July number continue to be low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My income and income tax has been exactly the same the last few years. This last February my taxes were $300 less. And since I buy a lot of Chinese goods I know that savings was wiped out.

SeilerBird said:
We are not discussing farmers here PJ....

"At least the family farm doesn't have to be sold to pay inheritance tax. "  I was responding to the post of Conquest 2011

SargeW said:
Wow, that's still 460,000 NEW Rv's so far this year.  It may be down from last year, but to me those numbers are still amazing.  No wonder RV spots are getting harder to come by.....

Good point.  I wonder how many RV's are retired each year??  Probably an impossible number to come by since some probably just retire in a field until a tree grows up through them. 

Seems like the market could cool off until more sites are developed.  :))

PJ Stough said:
With so many changes in the tax code, it is not easy to determine as a group who is better off and who is not.  The biggest complaint that you hear the most was that the tax changes were so top heavy.

Aren't all tax reductions going to be top heavy since the income producing lower 45% or so pay almost no taxes?  You cant reduce 0 unless someone is spinning it and saying they should get a tax refund when they haven't paid anything in.

Yes taxes do tend to be top heavy, a 3 percentage on 100 will not be as much as on 1000.  Next, if taking a 2nd mortgage to buy an RV, is still deductible, a loan for an RV is still deductible.  I have checked numerous sources, the change was a lowered limit on the amount of the loan, with $750,000 now vs. the $1,000,000 it was,  I think for the most part our group would still be OK. 

The new standard worked for me, we had nowhere near the standard deductions!  So the raise helped.  My only situation this past year was working in a taxing state on a 1099, but that had nothing to do with the fed tax.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,124084.0/topicseen.html

Don't know the history of Newmar's financials, and as a privately held corporation there's going to be lots of speculation, but from my simple perspective, it's another indication that the industry is going south.  At least regarding  the manufacture of luxury motorhomes.  For the luxury motorhome industry to succeed it requires two ingredients.  First buyers who are interested in the RV lifestyle.  Second, and more important, buyers who have the assets to afford the lifestyle. 

Despite what we are told every day, I'm not sure we have the greatest economy in the history of our country.  That would require a growing middle class.  A middle class that had assets, minimal debt and what is probably the most significant element of retiree financial security, a pension.  Sadly, except for public sector employees, a pension is something most retirees following the Baby Boomer Generation will probably not have. 

According to RVIA figures, motorhomes of all types continue to be a niche market with towables outselling powered RVs by almost 8 to 1.  5th wheel trailers outsell Class A motorhomes 4 to 1.

Given the low motorhome numbers, it's not surprising to see some consolidation taking place.

garyb1st said:
But the big question, will those new billionaires buy motorhomes?    ;)

Sailing yachts.  They buy sailing yachts so they can "go green" with wind power (on million dollar boats). :)

I want one too but I'd need a crew (sailing is a lot of hard work). 

Nobody has pointed out or analyzed why the class c market only went down by 3.1% in July.

SeilerBird said:
Because one month of sales is pretty pointless for drawing conclusions.

Yes, but the yearly totals are considerably different also.

TheBar said:
Nobody has pointed out or analyzed why the class c market only went down by 3.1% in July.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say price point. Since a Class C is a lot easier to get into than a bigger Class A, or even a B van, it would make sense that many entry level buyers wanting a motorized RV would look at Class C rigs first.  A pre-owned 5 year old class C can be had very reasonably.

Back
Top Bottom