My Health

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Godward

My retirement from active RVing came about because of having to live with oxygen on a continuous basis due to having a disease called idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.  Look if up if you want the details but there is no effective treatment and definitely no cure.  When younger and in worse shape than I am, the cure is a lung transplant so none for me.

Suffice it to say I will and am slowly sliding down a slippery slope.  There is a couple of drugs that purport to slow the disease and I can take one of them, the other does similar so I am on the best there is.  Fortunately my drug coverage covers it as it is over $8000/ month otherwise. 

We are in the Portland Oregon area and are close to some family so will probably stay here for the future.

I wall continue to monitor the Forum and input as I find appropriate.

Sorry to hear it Jim. I feel for you. I was diagnosed with emphysema a few years ago and there is no cure for it either other than a lung transplant and at my age that is not an option. So far I am not needing supplemental oxygen and I hope it stays that way. Sounds like your disease has no real known reason for it which is a bummer. I know how I got mine, from those damn cigarettes. Old age certainly is not for the wimps but the alternative is worse. Keep your head up and really enjoy the rest of your life. I am glad you are near family.

We miss you being close to us outside of Bozeman, but you are now in the best spot.  Near family and lower altitude.  All the best from Jolene and I. 

Despite the horrible news, it's good to hear from you, Jim.  Have many happy memories of spending time with you Pat.  Why am I suddenly yearning for peanut brittle and lemon bread?  (Thanks for the memorable treats, Pat!)

Surely I am but one of many who value and enjoy your level-headed input on this forum.  Somewhat selfishly I hope your physical impositions won't affect your desire to keep contributing here. 

I came to the same conclusion 2 years ago after my wifes arthritus got to a point she could hardly move.  No fun getting old.  Sadly, Portland may not be the best health wise place to live.  Humidity and mold are bad for the lungs.

For what it's worth Jim, a transplant is not a cure but only an exchange of one disease for another that may allow for a for a better life. At a cost of over a million dollars and the risk of the surgery many cannot get one even if available.
    I believe the figures are that 14 people die everyday waiting on a transplant and only 50% make it to 5 years and 35% live to 8 years. The side effects of the medications are multiple and suck the energy out of you, while destroying your liver, kidney and heart.
    I have the deepest of sympathies for you Jim and know what you are going thru. It breaks my heart when I see someone carrying an oxygen bottle around with them since I know exactly how that feels.  I too have had fibrosis, emphysema, bronchiectasis and pulmonary hypertension but was fortunate enough to have the best transplant team on earth.  Now going on 7 years as of August 29th.
    Wish you the best Jim and relief from the pain.

Jim,

I echo what others have said. As I'm sure you know, you have a number of friends among our members. We've appreciated having you around the forum and your inputs, and you were missed when you disappeared for a while.

Stay safe and enjoy life to the best your health and meds will allow, and visit here when you can.

Glad to hear your coach went to a good home. I'm sure you have many happy memories in that coach, and the new owners will have similarly good times using it.

Jim, we miss your pithy comments!  We're both sorry to hear about that slippery slope and wish nothing but the best for both you and Pat.  Please do come on every now and then, even if it's just to say Hi.  Sending virtual hugs!

Ardra and Jerry

I'm sorry to hear that, don't feel like that means you need to leave here! A lot of us depend on the advice of those of you who have been at this longer than us. Not to mention, if you can't come to us, some of us may come to you lol, I'll be in Portland in less than a month!

Back
Top Bottom