there are just too many dealers that will just tell you what ever they think you need to hear to make a sale.  Not one bit of concern that what they are telling you may put your safety at risk.

Neither can I Robert. The tow truck driver told me he hadn't seen anyone survive something like that. She came away with just cuts and bruises.

She was wearing a seat belt, although that could have been a problem. The car was upside down, the door jammed, she couldn't undo the seat belt, it was dark and she could smell gas. Thank goodness for the Fish and Game warden who saw her headlights in the field and went after what he thought was a poacher. That was 1990 I still vividly remember waking up around 6.00am that morning when the phone rang; It was the DFG officer and his first words were "Mr. Jones, your wife is OK".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom