Hurricane Dorian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neat site (windy.com). Also, a really good phone/iPad app is Ventusky. It is  free.

OK folks, we are about an hour from a Cat 2 Dorion landfall here in Nova Scotia.  Wish you folks would have turned it out to sea as promised.  Dorian, the gift that keeps on giving.  :(

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    OK folks, we are about an hour from a Cat 2 Dorion landfall here in Nova Scotia.  Wish you folks would have turned it out to sea as promised.  Dorian, the gift that keeps on giving.  :(

Ed

Ed, when was the last time a hurricane made it that far north?

You and Donna stay safe.

Hfx_Cdn said:

Ed
Hang on to your hat Ed, and good luck as you batten down for this one.

Hfx_Cdn said:

Ed

Just get you a Sharpie and change the map.  ::)

Rene T said:
Ed, when was the last time a hurricane made it that far north?

You and Donna stay safe.
Many times hurricanes have gone that far north:

August 26, 1873: The Nova Scotia Hurricane of 1873 drifted south of Nova Scotia as a Category 3 hurricane. It weakened to a Category 1 before slowly making landfall in Newfoundland. It was a devastating hurricane that killed over 600. Damage in Nova Scotia was severe. It destroyed over 1,200 boats and over 900 homes and businesses. This is one of Nova Scotia's worst cyclones.

Here is a bunch more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canada_hurricanes

Hurricane Juan hit in almost the exact same location as Dorian is now projected to hit, and that was Sept 29, 2003.  It too was a Cat 2, and it did a lot of damage as it crossed the Maritimes.  Dorian is a lot larger, so all bets are off.  Usually, hurricanes lose most of their fury as they hit the cooler north Atlantic, but with global warming, it actually picked up intensity after heading out of North carolina.
    Old Crow, I tried the sharpie, but it didn't work any better for me than for others in changing the direction. 

Ed

I didn't have to worry about Dorian changing direction, it came, went almost overhead, heavy winds and lots of rain.  But it was moving at about 30 MPH so it didn't stick around long.  They referred to it as a Post Tropical storm with category 2 wind speeds.  Whatever that means, I don't know other than they said it had developed "typical weather patterns" ????
    Once the eye went over, the wind just stopped.  Now I've got a bunch of leaves to rake, but no damage.  Others were not so lucky, the house across the street had a large tree uprooted and blown over,  and there are a lot of areas without power, plus the storm surge did some damage along the coast line.

another weather nerd here....I also saved that windy.com link...looks interesting.

For tropical wx, I used to primarily visit
http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/Default.asp?WT.mc_id=100028
  (seems to be down at the moment)
but more recently I've liked
https://spaghettimodels.com/
  it's a good place to link to several different things...I like that from one source you can bounce to the official nws, but also look at a couple sources for the forecast models+ go to info about the recon aircraft stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom